• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My journey with the Specific Carbohydrate Diet.

KWalker

My D went away, but I don't drink OJ in the morning anyways because that time is reserved for coffee lol. Of course now I caught the flu though so I'm home sick :(

How long have you had the flu? Is it causing issues with the crohn's? I have had my fingers crossed that Matthew does not get the flu.
He just came home today saying he has pain in his right side of his belly button. Pain is on a scale of 1 to 10 and he said it's a 5. :(

KWalker

I started to feel it yesterday but when I woke up this morning it was the worst. It's not causing issues with crohns but my diarrhea is back.

My flu symptoms are:
Headache
Fever
Very sore throat
Cough - really hurts to cough
Low energy/tired
Diarrhea

I started to feel it yesterday but when I woke up this morning it was the worst. It's not causing issues with crohns but my diarrhea is back.

My flu symptoms are:
Headache
Fever
Very sore throat
Cough - really hurts to cough
Low energy/tired
Diarrhea

Man, that stinks. I really hope you feel back to normal soon. The flu really shouldn't throw monkey wrenches in things as important as diet experiments. I guess it didn't read the memo.

KWalker

Thanks, yeah it sucks. I don't even want to eat because everything solid just hurts when I swallow. I've pretty much only ate apple sauce

Hi eveyone in going to attempt to start this diet . Just a few quick q's. can i drink soya milk ? When u say peanut butter is that anyone from any store or is there specific things to look out for on label. And ideas for sweet snacks ? Many thanks

Hi eveyone in going to attempt to start this diet . Just a few quick q's. can i drink soya milk ? When u say peanut butter is that anyone from any store or is there specific things to look out for on label. And ideas for sweet snacks ? Many thanks
Welcome :)
No soy milk. Coconut or nut milk that is homemade and unsweetened are fine.
Peanut butter that only contains peanuts and salt.
I posted a great cookie recipe on the SCD support thread.
I will come back and post more later.

KWalker

You can't buy almond milk either, you have to make it but its really easy. I found that with the diet if you don't know what an ingredient is, you can't have it. With that being said, a lot of foods/drinks have added preservatives, flavorings, etc and they're not allowed on this diet. Also, if you see anything that says "natural flavor", leave it on the shelf lol.

If anybodys wondering why I haven't updated its because I now have the flu so I'm stuck at home in bed and haven't been eating anything.

Judith

Crohnsforum Science Advisor
got my blood taken yesterday and the results are in but they want me to talk to the doctor about them and the earliest she is available is Friday morning so unfortunately I won't know the results are until then.
I hope you are feeling better quickly! Did you have to cancel your doctor appointment because of the flu?

KWalker

Thanks Judith. Yes I had too :( Between waking up with a fever of 102.8, seeing an unexpected snow storm and the temp being -15, and having an hour bus ride to the school where the clinic is, there was no way I could do it. I'm hoping they can make room for me either Monday or Tuesday.

KWalker

Kf1986- It's really not too bad. You definitely get used to it. I can still have coffee and stuff like that, I just substitute milk and sugar for home made almond milk and honey. Its good!

KWalker

Thanks Susan, I just don't know how to get the broth. I saw online that there are a few companies that make SCD legal broth, but I haven't been up to going out and looking for any.

You could make your own broth/stock quite easily. Do you buy whole chickens or any pieces with bones? (thighs are cheaper and tastier than breast) You can use the bones as a base. Or buy beef bones. Or make vegetable stock. Or you might find a butcher/poulterer who sells chicken carcasses.

You'll find lots of recipes, but they all work on the same principle. Chop vegetables (onion, leek, celery, carrots, garlic...), herbs (parsley, thyme, bay leaf...). Put in large pot with bones, season, cover with water, bring to boil slowly, skim off any foam (do this every now and then), cook slowly (just simmering) 4 hours or so.

Strain, pressing with something like the back of a big serving spoon to get out all juices (don't be too vicious). Let cool, refridgerate, take off fat. Now you can use or freeze for later use.

You will probably need to dilute/add water when you use it. Taste!

You now have an SCD compliant stock/broth.

Never throw away bones, they are full of good things. Have a bag of bones in your freezer and just add until you have enough to make broth/stock. Also any skin, giblets...

BTW, I always add ginger to any stir fry, soup, stew. Fennel is nice if it's in season.

Last edited:
Here is an actual recipe from a "SCD Legal" cooking thread. But use what you have, just don't add anything too odd flavoured unless that will suit what you are cooking with the stock. And there is no point in adding most greens as the long cooking time will destroy any goodness and make the colour icky.

KWalker

Thanks a lot Susan! Would it work if we bought bone-in chicken breasts or is that not enough bone? Actually, thinking about it, I have a pretty big bone in the freezer from a ham we made that would probably be pretty good in a soup. As far as the veggies, when Mariah made soup in the past she always cooked the soup and then threw the veggies in for the last 15 minutes or so.

Thanks Ya noy :) I actually woke up feeling slightly better this morning but my throat is still sore and I'm still coughing. I think I might have a few pictures to upload from a few days ago

You would need to collect a fair number of bones from chicken breasts, but you could supplement with half a kilo of chicken necks (they are cheap here).

The ham bone would make beautiful stock for pumpkin soup. Do the Canadians eat pumpkin soup? It is very popular in Australia. Butternut squash makes especially great soup - chop onion and/or leek finely and cook gently in butter/ghee/oil until soft and translucent, add any of ground coriander, ground cumin, ground tumeric (some suggest ground nutmeg here, but I add it at the end) cook a minute or so, add pumpkin in 1" cubes and cook a bit, salt, cover with stock. Simmer until pumpkin is soft. Blend. I usually add sour cream, although it is not necessary, but you could probably use coconut or other milk. I like to sprinkle grated nutmeg on top. Delicious!

Putting the vegetables in late when making soup is very different from making stock/broth, when you need to cook the vegetables very thoroughly to get out all the flavour.

KWalker

I've never heard of pumpkin soup lol. This may sound odd but we were always told to give pumpkin to our dog when he has diarrhea (so we did) and it makes it go away almost immediately. Do you think it would have the same effect on humans?

I've never thought about putting squash in soup but I bet that would be delicious. How many bones should we use? If we bought a whole chicken would that be enough bones? The reason I said the breasts was because I think it would take us forever so eat a whole chicken between the two of us lol. They go on sale here pretty cheap now and then and you can actually get 2 of them for $8 sometimes. Even at that price if we didn't eat all of it, it wouldn't even be a waste because it's so cheap.

As far as the veggies, yes that's when she's making soup-not broth. She used to use the Campbell's reduced salt broth as a base and then add things like chicken and vegetables but since I can't use the Campbell's it would technically be the same process, we just have to make the broth first.

Here's a blog from an old member of here that has lots of useful info on it. The link I posted is foods that she has found from the store that we can use. There are two types of broth if anybody has heard of those brands before.
http://www.foreverscd.blogspot.ca/p/shop-for-scd-brands-tips.html

As I said, pumpkin soup is very popular here - everyone makes it and you get it in most lunch places, especially in winter. I bet if you make it, it will become a favourite. You need a pumpkin with good solid orange flesh, not watery. Or butternut squash, which we categorise as a pumpkin. Don't know about it as a cure for diarrhoa; I've never heard that one, but it's lovely and warming in winter. It should be reasonably thick.

I'd use just the ham bone (plus vegs and herbs, of course) for stock for the pumpkin/butternut squash soup. It will give lots of flavour.

The bones of a whole chicken carcass would be enough to make stock and you could add any scraps of meat or skin, too. If you cook the whole chicken, you could cut up the remaining flesh and freeze to add to chicken soup or even a casserole. Or you could cook the breasts as usual and make a casserole out of the rest, eat half of it two days after you eat the breasts, freeze the rest to reheat later. You could freeze the carcass and add the other bones to it as you eat the casseroles.

KWalker

Ohh, I wasn't thinking to add the ham bone to a pumpkin soup. That probably would make a good mixture of flavors between the two. I wonder if we even have pumpkin in the stores right now. I don't think (I could be wrong) you guys celebrate Halloween in Australia but over here we mainly see pumpkin during that time (end of October). A few years ago Mariah's family (from Australia) came down to visit, which is a crazy 24 hour flight! and they were so excited to go trick or treating at Halloween because they've never been before. I know we have squash though if we couldn't get pumpkin right now.

As far as the cure for diarrhea, I know it certainly works for dogs but it could very well be different for humans.

Kwalker ...our 21 yr old daughter was just diagnosed with crohns. Ive been spending the entire day reading about it. In Particular- the scd diet. It does my heart good to read ur results. We are hoping to manage her symptoms without mess...once she gets somewhat healed.

I'm very computer challenged and don't even know how I hot here bu hope ill be able to find u again.

KWalker

Thank you jodee, I really appreciate that. Please feel free to send me a private message as well if you'd like. You can do so by clicking on my name and then it will bring you to my profile and from there you will find an option to send me a private message.

I'd be more than happy to help with any questions you have

Kwalker ...our 21 yr old daughter was just diagnosed with crohns. Ive been spending the entire day reading about it. In Particular- the scd diet. It does my heart good to read ur results. We are hoping to manage her symptoms without mess...once she gets somewhat healed.

I'm very computer challenged and don't even know how I hot here bu hope ill be able to find u again.

My 11 year old son was fairly recently diagnosed so I know exactly how you feel. It is an experiment for me right now. SCD is definitely helping with the symptoms. I highly suggest you read the book Breaking the Vicious Cycle. It really explains the science behind the diet and it makes good sense. Taking the time to try the diet before meds is very unlikely to hurt anything. I have researched the meds our doctor wants my son on and the side effect list is just so huge (some very serious ones too). What is the worse that can happen? The diet doesn't work and we need to go the meds route ~ well at least if my son ends up with cancer or liver/kidney damage, etc then I will be able to know in my heart that I tried a more natural route first. For me, it is a question I must answer before I will ever feel comfortable going the medication route. I understand why some parents immediately jump on the medication wagon. I am not judge mental on their decision.

I will suggest that your daughter be completely on board. Even though my son is only eleven we had to make sure he was on board. We explained the options to him. He knew the diet would be challenging and he knew the med side effects, etc. We told him our preference was the diet route first but we also told him that if he really didn't think he could do that then we would reconsider. He wanted to go this route and he wanted to try this too. It has to be a team effort or it will fail.

KWalker

Thank you! I'm very excited to have you respond. I'm just letting you know that I received your reply.
Not a problem! Like I said, please don't hesitate to send me a message or even post your questions on here. I'm still pretty new to the diet myself, but as a beginner I think I could help others in the beginning process, or thinking about beginning. I can also share the experiences I've had because they're all still fresh in my memory. For more advanced questions, Charleigh and Susan2 are pretty much my go-to people for questions I don't know because between the two they could tell you almost anything you need to know. They are both great assets to this forum.

Charleigh pretty much shared my opinions with crohns spot on so I won't repeat them and we're not trying to scare you but crohns medication can have some scary side effects, as can any medication. If you have the time to do diet, there's really no side effects...well, besides feeling great, having your energy back, and not spending as much time on the toilet.

I'm only 22 so it was only a few years ago I really had total control over what I did for crohns treatment. I wish I knew about this diet earlier rather than my mom agreeing with every medicine the doctor wanted to throw at me because none of them worked anyways for me.

We're not saying to avoid medicine because in some cases it is absolutely necessary to do more than diet, but we believe that whether you guys decide to do medicine or not, diet also plays a huge part in this disease, and we can say that from experience.

Also, I'm going to update tonight after dinner, but for now, my flu is almost gone! and my BM's are back to normal! Actually, they're even better now than they were before I got sick lol. I was nervous that they would continue to be diarrhea so I would be stuck at the beginning again, but they went right back to being solid again. To me that just shows that the diet must be doing something good inside me.

The scd diet works for 8 of 10 people. We were lucky because matthew decided he wanted to do the diet. Hes been 100 percent since march 2012. Hes played ice hockey in tn all weekend and hes one of the stronger players on the team. We know its the energy he gets from the diet!

KWalker

You're exactly right. The diet isn't for everyone because as individuals we just don't know exactly how severe another person's IBD is, but it does work for more people than it doesn't.

So glad to hear your son is doing really well on it!

KWalker

Day 20, January 21
Going to the bathroom: 1-2 times a day, solid.

Current Symptoms- None, diarrhea is gone! My abscesses are healing significantly! One is an open incision so that one will take longer to heal, but the other is a "pre-op" abscess because I've never had surgery so that controls itself. The size has gotten WAY smaller, and between the two I had next to no draining at all, and I wanted to specifically talk about this.

After my abscess surgery in December 2011, I had a 7.5" incision to drain a really bad abscess. I went through a lot of problems with it and had an insane amount of drainage. Ever since I've had to wear female pads in my underwear to catch the drainage because it was so excessive that after sitting down it would look like I had a big accident. The drainage was so bad with pus/blood (infection) that I would often have to change the pad twice or even three times a day. Although it didn't stay that bad all this time, I still had to wear the pads because I did have days where it would be heavier than others and I'd rather be safe than sorry. Now, I think it's time that I may not need them anymore. I've been watching it for the last few days and I'm just wasting pads now because I change them at the end of the day and they look brand new.

This may not sound very exciting, but to me this is HUGE! I'm a 22 year old male that had to wear female pads. It made me feel gross, unattractive, and I would have been extremely humiliated if anyone found out about it. I feel as if a huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders. This is one less thing I have to worry about. Now, although I'm not positive, I believe that it is because I'm going to the bathroom much less and it is now solid so the abscesses are not getting irritated.

Now onto the stuff everybody wants lol.
Chicken drumsticks with salad. We did a home made olive oil dressing for the salad. I ended up having 4 drum sticks. I feel so much better now because before I used to limit myself sometimes with food because I knew I would just be going to the bathroom afterwards anyways but now I'm holding the food much better!

And this is what Mariah made tonight and this i something I think everybody needs to try! First we have fried squash and carrots, but she took bacon, cheese, and spinach and wrapped it in a chicken breast and then put more cheese on it! nom nom nom

Great progress.!

1. I hope you froze the bones from the drumsticks plus any scraps for your stock collection. I don't care if you chewed them. First, the two of you live together and ... ; secondly, the stock will simmer for a long time :)
2. The bacon might be a problem for some people. I find all preserved and processed meats can react badly on me. Looks like a great meal, though. :thumright:

KWalker

Ugh! I didn't even think to save the bones! I have a lot left though so I'll be doing that for sure. I laughed at your comment about chewing them haha. It wouldn't bother me either with her. I have a little OCD when it comes to food/food cleanliness (once it's in my possession lol) but this year will be 8 years together for the two of us so she's an exception.

I wonder if the bacon you can find unprepared would be okay for some people. It's honestly around the same price, just for a little less but I bet the quality is significantly higher. I just use bacon a lot because it's an extra source of protein/calories and the less salt is allowed freely on the diet.

Great news about your abscess! I am so happy for you also :) When are you next seeing your doctor? I'm interested to know what they say about your abscess getting better and the diet. Does it look any better also or is it only the difference in drainage you have noticed?

KWalker

I got my blood results today. I'm still trying to figure out what they all mean but here are my base results so I can check again in a few months to see if there has been any improvement.

Hemoglobin-129
Hematocrit-0.39
WBC Count-7.3
RBC Count-5.35
MCV-73.1
MCH-24.1
MCHC-330
RDW-15.5
Platelet count-333

ESR-25
Neuts-5.4
Lymph-1.1
Mono-0.7
Eos-0.1
Baso-0.0

B12-273
Glucose-4.4
Calcium-2.36
Thrytropin-1.90
Ferritin-29
C-RP-34

xX_LittleMissValentine_Xx - I'm not sure the next time I'll be getting in to see a GI as I'm working on getting a new one and the wait times can be a few months here. The one that never got surgery is almost completely gone. Like, it's not a tiny bump I can run my fingers over but before I could like full on grab it. They're not draining at all right now either. The one that had surgery might even look the way it does now, forever. There's a huge scar still so I don't know if it just drained through the scar or what goes on. That one has stopped draining as well

xX_LittleMissValentine_Xx - I'm not sure the next time I'll be getting in to see a GI as I'm working on getting a new one and the wait times can be a few months here. The one that never got surgery is almost completely gone. Like, it's not a tiny bump I can run my fingers over but before I could like full on grab it. They're not draining at all right now either. The one that had surgery might even look the way it does now, forever. There's a huge scar still so I don't know if it just drained through the scar or what goes on. That one has stopped draining as well
Hmm... yeah I wonder where the drainage comes from. Well it sounds like they are making great improvements anyway :)

KWalker

lol thanks Charleigh and Holly!

Today is Day 22, I don't have much to update because the only improving I can do now is with the blood results. Other than that I am completely symptom free!

I made some breaded tilapia using almond flour and then fried it. It was absolutely delicious! It was the perfect amount of crispy, and tilapia is my favorite!

I liked the almond flour breading so much that we did it again with pork chops today! Then we fried up the carrots, cauliflower, and broccoli and had some spinach with lemon and e.v. olive oil. Delicious!

Glad you're doing good on the diet man! Iv slacked off since eating solids again, I've been having rice puffs as cereal, and store bought almond milk, the guilt of breaking SCD is there but I still feel great, I plan on doing the intro for maybe a day or two again soon and starting over

KWalker

I didn't even do the intro diet, I just went into it.

Also, tomorrow is my ridiculous day at school so I needed easy ways to get calories. I grilled up some chicken with some spices, packed some fruits but I also made a smoothie packed full of goodness!

I used:
2 handful of almonds
1 big handful of spinach
1 handful of cantelope
1 handful of blueberries
1 handful of blackberries
1 frozen banana
8 strawberries
LOTS of peanut butter

I gave it a little taste test and WOW is it good!? I can't even wait till school tomorrow so I can drink it lol

Kwalker, I'm amazed you're doing so well considering you jumped into eating advanced foods right away. I know a lot of people will be encouraged by this and it certainly makes the diet easier to follow rather than going through the boring introductions (I never thought I'd see the day when I'd get sick of spinach but I did when I was on it, lol). Congratulations!

KWalker

Mvond5 - thanks! I'll keep that in mind for the next time I catch the flu. It got pretty bad for a few days but thankfully it didn't last anything more than a few days

Partlycloudy- thank you! :). I'm a bit surprised myself to be honest, but I think that could be part of the reason why I've stuck with the diet because I could definitely see how somebody would give up after only eating food on the intro diet. I've actually always used spinach as my lettuce for salad. When I was younger my mom just used a normal head of lettuce but I feel like the spinach has more flavor to it, and its way better for you! I also use it in all of my smoothies and can't taste it at all under all the other stuff.

I prefer raw spinach also and find my body digests it better than lettuce. Go figure. Anyway, I wish you the absolute best. I was on SCD for 10 months then quit due to all the labor and missing eating out and find it so depressing to think of returning to it (CD worsening gradually) but your posts and others are very encouraging.

KWalker

Sorry I haven't updated, you'll have to excuse me because I've got midterms coming up soon and I've been extremely busy with school.

Day 26, January 27th

There's not much to update because I'm symptom free now and the only improvements I can see further would be blood results/colonoscopies.

Here are some meals I've had over the last few days.

The first is a turkey, mushroom salad with spinach, cheese, and a home made dressing.

This is tilapia and home made chili. It was soooo good! The weather here is about -15 lately so some nice warm chili is perfect on a cold winter day.

Since I don't have much to update, I've decided to list a few things I've learned since starting the diet.
1. Chocolate/sweets really are addicting

2. Grains may be really cheaper, fast, and delicious, but I feel so much better without
them.

3. Smoothies are a perfect snack for on the go and taste delicious

4. I considered myself symptom free before starting the diet, but now I really see what it's like to be symptom free.

5. Honey in coffee is delicious

6. Like Charleigh has mentioned, if you don't try to make the old foods you ate, using new SCD legal ingredients (almond flour bread) this diet can be easily done on a budget. I buy fruits and vegetables more often now, but I save a ton of money not buying junk food

7. It's better to consume less calories that you actually digest rather than a lot of calories that go straight through you.

Sorry I haven't updated, you'll have to excuse me because I've got midterms coming up soon and I've been extremely busy with school.
I understand, but noticed you were on the board and was hoping for more yummy food pics. Thanks!

We've also found that the extra we spend in buying organic as much ad possible, we save by not buying junk/preprocessed food, so it's basically a wash.

:)

KWalker

I have my profile set to always logged in so that may be why. Or a lot of the times I come on, I'm on break at school, or on the bus on my blackberry and I take all the pictures with a digital camera so I have to load them, then put them online, then bring them here.

Even if you don't see me update with pics, don't hesitate to post a question/comment and I'll reply pretty quickly. It's usually just the pics that can take a little.

I have my profile set to always logged in so that may be why. Or a lot of the times I come on, I'm on break at school, or on the bus on my blackberry and I take all the pictures with a digital camera so I have to load them, then put them online, then bring them here.

Even if you don't see me update with pics, don't hesitate to post a question/comment and I'll reply pretty quickly. It's usually just the pics that can take a little.
I'm always looking for new recipe ideas, and also noticing how similar the foods you've been preparing on the SCD diet are to the way we've been eating. Wondering if that might have something to do with the fact my husband's issues with gastritis/colitis have been in recession for so long (realizing it could still flare back up at any time.)

We haven't eliminated dairy or wheat/gluten completely though, but have been planning on incorporating some alternatives. Your cauliflower bread seems especially intriguing.

KWalker

The cauliflower bread I made was delicious! Charleigh posted a recipe in the SCD January Support Thread and hers stuck together so she could actually make sandwiches with it. Mine would stick together but it would take two hands. We ended up using a fork to eat it.

How is your husband doing with the gluten? I was actually thinking today how delicious it would be to have toast and apple sauce. It's little things like that I miss sometimes. I loved toast absolutely covered in butter lol. It does add some difficulty without potatoes too. We ate potatoes with every single meal before. Not usually mashed, but we always fried them, or baked them with carrots and olive oil.

I strongly suggest anybody on the diet should join www.pinterest.com They have a TON of SCD recipes on there. It's a website pretty much where anybody can post anything so there is a huge number of people sharing recipes. I get a lot of my juicing recipes from there as well.

Do you guys have any meals unlike what I've posted? We're always looking for new recipes as well. Different sauces and "toppings" like that can really change how something tastes.

Very interesting test you have kwalker!

Im no doctor but 14 years with crohn I can say that you C-RP(c reactive protein) levels say that you still have inflammation going on. Levels below 5 mg/l are considered as normal(according my doc). CRP halflife is 19h so it is good indicator for overall inflammation.

I was with SCD 2 months when i got really pissed on my Crohn and wanted to do something. I lost 20 pounds weight same time(lots of sports). I found it bit hard to maintain so after that I changed to paleo, and now I have added sour milk and cream to my green list.
One month SCD was enough to get me symptons free and after 3 month my CRP levels went from 14 to <5. I was in better shape than you when I started SCD so maybe It was easier to get progress. You should try F-calpro test. Its more accurate method(you left your poop sample and they analyze proteins from it).

After 3 years of good life, I cant drink coffee(comes through almost instantly) and eat chili. Luckily my wife likes to cook for me and she likes to eat same foods. I would advice you to eat D-vitamin(D3 forum) and fish oil suppliments.

In some point, you will start slipping from your diet. And for those moments you should have always at hand something diet food which tastes good and its easy to prepare. So when you are ready to slip, you can have easily "good" food. My easy foods are pork ribs slices or blueberry&lingon&raspberry+banan+2dl cream, its like somesort icecream.

ps. can you tell what are ingredients for peanut butter, Im not from North-America and I would like to try it.

Good luck for your diet !

KWalker

Jussip- thanks. I've had crohns my whole life as well so inflammation- meh. It doesn't really bother me to be honest, it comes along with having crohns. The purpose of the diet is to reduce that inflammation however so I'm waiting to see if it actually does anything. As of right now I haven't cheated yet and I can't see myself cheating anytime soon but thanks for the heads up.

Even with my inflammation where it's at I could eat whatever I wanted before/now without flaring. I've had so much chili over the weekend. And I drink atleast coffee every single day. The only ingredient in peanut butter is peanuts. I use the kraft all natural brand but you should be able to find all natural peanut butter anywhere.

xX_LittleMissValentine_Xx- since starting I've lost 2 pounds, but I lost weight when I had the flu and wasn't really eating for a few days

Thought my husband was doing fine with gluten, but after the whole "hospitalization with life threatening allergic reaction to medication", we're concerned about other sensitivities/allergies. As soon as he recovers a little more, is now planning on starting an elimination diet -- starting with wheat/gluten, at least for a while to find out.

We cook almost everything from scratch to eliminate as much sodium as possible, replacing salt with some pretty strange flavor combinations. For example, we love BBQ tacos, but made with our own BBQ sauce (tomatoes, honey and vinegar) and homemade tortillas (flour, fresh lard, kefir), the taste is nothing like it would with store bought ingredients.

Our bread is home made, without any preservatives. When we buy bread, we do so from our local polish deli, which they also make fresh from scratch daily, without any preservatives, and very little salt. (His blood pressure is fairly normal, but the low sodium diet is primarily to prevent him from developing high blood pressure, which could be dangerous because one side of his heart is a little larger than the other. Most preprocessed food contains far too much sodium.)

He may very well end up following the SCD diet.

Last edited:
One month SCD was enough to get me symptons free and after 3 month my CRP levels went from 14 to <5. I was in better shape than you when I started SCD so maybe It was easier to get progress. You should try F-calpro test. Its more accurate method(you left your poop sample and they analyze proteins from it).
This is great to know. I have not been able to find many real life experiences on how long it takes to see inflammatory marker changes. With E, his SED and CRP are still quite elevated. I think in time they will come down. It is good to hear that yours did come down.

KWalker

You guys will have to excuse me for a little bit. I'm dealing with a lot of family stuff right now and might just take some time for myself for a few days.

Sorry..

KWalker

I have decided to attempt adding potatoes into my diet. I know there is some controversy over whether or not potatoes can be used but after all they are a vegetable and there is a lot worse I could be eating. It will also open up a ton of new meals to eat. I will give it a try for a little while and if I notice any differences than I will stop again but I want to give it a try

I think since you are symptom free, it isn't a terrible idea. Just remember this...
if you eat something new and you have diarrhea within 4-36 hours, it is typically because you aren't healed enough to digest that food.
If you start eating something new and you begin having consistent and frequent bouts of diarrhea 1-4 weeks later then it is probably because that food is causing internal damage. My caution is this...if you begin eating potatoes and you feel fine in 3 days, don't totally consider it safe yet. If you start eating potatoes and you are still going great in a month or two, then you can consider it safe :)
Many people have success on the paleo diet once they are stable and the paleo diet allows potatoes.
Just keep me posted. I would love to add potatoes to E's diet in the future. You can be a guinea pig for us, lol.

I was also going to add...you still need watch french fries. Quick and easy, yes, but so many chains have additives and fillers. Find a local source
(or even a chain) that is just potatoes before you consider that a safe step :)

KWalker

lol I'd love to be a guinea pig. I'm actually getting sick of eating squash for every single meal lol. It is good, but everyday? I need some variety! I just want to try the potatoes for a little while and see how I do, but that will be the only modification I will do because the rest of the diet seems to be working for me. We always do roasted potatoes and carrots with extra virgin olive oil and it is delicious.

I will keep that in mind with the time frames to watch for. I will keep a close eye on things to see if I notice any difference. Oh also, I tried a drink of Mariah's pop the other night because I haven't had ANY since stopping cold turkey on January 1st and I didn't really like it. You are definitely right when you said E could really taste the aspartame. It seemed to have a really weird after taste you can really notice when you go awhile without drinking it.

Also, I saw this picture and thought about how true it was.

I like that pic!
You saying about eating squash every day reminded me of a story I'd like to share!
My mum's friend grew a massive pumpkin in their allotment, they won a comp for it! But she doesn't really like cooking and didn't know what to do with it! My mum loves food and cooking so kept asking her what she was going to make with it. Eventually my mum asked her if we could have it, so we could cook up a load of stuff and then give them some. We would have hated it to go to waste.
So this was not last weekend but the weekend before, we cut it in half, and with half of it made: a big pumpkin curry, two pumpkin pies, a pumpkin cake, saved some for a risotto the next day, gave some to our neighbour and my sister took some home with her. We have had pumpkin in almost every meal since with the second half, and my mum is making another pumpkin cake as we speak!! Soooo much pumpkin!!!

KWalker

lol I totally get what you mean Holly! Although I do not like pumpkin so I would probably starve until you guys got rid of it all haha.

Do you have any pics of the pumpkin?

KWalker

Lol oh your poor thing! Lol just kidding. I created a photobucket again so you have to put the pictures on there and then copy the img link onto here. Its kind of a pain at first but you get used to. I wish we had a way of uploading from our desktops

KWalker

Its free and it is pretty easy, it just takes a little to get used too. That's why I don't post pics everyday, partially because it can be time consuming when you're busy...and I haven't ate anything really interesting lol

KWalker

Trying potatoes for the first time tonight! I'll take a pic but we're roasting them with carrots. They're so good this way

I am really hopeful that potatoes will be okay. Potatoes are such a great way to add in calories without so much prep work and they taste great too
:ybiggrin:

KWalker

I agree! I seemed to have no immediate reactions so far. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it remains. I felt so much more full last night with the potatoes too.

I think the next thing I'm going to try, but not for a little while, is 70% + dark chocolate.

I think after 6 months symptom free I would like to try potatoes, sweet potatoes, and cocoa powder for E.

At one year I would like to try white rice.

Everything else is so questionable....I just don't know.

Keep us posted.

KWalker

I actually haven't gone to the bathroom since yesterday morning...

When you talk about white rice, I'm assuming you're not talking about instant rice right?

When you talk about white rice, I'm assuming you're not talking about instant rice right?
Yes, just a plain white rice, not instant. I am not ready to go down that path yet but in the future (a year or more symptom free). I think it is a relatively "safe" thing to try. I am not sure if I will ever encourage E to try corn or grains containing gluten (wheat, rye, etc). I am curious about oatmeal though. Hugh started out on SCD (or a similar diet, I believe?) and his permanent diet has included white rice and cocoa.

KWalker

I actually used to love corn but I haven't even been missing it. Same with bread. I don't even really like plain bread, but I always ate toast. For me I like the pasta better but cutting that out doesn't bother me.

"If" you found that your long term diet could include rice, we really like rice pasta. E was thought to have celiacs before his diagnosis so he was on a gluten free diet for a time and the rice pasta is actually very nice. I see that as something we will only try in the distant future though.

KWalker

Rice pasta? I've never even heard of that! lol.

I need to get on my computer because I think I have some pictures to upload. I don't really have any updates because I don't have much to improve on anymore but everyone likes pictures!

KWalker

sweet potatoes aren't my favorite but I would definitely try them again. I've found a lot of new food I've grown to like since starting the diet.

E doesn't like sweet potatoes either. We grew a ton of them last summer and they are in storage and he is happy to skip them, lol. They are good with butter, honey, and cinnamon though.

My son is also following the SCD diet. We've been at it for 18 weeks now and he feels great. He says he's never felt better.

I'm hoping to add new potatoes to his diet around 9 - 12 months on the diet. I'm basing some of my additions on which have a low glycemic index. Eventually I'd like to add some bread back probably sourdough since it goes through a fermentation process (read The Maker's Diet and thought fermentation made sense).

My son in on Methotrexate
SED 40 at June diagnosis, October SED 19, December SED 9, January SED 4.

We started SCD after the October bloodwork showing 19. Only after being the diet has he truly been symptom free.

KWalker

I wouldn't BrettBe. The only safe thing I've heard is honey. I could be wrong though. I've used honey in everything I want sweetened and it works perfect, and I know it's safe.

A lot of the diets are really close, with small differences. Like I said, I could be wrong though so I will have a look at it.

MomRocksOut- I've been hearing about your son's success on the diet and I hope it continues! Those are promising improvements. Do you know his CRP rates?

KWalker - I wrote the CRP down somewhere and now can't find it. I'm trying to keep better track of everything. We are hoping to go med free sometime in the near future - hopefully by May. Once off medication I won't be introducing anything new for several months just to make sure all is ok.

I made cheese souffle and chicken breakfast sausage this morning and both were a hit with the entire family! Even my picky 8 yr old loved it :biggrin:

The SCD diet does allow saccharin, and limited aspartame, but not stevia. Saccharin and aspartame are both zero calorie artificial sweeteners, while stevia is a plant extract 300 times sweeter than sugar.

So it appears you can drink the occasional diet soda on the SCD diet, but only 1 per week, and even then, only once symptom free. From the official website: http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.info/legal/listing/A/

However, saccharin is totally legal on the SCD diet. See link: http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.info/legal/listing/S/

Unless you're looking to lose weight though, why wouldn't you stick with honey? No doubt it's healthier and I would be concerned about chemicals in artificial sweeteners regardless.

Last edited:
I'm a fat Crohnie and I lost 50 pounds on the SCD eating lots of honey. Just thought I'd add that in. I wonder if malabsorption makes some people fat in the same way it makes most lose weight. I know I was consuming many, many, many more calories and grams of fat on SCD than I ever did eating regular food.