• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Magic Mouth Wash-HELP

Well nothing ever goes as planned.

My hubby had to take my son the ER today for high fevers he's been having for a week.
Also my son got these BIG canker like sores from the virus he's fighting. They gave a prescription for the mouth wash.

My hubby went to pick it up and was told NOTHING about it, not even how much to give and or how often. HELP!

My son is 5 and 42lbs if that helps.

No Dexty there isn't. It closed at 5:00pm because of Christmas. I just want to make sure he can't overdose or something weird like that.

Never mind!!!!!! Good old Mr. Google found it for me!:dance:

This is the mix he was given. I found on the third sheet of paper it said 5ML but nothing about how often!:voodoo:

Magic Mouthwash Recipe 2 (also called "Xyloxadryl" or "BMX")

Rx:
•1 Part viscous lidocaine 2%
•1 Part Maalox (do not substitute Kaopectate)
•1 Part diphenhydramine 12.5 mg per 5 ml elixir

Quantity: 120 ml

Sig: Swish, gargle, and spit one to two teaspoonfuls every six hours as needed. May be swallowed if esophageal involvement

Crohn's Mom

That's all they gave your son at the ER was magic mouthwash? For high fevers x one week ? :(
And no instructions ?
This was a prescription? Or over the counter?
I would assume even over the counter would have instructions ?

Maybe it's just me but I don't understand ....
Hope he feels better tho! :hug:

I would definitely call the ER to clarify how to apply and dosing. The mouthwash contains lidocaine and benadryl both of which can have very serious side effects if given in the incorrect dose or incorrect method. I wouldn't use google information for this especially since you're dealing with a small child. Did they want you to apply it to the sores?

Hope you get clarity on this and he feels better soon!

It's a mouth wash. Swish and spit.

:)The stuff is truly MAGIC.:)
My son came home and ate a muffing and drank a glass of water. WOW! They upped his fever meds and that seems to be the trick to help.
:dance:We might even get some sleep tonight. MERRY CHRISTMAS TO MOMMY!!!!:dance:

:ghug:Thanks everyone. Now my thought can turn to..............

:tank::tank:OPERATION PREPPING GRACE!:tank::tank:

We had it for coxsackie sores...our instructions were to swish and swallow 4 x a day...I think the swallowing was just in case she had sores further down her throat. Feel better, nameless brother LOL! and good luck prepping, Grace!

AZMOM

Glad you figured it out and hope everyone's feeling better. What was the diagnosis? Did he get whatever Grace and you had?

AZMOM he got the same virus as Grace and I. Basically his fevers were going so high he started chewing his mouth in pain and started making sores. He's mouth got so bad he wouldn't eat or drink for days. I love this mouth wash. It works GREAT!!!!