• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

23 year old female, already undergone surgery

For as long as I can remember, I've always had stomach issues. It was an every day part of life I never put much thought into. My stomach aches and bouts of diarrhea I always contributed to certain foods, that is, until September of 2011. For the next year, about every month, I was expieriencing crippling stomach pains, severe diarrhea, vomit and very high fevers. As I work with young children and do not have health insurence, I always chopped it up to catching "the stomach bug" mutiple times. Upon going to a health clinic, they diagnosed me with "gas pains" several times and said it would pass.

It always did, until September 2012.

I was spending one last day at the beach with some friends when my stomach started bothering me, as it usually did. By the time I returned home that evening the pain in my lower right abdomin had become frighteningly severe. I was unable to walk, and I just knew something was wrong.

Turns out, my lower intestine had perferated and I had a 6cm abscess. An exploratory laporotomy was performed (mid line incision, from just under my belly button to my pubic area) I spent five days recovering in the hospital. I was told that if I had no come to the ER when I had, the abscess would have burst and put me into shock.

The doctors were at a lose for what caused my issue. the surgeon said my intestines and colon did not "look Crohn's". Every doctor I was seeing through the Charity Care in my hospital kept saying the same thing. I was too young (still 22 at the time), too fit, and too healthy for something like this to happen.

It is now December, and after going through multiple batteries of testing, the GI doctor I was referred to HAS diagnosed me with Crohn's Disease.

Since my surgery, I am no longer getting those horrible stomach pains, but I am now in the bathroom 3-4 times a day having very severe diarrhea. This is very new to me, since pre-op the only times I would have such issues would be when consuming dairy or excessive amounts of greasy foods.

Not having health insurence has drawn out this process (as have other post op complications I've been having) and I am currently awaiting my next GI appointment to discuss medications for my apparent "mild" Crohn's.

Whew! That was a novel!;)

Trysha

Staff member
Hi Missmanic
Welcome to the forum.
that is quite a story, but somewhat familiar on this forum.
You will find lots of helpful information on the forum and lots of new friends are here to help you.
I am sorry you are having such trouble and hope you will get the help you need.
Is it possible for you to call the GI and let them know what is happening to you at the moment.
Maybe you have some follow up appointments.
Please let us know how you get on with all of this.
Feel better soon
Hugs and best wishes
Trysha

After my resection I had terrible diarreha. I also had "bile burn" as I called it. I could no longer absorb bile and it burned like I had eaten the hottest hot peppers but worse. Anyway, to help both issues my Gi doc gave me cholestramine and pentasa. Pentas soothes the intestines and can plug you up a bit. Cholestramine absorbs the bile and also can plug you up a bit. Depending on what you had removed during surgery, maybe they would help?

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hi missmanic and :welcome:

I am so sorry to hear of all you have been through. :hug:

I imagine from what you are describing you have had a right hemicolectomy. Both of my children have had this surgery and both suffer with bile salt malabsorption diarrhoea. It is a common side effect of this type of surgery and it differs from person to person in its severity and how long it lasts.
As superzeeman has said, Questran is a drug that can be prescribed to treat the diarrhoea. My own children use a natural product, psyllium husks, it works the same as Questran does and it has proved very effective for them. Have a read through this thread as it contains loads of info and experiences.

Another thing to be aware of is the ileum is responsible for the absorption of many nutrients and there a few that it would be wise to keep track of via blood tests...B12, Folate, Iron Stores, Vitamin D, Magnesium and Zinc.

I hope you can arrange a GI visit soon and all goes well with the consult. Good luck and welcome aboard!

Dusty. xxx