• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Official hello!

Hello everyone. I've been lurking here for awhile but finally decided it's time I officially say hello! My dad was diagnosed with Crohn's at age 13 and his younger brother was also diagnosed young. I've always wondered about my own health and if I would be diagnosed someday but didn't have the symptoms my dad had. January of this year I developed an abscess on my butt cheek that was drained several times by my GP. After several rounds of antibiotics, I was referred to a CR surgeon who performed a fistulotomy. Three months later I hadn't healed so I was referred to a GI. He performed my first colonoscopy and confirmed I had Crohn's in June at the age of 25. I began Remicade and azathioprine immediately and have had two additional EUA's since. I've just had my second colonoscopy and upper endoscopy this week. My GI is believing I'm in remission now (although waiting for confirmation from biopsy results). My fistula has healed but the wound has not. I've had mild-moderate symptoms for about the last two years looking back. Mostly constipation with rare diarrhea, weight loss, abdominal pain, and nausea. I've always had a hard time with dairy so I just assumed I had a sensitive system. But this year has definitely proven me wrong! I'm so glad to have this place of support and information. So here I am!

Angrybird

Hello and welcome to the forum :)

Just to confirm apart from the wound that hasn't healed as things now fully settled for you tummy wise? What dosage of the Aza are you on and how often to you have the Remi infusions? Definetly check out the above mentioned forum so you can have a chat with the folks here as well.

Wishing you all the best.

AB
xx

Thanks for the hello everyone :) To answer your questions, I'm still struggling with stomachaches that come and go and days that my colon just isn't happy. Overall, my symptoms are much more manageable than 6 months ago though! Wound wise, it refuses to heal so the EUAs have been to clean out the non-healing tissues. The most recent one (late Nov) my surgeon put in several stiches to pull the muscles together in a new attempt. I use flagyl ointment and sitz baths frequently which help pain wise but haven't caused significant healing. I see the surgeon this week so hopefully it's good news! Oh, I'm going every 8 weeks for Remicade and take 50 mg of aza daily.

afidz

Super Moderator
I have had quite a bit of experience with non healing wounds, at one point I had 3 very large ones (each about the size of a tennis ball).. Has your doctor considered using a woundvac? Its basically a vacuum that encourages healing from the inside out. Are the wounds deep?

Oh my, I can't imagine how painful those must have been! My wound is quite small now, like a crevice about 2 inches long the surgeon said today. He actually told me it's the best he's seen it look (I've been seeing him since March). So that's good to hear! I'm to keep doing what I'm doing (flagyl ointment & sitz baths) and I'll return in 6 weeks. He hasn't mentioned a wound vac, although I will definitely bring it up at my next appointment.

Just wanted to stop by and welcome you to the community as it appears you are in great hands above. I hope your wound heals quickly and you truly have reached remission, and can maintain that status.
Good luck!! -hugs-

afidz

Super Moderator
the wound vac is works best in deep wounds, so if your wound is pretty small, especially by the time you go back it probably wouldn't be very effective. But its awesome to hear that your wound is getting better!