• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Is it Crohn's?

I'm new to these forums, so I thought I'd introduce myself and tell you my story.

I'm 29, work as a registered nurse, and have been suffering from digestive issues for the past year or so. In that time I've lost about 40 pounds completely unintentionally, though I am overweight, so the weight loss has not been all terrible. I've been nauseous on and off for weeks at a time, then it will abate for a few days or weeks, and then returns full force. I haven't had any vomiting though. Diarrhea has been the norm for me in the bathroom for the last year as well, though I do at times have close to normal bowel movements. I've been having abdominal pain that comes and goes, at times it is only bothersome, and at other times I am almost doubled over in pain and only sleep seems to provide an escape.

I had an endoscopy done a few months back and everything was perfectly normal. However, I was still feeling horrible more days than not. A couple weeks ago I finally had a colonoscopy done which revealed ulcers in my small intestines. I got a letter in the mail two days ago from the doctor, it reads "Your colonoscopy results suggest Crohn's disease.... I recommend you set up an appointment with my physician's assistant to discuss management of Crohn's disease". My question is this, does this mean I have Crohn's, is this a diagnosis?

Sounds like it. Many people have crystallization or something that confirms it according to my doc. I figured out I had crohns when it hit me like a brick green diarrhea not even getting absorbed to feeling better.

The crystallization was key thing according to my doc.

Thats how I was diagnosed with Crohns..thru biopsies. My Dr actually knew I had it just by looking but then it was confirmed.

Angrybird

Hello and welcome to the forum :)

It does sound like a diagnosis to me as well. For now whilst you wait for that appt to discuss treatment going forward it may be worth going onto a bland, low residue diet to see if this helps ease symptoms a bit for you. Otherwise just have a good look around the forum, there is a lot of helpful info here and it may help to jot down any questions you have to then take with you to the appt.

Please keep us updated on how you get on.

AB
xx