• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Is Modulen good?

Hello! I just want to share my story and hear other people stories and hope it helps you and me.
My problems began in july with pain and diarrhea and continued. Disease took a lot from me. I stopped going out and going to school. I was afraid everytime I would go out pain would start. And after 5 months I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease. Like everyone I was scared at first, and they gave me Modulen IBD to drink about 2L a day. I have to drink it 6-8 weeks. And after 2 weeks I alredy feel better, but will it help me heal for long time or i'll have to drink it all the time through life. And i'm a bit scared if the disease comes back through life. Every advice is good, so please help me a bit. Thank you!

Angrybird

Hello and welcome to the forum :)

Usually shakes get used to settle the tum and then an elimination diet is started so problem foods can be pinpointed. I have not heard of it being used as a long term treatment. Is this the first line of treatment you have been given or have you been given any meds previously? Are you on anything now? I myself have been on Modulen and out of all the shakes I have been on previously this was the nicest, I used to make it up and add the flavouring and then put it into the fridge to then drink it cold. Have you been given flavourings? The key with crohn's is to educate yourself as much as you can and listen to your body, this way you can catch any potential flare up early and get it under control more easily.

Wishing you all the best.

AB
xx

Hello and welcome to the forum :)

Usually shakes get used to settle the tum and then an elimination diet is started so problem foods can be pinpointed. I have not heard of it being used as a long term treatment. Is this the first line of treatment you have been given or have you been given any meds previously? Are you on anything now? I myself have been on Modulen and out of all the shakes I have been on previously this was the nicest, I used to make it up and add the flavouring and then put it into the fridge to then drink it cold. Have you been given flavourings? The key with crohn's is to educate yourself as much as you can and listen to your body, this way you can catch any potential flare up early and get it under control more easily.

Wishing you all the best.

AB
xx
This is the first treatment I got, they offered Modulen 6-8 weeks and corticosteroids. Whom I don't want to try due to many side effect. Yesterday I got from the hospital and they told they sent my DNA for testing if I have a gen wich can biograde some medicine,but they didn't tell me the name, do you maybe know? For the flavouring I cant add anything I can only drink Modulen and water nothing else. And If I can ask you, do a lot of people go to surgery because of Crohn's? I came fast after 5 months of symptoms , so I don't know will it get worse or better. Will it stop or I'll have to deal with the pain and everything else for my life. Thank you very much :ysmile:

Angrybird

There should be special powered flavourings that you can add to the Modulen powfer so it tastes nicer, perhaps ask about this? With regards to surgery this isn't something that will definetly happen to everyone, some do not have surgery at all and others maybe go ages befoere it is required, it is something that will depend on the individual and how their disease behaves and is controlled. When it comes to the steroids if you do decide not to take these then you must let your doc know so they can keep an eye on disease activity, I am not sure whether the Modulen on it's own will be enough to sort out any inflammation that you may have going on inside and in my experience untreated disease is a lot worse to deal with than a potential side effect you might not even experience of a med. One thing I would say it to make sure you are given a calcium supplement to take whilst on these. As to the blood test this could be to see if your body will tolerate a future maintainence med the doc plans to start you on - when are you next due to see them to discuss things going forward?

my little penguin

Staff member
The drug is probably 6-mp or Aza .
More than likely the blood test will tell if you can metabolize the drug.
EEN ( modulen)
is used to induce remission . Then the 6-mp can take over.
The immunosuppressants ( 6-mp ) takes about 3 months to reach therapeutic levels in your blood .
EEN is not used long term since the minute you eat the disease starts again.
That being said you can used EEN as an adjunct therapy.
Meaning take 6-mp or whatever other immunosuppressants they give you and take a half dose of modulen .
The jury is still out as to how effective this is.
My son does this to help keep inflammation at bay as well as an easy source of nutrition .
Check out the treatment section of the forum on 6-mp
Also look at the wiki section.
Good luck