Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » SCD and Paleo Diets » SCD/Paleo/GAPS Support for January 2013

12-28-2012, 01:45 PM   #1
Charleigh
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
SCD/Paleo/GAPS Support for January 2013

I would like to go ahead and start our January thread The December one is kind of full! Besides, I have an exciting recipe that I don't want you to miss!

Remember, this is a support thread for sharing ideas, etc. If you would like to debate whether any of these diets are a good idea, please be respectful and begin a new Thread.

Thanks ya'll!
Enteral Nutrition
12-28-2012, 02:00 PM   #2
Charleigh
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I have finally found a winning cookie recipe. I am so excited about these! Not only does E love them but my other (non-SCD) kids are eating them up too! It is grain, egg, sugar, and peanut free so it meets many diet requirements.

SCD Lemon Cookies

In one bowl mix 2.5 cups blanched almond flour with
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp sea salt

In a larger mixing bowl
Mix until creamy
1/2 cup butter (or scd safe butter substitute, not olive oil though)
1/2 cup honey
3 tsp lemon extract (look for a safe brand)

Add the dry mix to the creamy mix, 1/2 at a time, beating in between until well combined.

Refrigerate for 30 minutes

Form 1/2-1 inch balls onto parchment paper lined baking sheet. Leave plenty of room because they spread
Bake @ 350 degrees for about 10 minutes or until golden brown.
Cool before removing from paper.

You can omit the lemon and add in 1 TBS vanilla and sprinkle with cinnamon for a snicker doodle type cookie.

Last edited by Charleigh; 12-28-2012 at 07:39 PM.
12-28-2012, 03:31 PM   #3
KWalker

I'm super busy with family Christmas stuff until the 1st of the year but once I return I'll have more to contribute as well as the start to my SCD journey

Previous Meds:
Prednisone
Remicade
Humira
Methotrexate (oral)
Methotrexate (injections)
Cipro
Flagyl

Current Treatment:
200mg Simponi, Psyllium
12-28-2012, 07:40 PM   #4
Charleigh
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I'm super busy with family Christmas stuff until the 1st of the year but once I return I'll have more to contribute as well as the start to my SCD journey
I figured I wouldn't see you much until the 1st since that is when you officially begin. I can't wait to see how it goes for you!
01-01-2013, 06:45 AM   #5
Charleigh
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
E is up by 5 pounds. I am ecstatic. We have a big doctor's appointment tomorrow. I am nervous to tell him what we are doing.
01-01-2013, 08:53 AM   #6
Susan2

My Support Groups:
That's a very pleasing weight gain. I had some resistance when talking to my GI about following the Blood Type diet, but once he understood that it would provide all the nutrition that I needed, he was quite happy for me to follow it.
Currently on no medications, but under constant gaze of very caring GP, with annual blood and other tests.
01-01-2013, 03:16 PM   #7
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
I know these diets are against starch but what's so bad about using kudzu, arrowroot starch for cooking baked goods?
01-01-2013, 03:28 PM   #8
Charleigh
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I know these diets are against starch but what's so bad about using kudzu, arrowroot starch for cooking baked goods?
I have no idea why they ruled out certain foods and additives. I do know that quite a bit of research went into the make up of the starches and how they break down.
01-01-2013, 03:29 PM   #9
Charleigh
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Do you eat potatoes? I know some Paleo eat potatoes and some don't. Just curious?
01-01-2013, 03:54 PM   #10
KWalker

I just got back from the holidays so I will be starting the diet tomorrow because nothing is open to get groceries today. I got a ton of nuts (hazelnuts, pecans, almonds) from a family member that was moving and didn't want to bring them so I got huge bags of unopened nuts that I can definitely use.

I've actually been contemplating doing the diet without the intro diet and just go right to legal foods only and then see (for myself and others) if the intro diet is absolutely necessary and see how effective I can be without it. My plan would be to go to the intro diet if I didn't notice a difference. I'm undecided at this point how I plan to go about it but I have a few hours to think about it.

I read the book and it taught me a lot of things I didn't know, but it totally makes sense.
01-01-2013, 05:47 PM   #11
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
Charleigh I do eat white potatoes sparingly. I try to avoid nightshades. I eat a lot of sweet potato though. I'm not a low-carb person myself. I have been moving away from paleo lately and liberalizing my diet.
01-01-2013, 08:22 PM   #12
Charleigh
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I've actually been contemplating doing the diet without the intro diet and just go right to legal foods only and then see (for myself and others) if the intro diet is absolutely necessary and see how effective I can be without it. My plan would be to go to the intro diet if I didn't notice a difference. I'm undecided at this point how I plan to go about it but I have a few hours to think about it.
Are you symptom free (or pretty close to it)? I would try skipping the intro diet if I were symptom free.
01-01-2013, 08:25 PM   #13
KWalker

Pretty close, yes. My only crohns symptom is diarrhea.
01-02-2013, 12:10 AM   #14
hugh

My Support Groups:
Paleo is only anti some starches (well, some paleos are anti all starch)
I use arrowroot, it's paleo

The logic (for SCD) is that starch is food for bacteria and if you have the wrong bacteria then you don't want to feed them.
01-02-2013, 04:24 AM   #15
helena101

My Support Groups:
I look forward to following this thread.
Hugh, is there any specific book or website you recommend for Paleo diet, specifically which foods are paleo-safe and which are not?
I am fairly familiar with gaps/SCD, and I know paleo is similar, but I didn't realize some starches were 'allowed'.
Is the fundamental theory behind paleo the same as for SCD, in that it works because of starving out the 'bad bacteria' in the gut?
01-02-2013, 06:58 AM   #16
hugh

My Support Groups:
is there any specific book or website you recommend for Paleo diet, specifically which foods are paleo-safe and which are not?
I am fairly familiar with gaps/SCD, and I know paleo is similar, but I didn't realize some starches were 'allowed'.
Is the fundamental theory behind paleo the same as for SCD, in that it works because of starving out the 'bad bacteria' in the gut?
the fundamental theory behind paleo is that we evolved over millions of years with a certain way of eating (basically - whatever was available)
since the invention of agriculture (the neolithic era) we have been eating foods that were not part of our evolutionary diet, and this has accelerated at an amazing pace since the industrial revolution and again since the second world war (pesticides and fertiliser), and again with the onset of the GM era to the point where our diets (SAD standard american diet) are now 70%+ of energy from grain, dairy, processed vegetable oils and sugar as opposed to 0% in paleolithic times.

Some people seem to do well on this diet (for a time) but others do not, some do really poorly.

I'd recommend rob wolf, he has (had?) UC, was a research biochemist, and was a review editor for the Journal of Nutrition and Metabolism
http://robbwolf.com/what-is-the-paleo-diet/
there's plenty on the web.
Food list (one of hundreds out there)
http://paleodietlifestyle.com/paleo-diet-food-list/
Or this one from Lauren Cordain
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dw1MuD9EP4
but once again google it, there's lots out there

The paleo diet is a few peoples idea of what optimal human nutrition looks like
01-02-2013, 08:27 AM   #17
KWalker

today's the day I start the SCD! I'm just getting ready to go out and grab some groceries and then I will start my thread so you guys can follow it. Do you guys have any suggestions on things I should buy? It sucks because I want to really up my fruits and veggies but they go bad so fast that I always end up wasting some.
01-02-2013, 01:35 PM   #19
Charleigh
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
today's the day I start the SCD! I'm just getting ready to go out and grab some groceries and then I will start my thread so you guys can follow it. Do you guys have any suggestions on things I should buy? It sucks because I want to really up my fruits and veggies but they go bad so fast that I always end up wasting some.

We have had to alter the SCD a tiny bit for E. He doesn't seem to do well on beef. I would like to try again after he is more healed. I would highly suggest that if you try the diet and aren't seeing progress then back up and start again with a slow introduction of foods as described on the pecan bread website.

www.pecanbread.com

This is what we did with E. He is up 6 pounds now and he is solid ~ yahoo! I am over the moon.

Groceries?
Natural peanut butter
Honey, honey, honey
meats
safe veggies
eggs ~ lots of eggs
fruit ~ especially bananas
01-02-2013, 01:39 PM   #20
Charleigh
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Do you have almond flour? Blanched is the best, not natural as the skins are irritating and the blanched just makes a better baked product.

Coconut oil is great too.

I make coconut milk with the finely shredded dried organic coconut. I find it easier to make than the almond milk. I blend it on high and the strain through cheesecloth. Very good.
01-02-2013, 01:47 PM   #21
Charleigh
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
We had a big check up with E today. We had a great appointment. I won't say that the doctor is "on board" with the idea of no meds and I think he has concerns but he can't find a reason to fight us on it either. He sent him for a recheck on labs, he gave me some occult stool sample cards to take at home and drop by his office at certain times. He wants to see him again in 2 months to see how his weight is going and to recheck labs, etc. He wants him closely monitored for sure. At this time, he is fine with us giving this a try. I think the fact that E is having zero diarrhea right now is a big key too. I feel good about it!
Oh, I also gave him the study on Low Dose Naltrexone. He seemed interested and said he would look into it.
E is up 6 pounds and he is solid ~ seriously, what more could we ask for? I think we are on a good track.
01-02-2013, 02:12 PM   #22
KWalker

Oh no, I'm sorry E doesn't seem to be tolerating meat. That must make it even harder. I did groceries this morning and actually got everything on that list lol. I have a few questions about groceries though/things I noticed.

1.If Welch's grape juice is legal, would the Welch's grape jam be legal?

2.The Welch's grape juice says it's concentrated, are other concentrated juices legal as long as they are 100%? I've seen some juices that are made from 100% natural fruits.

3. Can we have apple sauce if the ingredients are water, concentrated apple juice, absorbic acid? The jar says made with pure apples

4. I found an apple juice that says made from pure apples only as well. Apples and water are the only ingredients. Would that be legal?

5. I went to Walmart and got the Kraft all natural peanut butter for like $7 then I went to no frills and saw a "Blue Menu" all natural peanut butter that comes in smooth, extra crunchy, etc with the same ingredients, but only like $4.50!

6. I also found a small bag of almond flour at No Frills for only $1.77. It's not a lot of flour but I definitely think I could get atleast a cake out of one bag...so I bought two lol.

7.I found a drink called "Arthur's" smoothies. http://www.arthursfresh.com/en/smoothies-101.aspx I think these would also be legal and came in some delicious flavors as well!

As I'm writing this, I have banana chips baking in the oven for a snack, and I'm getting ready to make some hazelnut milk!
01-02-2013, 02:32 PM   #23
Charleigh
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:

1.If Welch's grape juice is legal, would the Welch's grape jam be legal?
The jam will have sugar and starchy thickener so it will most likely be illegal.

2.The Welch's grape juice says it's concentrated, are other concentrated juices legal as long as they are 100%? I've seen some juices that are made from 100% natural fruits.
I think as long as they are 100% natural juice they should be okay. E does great on 100% grape juice.

3. Can we have apple sauce if the ingredients are water, concentrated apple juice, absorbic acid? The jar says made with pure apples

4. I found an apple juice that says made from pure apples only as well. Apples and water are the only ingredients. Would that be legal?
These should be okay. Elaine would say not to trust canned applesauce because of unlisted ingredients but that is where the book shows its age. I don't think they can legally "not" list ingredients anymore. You are always safest when you make it yourself because you know for 100% what is in it, but reality is....you only have so many hours in a day so sometimes you do your best.

5. I went to Walmart and got the Kraft all natural peanut butter for like $7 then I went to no frills and saw a "Blue Menu" all natural peanut butter that comes in smooth, extra crunchy, etc with the same ingredients, but only like $4.50!

6. I also found a small bag of almond flour at No Frills for only $1.77. It's not a lot of flour but I definitely think I could get atleast a cake out of one bag...so I bought two lol.
We do not have those brands here so I really don't know. Just make sure it is only peanuts and salt. Some natural brands include sugar. A small bag of almond flour is a great way to try it. If you find you like it, try ordering in bulk from www.honeyville.com or www.nuts.com as the per pound price is much cheaper.

7.I found a drink called "Arthur's" smoothies. http://www.arthursfresh.com/en/smoothies-101.aspx I think these would also be legal and came in some delicious flavors as well!

As I'm writing this, I have banana chips baking in the oven for a snack, and I'm getting ready to make some hazelnut milk!
The banana chips sound yummy and let me know how the hazelnut milk turns out. I bet that will be awesome!
01-02-2013, 02:37 PM   #24
Charleigh
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I made the best treat ever the other day. I took the cookie recipe that I posted for lemon cookies and replaced the 3 tsp lemon extract for vanilla extract. I then made a peanut butter fluff. I whipped the thick part of the canned coconut milk (from a brand that is only coconut and water) until it was like whipped cream. I added in some peanut butter and honey and beat it some more. I spread a thick layer of the fluff on a cooled vanilla cookie and then placed another on top (like a sandwich cookie) and placed them in the freezer. They taste just like ice cream sandwiches. My non-scd kids are eating them up too ~ by choice, lol.
01-02-2013, 02:44 PM   #25
Charleigh
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
E's staple food is a peeled, cored, sliced apple dipped in a large amount of peanut butter and honey mixed. Lots of good fat and protein.
01-02-2013, 02:50 PM   #26
helena101

My Support Groups:
Sounds delicious... Charleigh, just curious, is E on any medication or are you using JUST diet at the moment?
01-02-2013, 02:58 PM   #27
Charleigh
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Sounds delicious... Charleigh, just curious, is E on any medication or are you using JUST diet at the moment?
E is on no meds at this time. We are working closely with a pediatric GI. He is doing awesome so far....beginning to gain weight and his stool is now solid and only 1~2 times a day. I couldn't ask for more!
01-02-2013, 03:06 PM   #28
KWalker

you guys don't have the Blue Menu foods over there? I believe that's just like a healthy version of the president's choice brand. I still want to try those cookies you posted, and need to try a recipe for some sort of icing. I think that's going to really help me stay on track if I can find alternatives for the foods I ate in the past. I actually have a ton of pure vanilla extract as well that I didn't even know was legal.

I just saw a snack idea and it was called "ants on a branch". It was a piece of celery and then you put peanut butter on top and then line up almonds on top. I'm sure other nuts would be fine too.

Since my last post, I finished the hazelnut milk already. Its delicious! You just blend the hazelnuts with water and then strain them through a cheese cloth so the "pulp" stays and then all you get is the pure "milk". I'll be using it in my coffee in the morning with sugar but it tastes delicious as well. And now the pulp is like a hazelnut flour so I can use that for another ingredient!
01-02-2013, 03:27 PM   #29
Charleigh
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Fluffy 7 Minute Frosting SCD Style
Ingredients
1 cup honey
1/4 cup water
4 eggs whites, room temperature
1 tsp vanilla extract
In a saucepan, bring honey and water to a boil over medium or medium/high heat. Boil for 3-4 minutes or until a candy thermometer reads 242 degrees F (firm-ball stage). Meanwhile, beat egg whites in a mixing bowl until foamy. Slowly pour in hot honey mixture; continue to beat on high for 7 minutes or until stiff peaks form. Add vanilla. Continue beating until frosting reaches desired consistency, about 2 minutes.
Makes a large mixing bowl full of frosting.

Marshmallow Icing - adapted from from Breaking the Vicious Cycle by Elaine Gottschall.
This frosting takes no time to make at all so don't walk away from it, and don't worry about having to done too early you cake has to cool before you frost it anyway :-) It also makes a good bit so save the rest in the fridge it will keep for a while.

1/2 cup honey
1 egg white
1/2 tsp vanilla

In a large sauce pan heat the honey over medium heat until it reaches 248 degrees (firm ball stage, if you don't have a candy thermometer this stage is when the honey will form a "firm ball" when dropped into cool water. This process takes about five minutes so watch it!). Whip your egg white until it it's frothy. Pour the hot honey into the egg white mixing on low. Increase the speed once all the honey is combined and whip until the icing is very thick and forms soft peaks. Fold in you vanilla. Frost your cake.
01-02-2013, 04:57 PM   #30
KWalker

Thanks for that! My banana chips are done. The recipe I used says to dip the bananas in lemon juice so they don't stick to the pan in the oven so they taste they have the bitter/sweet taste you would expect from a banana and a lemon, and it's pretty good! They really shrink in size though lol.

Do you count calories? I feel like I'm not eating enough and could see myself losing weight. So far today I've ate an omelette, 1 pint of cherry tomatoes, 1 decent sized cucumber and some celery with peanut butter on top. That's all healthy and everything but I don't think that provides any significant calories.

Another question I had for you was if you had trouble finding side dishes for dinner and what you use. Tonight we're going to have honey garlic chicken breasts, steamed vegetables (green/waxed beans and carrots) and we went out to buy some cauliflower to try the mashed cauliflower. I would be fine with eating just meat and vegetables but again I feel like it's not enough.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » SCD and Paleo Diets » SCD/Paleo/GAPS Support for January 2013