Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Imuran/Azathioprine/6-MP » 6 year old 10 days on aza with. UTI and abscess

12-24-2012, 08:53 AM   #1
Lewis,s mum

My Support Groups:
6 year old 10 days on aza with. UTI and abscess

hi all . my boy has just started taking aza hes been on it for 10 days hes had a uti and now his peri anal abscess has flared up were in hosp on ives his neutraphils are 0.9 . so ive asked for the main consultant to come down as his under studys just keeped saying its low but it should be o.k . i said jo something isnt write if its the aza im taking him of it hes going for bloods again this aft just before he has his mri to see if he has a stricture in his rectum just wanted to no if anyone else has had uti and or abscess after taking aza for such a short time. hope. all have a great xmas . were hoping to go home from hopsital on home leave till the end of the week depending on the scan and bloods.x
12-29-2012, 08:24 AM   #2
kh216
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I am not a doctor but I personally do not think that the azathioprine is causing the problem, especially since he is only been on it for 10 days. I think the abscess is probably causing the UTI, since UTIs are not that common with boys. Is he taking any other medicines for Crohns besides aza? It generally takes a good three months for the azathioprine to be effective and he may need to be on another medicine. I hope that he is receiving treatment for the abscess; abscesses are painful.
12-29-2012, 05:19 PM   #3
Catherine

My Support Groups:
Ask whether there any chance he has renel reflux, this is a condition where urine can backflow which I believe is most common cause of uti infections in children.
Small bowel to small bowel fistula

Meds: ), azathioprine 200mg, Mesalazine 1.2g x 2, seretide 250 x 2 (asthma), ventolin (as needed)

Currently no supplements.

Has previously taken Multi B, Caltrate, B12 & Iron

Prednisolone (from 30 mg 01/02/2012 to 17/06/2012, 30mg 24/10/12-28/12/12, 50mg 24/1/13-27/4/13)

Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Imuran/Azathioprine/6-MP » 6 year old 10 days on aza with. UTI and abscess