• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hi everyone I recently got diagnosed with Crohns in April 2012..I have to admit I am new to this and it is a huge live and learn as you go type of illness..I am not use to it and have had several er visits for flare ups since then usually about one every month or so ...I just turned 31 yrs old and have 4 kids to keep up with and I HATE that I losing valuable time with them due to me spending most of it in the bathroom..if anyone has any suggestions to help me get more control over this would be appriciated thanks :sign0085:

Google is a good friend, but remember to cast everything in a skeptical light if it's trying to sell you a product, especially one with risks or side effects of any sort.

The most important thing to do is learn, I neglected this for many years because my condition was controllable for a long time, but there are a lot of small things that effect your bowel behavior and what you think are flare ups might be foods your eating or stress induced.

Some basics are things like keeping a food log and looking at it any time you have issues. Remember that diarrhea is not necessarily the food you ate 7 hours ago finally passing, it can be a food you JUST ATE causing rapid bowel contractions, this caused me confusion for a long time. Other symptoms can be similarly quickly developed from food you just ate, and sometimes it may be that food you ate 7 hours ago. Keeping a log will help you to see trends. You can download calendar programs online that make this much easier to track.

If you don't already one of the first things to do that my nutritionist recommended me was to pick up a simple adult multi-vitamin like Centrum, Crohns already can cause an issue with mal absorption so throwing some much needed vitamins down the pipe is absolutely helpful.

If it's a serious issue and really hurting your day talk to your doctor about trying new or stronger medications.

Angrybird

Hello and welcome to the forum.

I was wondering since the diagnosis if you have been put on any meds and if so which ones? Are you under the care of the GI doc and if so when are you next due to see them? I do agree that it is worth looking at your diet and keeping a diary/log of foods that you notice give you increased symptoms, perhaps for now go on a bland, low residue diet to see if this at least helps a little.

AB
xx

Hi mrsjlj I am Newly diagnosed as well but have been having tummy issues for years. I have done a lot of research on CD and have found one of my best resources for information has been on this forum. Like mentioned above be careful some of the sites google might throw at you, I have come across so many sites trying to sell you something that they claim can cure CD. If you have any questions please feel free to ask them. Talking with people that is living with this disease is a great way to get some unbiased information.

Hi there and welcome to the Forum:)

I am sorry that you are having to go the ER so often! What other medications have you tried since your diagnosis? Also, what other symptoms do you have?

Taking care of 4 kids is no small feat! I can totally relate to how frustrating it is when you can't spend any fun time with your kids, because you do not feel well. I think the answer lies in getting you on the right treatment regimen to hopefully make you feel better. In the meantime, try to come up with some fun ideas for you and the kids to do at home.

Hang in there:)