Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » SCD and Paleo Diets » My journey with the Specific Carbohydrate Diet.

01-09-2013, 11:32 AM   #61
xX_LittleMissValentine_Xx

My Support Groups:
I'm really enjoying reading through this thread
Its really good to be able to read about it from the beginning and know your symptoms and improvements. It gives a clear realistic idea of what it is like to do the diet.
Infliximab

Past:
Pentasa
Prednisolone
Azathioprine

My blog: http://hollysbloggyness.blogspot.com/
01-09-2013, 05:53 PM   #62
KWalker

Thanks Holly! This is a learning experience for me so I really wanted to experience the importance of the diet to know whether I could keep doing what I'm doing or if I couldn't do it without doing the intro diet. I also wanted to show others how easy it is to make some of the foods because if I have time to make them, anybody does.

Yesterday I just ended up snacking when I got home. We were too tired to actually make anything. We did however make more candied pecans although this time we had almonds as well to give some variety.

Day 8, January 9.
Feeling great today. All diet-related problems have subsided for now. Still have the diarrhea and frequency is still the same.

Breakfast: Had my coffee with some apple sauce and fruits.

Lunch: Large chicken breast, strawberries. Also made a smoothie with strawberries, lime, hazelnut milk, blackberries, mint leaves I just bought and some ginger root. My list is growing of ingredients for the smoothies! lol. I'm making sure they're packed with ingredients haha.

Dinner: Tonight we're having spaghetti squash with grilled shrimp. We're doing a garlic and olive oil type of sauce. Like trying any new recipe we're nervous but if it tastes anything like the butternut squash it should be delicious.

I know it seems like I stopped posting pictures but it's just because I haven't tried anything new. I will edit this post with a picture of the spaghetti squash when we're done!

Previous Meds:
Prednisone
Remicade
Humira
Methotrexate (oral)
Methotrexate (injections)
Cipro
Flagyl

Current Treatment:
200mg Simponi, Psyllium

Last edited by KWalker; 01-11-2013 at 07:45 AM.
01-11-2013, 07:48 AM   #63
KWalker

Gahh I've been slacking. I've been so focused on school again that I haven't had time to come on here. Quick update- I went to the doctor and got the form so I can get the blood work. She had no problem giving it to me and said she thinks I'm crazy for going on a strict diet like that but if it works than she supports it. They're all very nice at my school.

I was at school last night from 10-9 so it was mostly snacks, chicken, etc. I got home and just whipped up some chicken, squash and carrots quickly. Mariah also made me banana muffins!

I'm off to school again in a minute but I promise over the weekend I will post and update
01-11-2013, 08:49 AM   #64
Charleigh
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Gahh I've been slacking. I've been so focused on school again that I haven't had time to come on here.
You are very busy and the diet alone adds to your load. If you can't update daily, that is okay

Great news on the doctor being laid back about it!
Enteral Nutrition
01-12-2013, 06:53 PM   #65
KWalker

Day 11, January 12

Thanks Charleigh Yes I am very busy! I already have a paper due on cloning and tissue engineering so I've been trying to find my own sources for it so I could start the paper. Being the weekend though, Mariah made a delicious dinner tonight. She made lemon-garlic chicken breasts, sweetened carrots in honey and butter, and spinach salad with an olive oil, lemon, and herb dressing. (See below)

As you can see in the picture, I only stopped doing textbook notes to eat and make my post

In other news, my BM's have been starting to form and I can "pass gas" now without worrying about anything else lol. The BM's are similar to what you would expect from a small dog (formed but small, and a bunch of pieces) but it is still getting better everyday!

I've lost 2lbs but I'm putting that on starting school and being new to the diet still I was somewhat unprepared for long days without access to a stove to cook meals so I'm not too worried about that. I'll just keep an eye on it.

The sheet for the blood work includes:
1.TSH (not sure what this is)
2.Vitamin B-12
3.Ferritin (not sure)
4.CBC
5.CRP
6.Comprehensive Metabolic Panel
7.Vitamin D- 25 Hydroxy
8.ESR
9.Calcium

Now I just have to find to go get the bloodwork lol. I'm hoping for sometime either Monday or Tuesday

Last edited by KWalker; 01-12-2013 at 07:40 PM.
01-12-2013, 10:02 PM   #66
Charleigh
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Day 11, January 12

I've lost 2lbs but I'm putting that on starting school and being new to the diet still I was somewhat unprepared for long days without access to a stove to cook meals so I'm not too worried about that. I'll just keep an eye on it.

The sheet for the blood work includes:
1.TSH (not sure what this is)
2.Vitamin B-12
3.Ferritin (not sure)
4.CBC
5.CRP
6.Comprehensive Metabolic Panel
7.Vitamin D- 25 Hydroxy
8.ESR
9.Calcium

Now I just have to find to go get the bloodwork lol. I'm hoping for sometime either Monday or Tuesday

Looks like a great meal, yay for Mariah! Yay for the BM's too!

E lost before he gained so try not to worry too much at first. It took him a while to figure out the right amount to eat. Also, he learned to lean on the good fats (peanut butter and almond flour).

As far labs, TSH is Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (very standard) and I am pretty sure Ferritin is for iron levels. Everything looks pretty standard.
01-12-2013, 10:09 PM   #67
Susan2

My Support Groups:
How did the spaghetti squash go? I've looked at it a couple of times in the green grocers, but have never tried it.
Currently on no medications, but under constant gaze of very caring GP, with annual blood and other tests.
01-12-2013, 10:16 PM   #68
KWalker

Oh yes you're right about the Ferritin. I'm actually glad that's being checked because I used to have to get iron infusions while having my Remicade because my iron was so low.

I actually haven't had peanut butter in a few days because I didn't have any little tupperware containers to bring it to school so I had to get some. It makes a great snack with celery or the little cookies I made using your recipe.

We just made almond milk as well. We let them soak overnight the night before and they got huge! We made so much more milk using the same amounts of nuts as well did with the hazelnuts but because of the size, we got much more out of it.
01-13-2013, 08:49 AM   #69
KWalker

How did the spaghetti squash go? I've looked at it a couple of times in the green grocers, but have never tried it.
Susan, the spaghetti was good taste wise, but it's more crunchy than pasta. It was really easy to make and then once it's hot you just take a fork to it and then it turns all stringy. The taste is pretty bland so it could definitely be a pasta substitute I just think I might cook it for longer next time to see if I could make it softer.
01-13-2013, 09:57 AM   #70
Ya noy

Susan, the spaghetti was good taste wise, but it's more crunchy than pasta. It was really easy to make and then once it's hot you just take a fork to it and then it turns all stringy. The taste is pretty bland so it could definitely be a pasta substitute I just think I might cook it for longer next time to see if I could make it softer.
Yeah, spaghetti squash isn't normally crunchy. You probably didn't cook it long enough.

It's also easy to grow. Takes up quite a bit of garden space, but is also a good producer and freezes well. Not a good veggie for canning though.
01-13-2013, 10:06 AM   #71
KWalker

Oh really? Okay awesome. I wasn't sure if it was supposed to be like that or if that's just for how I cooked it. I think I link I found online said to cook it in the oven for about an hour.

I don't grow my own veggies because I live in an apartment but I think the spaghetti squash was only like two bucks at the grocery store. It makes A LOT too! We had heaping plates and still have a lot left.
01-13-2013, 10:47 AM   #72
Ya noy

Oh really? Okay awesome. I wasn't sure if it was supposed to be like that or if that's just for how I cooked it. I think I link I found online said to cook it in the oven for about an hour.

I don't grow my own veggies because I live in an apartment but I think the spaghetti squash was only like two bucks at the grocery store. It makes A LOT too! We had heaping plates and still have a lot left.
You know, bush tomatoes, most peppers and herbs grow well indoors, and make great house plants. Grow them the same as any other potted plants and keep them near windows that get the most morning sun. If you can snag a few full spectrum lights or bulbs, you can even grow them in the winter.

We're also sprouting some beans and chia seeds, right now, as well as various varieties of lettuce, using "Aerogardens" which are kind of a hydroponic device--normally rather pricy, but we found a few at liquidation sales for 80% off.

Spaghetti squash goes well with pasta (tomato) sauce too
01-13-2013, 10:53 AM   #73
KWalker

We've actually looked into growing indoors, and still do once and awhile we've just never followed through with it lol. That's why we used the spaghetti squash was to try it so we can eventually make our own pasta sauce.

We also made our own salad dressing. Its like a red wine vinegrette dressing and its pretty tasty. When I say we, its really just for me because Mariah can really use any dressing she wants. I've found some almost legal salad dressings that only had 1 illegal ingredient but I figured its still better to make it ourselves.
01-13-2013, 12:11 PM   #74
Ya noy

We've actually looked into growing indoors, and still do once and awhile we've just never followed through with it lol. That's why we used the spaghetti squash was to try it so we can eventually make our own pasta sauce.

We also made our own salad dressing. Its like a red wine vinegrette dressing and its pretty tasty. When I say we, its really just for me because Mariah can really use any dressing she wants. I've found some almost legal salad dressings that only had 1 illegal ingredient but I figured its still better to make it ourselves.
Moving away from processed foods is the reason we started growing our own veggies, and make as much as possible from scratch organically. We've planted fruit trees too, but it will be a few years yet before they start producing.

You can also boil spaghetti squash to soften it up to more of a pasta like consistency. Reduces cooking time as well, but also loses some of the nutrients in the water. (But you can then save the water for use as additional flavoring in soups.)
01-14-2013, 08:26 AM   #75
KWalker

Once we get our own house we want to grow fruits and vegetables. My grandpa had a garden and always had fresh vegetables so I want to do the same.

We wondered about boiling the squash. Would you boil it whole and then "string" it or do that first and the boil it?

Also, I got my blood taken today so they said I should have the results by Wednesday morning. I couldn't get Vitamin D or CMP (?) because they wanted an extra $120 because those two aren't covered. Unless those are really important than I'll get those later.
01-14-2013, 06:58 PM   #76
Marge

My Support Groups:
Wow, KWalker are you controlled by diet?
01-14-2013, 07:05 PM   #77
Marge

My Support Groups:
Susan2, can you tolerate raw foods and nuts? I also had a total colectomy and have Crohns. I have an internal J pouch and have had blockages. I chew everything up completely and it takes me forever to eat. Seeds, even sauted spinach can come through me undigested. I can eat soft nuts like pecans. Some things just give me D. Like blueberries. What can you eat?
01-14-2013, 08:24 PM   #78
KWalker

Wow, KWalker are you controlled by diet?
I am! So is Charleigh's son, and also Gianni and both doing well! For me personally it wasn't easy at first and I had many instances where I wanted to cave and eat the crap food again but I stuck through it and now my withdrawals are gone.

Before I used to avoid being around people eating normal food and now it doesn't even bother me when I see them because I've found foods that I can eat and can enjoy
01-14-2013, 08:56 PM   #79
rollinstone

Keep going with the SCD man, I felt amazing on it, I was only diagnosed on sept last year, and pretty much started on SCD straight away, took a whole but felt way better, pretty much just lived on chicken, fish, eggs, avo, soup etc, I'm now on a week of total liquid diet, and honestly I felt way better on the SCD I was doing, I just still had some blood even though I was feeling good... Still do have blood tho so I'm gonna give this thing another week then go back to SCD if no improvements
01-14-2013, 08:57 PM   #80
rollinstone

Ps your picture recipes look good haha
01-14-2013, 09:39 PM   #81
KWalker

Thanks man. If you don't mind me asking, why are you on the liquid diet if you were doing well on SCD? Thanks for the comment about the pics too lol.

So as you guys can see, my available time has gone significantly down and it makes me sad that I can't update this thread as much as I'd like. I've been doing a lot of my posts from my phone lately but I do have some pics to upload when I do go on.

I think I'll shift and post mostly pictures of dinner. My breakfasts haven't changed from the pics I've already posted and now with school I've been making breakfast foods I can snack on with my fingers while on the go.
01-14-2013, 09:52 PM   #82
rollinstone

Well basically because I was still passing blood, even though I was feeling good just sorta felt like I was on a constant straight line as opposed to professing to the point of not bleeding, the liquid diet I'm on sort of goes against my belief system w all the maltodextrin etc in it but I tried SCD for a solid few months and gave it a good shot, if the liquid diet doesn't stop the blood within another week I'll likely go back to SCD and maybe start on imuran. I'm stil Tryna taper off these preds, I don't know if it's a good thing or not that pred hasn't been helping, guess it could go either way.
01-15-2013, 05:52 AM   #83
Ya noy

Once we get our own house we want to grow fruits and vegetables. My grandpa had a garden and always had fresh vegetables so I want to do the same.

We wondered about boiling the squash. Would you boil it whole and then "string" it or do that first and the boil it?
You can do it either way, but if you boil raw it's advisable to first slice at least into halves or quarters, and remove seeds. Boil skin side up for about 15-20 minutes.

We've found that the easiest veggies to grow and biggest producers are tomatoes and zucchini squash. One or two plants of each supplies tons of veggies. (Of course to be accurate, tomatoes are a fruit.).
01-15-2013, 06:27 AM   #84
Charleigh
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Before I used to avoid being around people eating normal food and now it doesn't even bother me when I see them because I've found foods that I can eat and can enjoy
My son is only eleven and he has found the same thing. The cravings leave and food just doesn't bother you anymore. I have been on a diet very similar to SCD for about a year and I found the same thing too. You adjust and move on with life. Even at his age, he sees it is worth it because he feels better.
01-15-2013, 07:01 AM   #85
Susan2

My Support Groups:
Susan2, can you tolerate raw foods and nuts? I also had a total colectomy and have Crohns. I have an internal J pouch and have had blockages. I chew everything up completely and it takes me forever to eat. Seeds, even sauted spinach can come through me undigested. I can eat soft nuts like pecans. Some things just give me D. Like blueberries. What can you eat?
It's unusual to have a J-pouch when you have Crohn's, isn't it Marge?

I can only eat skinless walnuts and macadamia nuts - their flesh is much softer than most of the other nuts. I try to avoid seeds; as you say, they come through exactly as they went in. I also eat almost no raw vegetables, except cucumber. Lettuce comes out as lettuce! I eat a lot of cooked vegetables - not Swiss chard (what we call silverbeet), cabbage, onions, but I can eat English spinach and the softer Chinese greens if cooked and I can tolerate well-cooked leeks. And lots of other vegetables, too, including potatoes and sweet potatoes.

I can eat raw apples, if I grate them or chew them very thoroughly, and cooked plums, a few cherries at a time, and one piece of raw stone fruit a day. We are in the middle of stone fruit season here and the temptation is very great, but I have to remember the diarrhoea I get if I eat more than one apricot or nectarine or peach. Watermelon, but not the other melons, and watermelon makes delicious juice.

Sorry, I have rattled on for a bit long. Feel free to ask anything.
01-15-2013, 09:12 AM   #86
Marge

My Support Groups:
Susan,
Yes, I think we are a rarity. Our diets are very similar. I cook all my veggies & juice raw fruit. I can't tolerate raw blueberries, but i can eat peeled apples in small amounts....No raw citrus friuts! Even juiced they can be a challenge. I too can eat raw peeled cucumbers without big seeds. I usually
juice watermelon because the long read fibers come through whole, the first time I thought it was blood. What are English greens?

My fear is a blockage so I am very careful. I also love peaches, our season was in June-July. I can tolerate one peeled.

I would love to keep in touch!

Last edited by Marge; 01-15-2013 at 09:19 AM. Reason: Info and grammar
01-15-2013, 09:37 AM   #87
Susan2

My Support Groups:
I have difficulty with citrus other than lemon juice in very small quantities or in cooking. It's too acid for me. I think you just call it spinach - there is some confusion here between what we call silver beet (and you call Swiss chard) and spinach, so it tends to get called English spinach. I chop it finely and am still not sure whether I digest much of it. I find the long thin cucumbers, which we call telegraph cucumbers (but I think you call English cucumbers) are best, although I still peel them.

I gave myself a quite severe blockage once by eating a largish piece of cake, which I found out later was made from ground almonds and semolina!

I have sent you a message and yes, I would like to keep in touch, too.
01-15-2013, 11:30 AM   #88
KWalker

Susan and Marge, how are you guys with sesame seeds? My brother has an illeostomy and when eating hamburgers he has to order it on 2 bottom buns because the top usually has sesame seeds and he seems to have a lot of problems with them. Are you guys the same?

Also, I think I'll have time to update the thread today with some pics/info.
01-15-2013, 12:19 PM   #89
CeeCeeGo
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Hello
Your thread is really interesting and the photos are great (I see a cookbook in the future!). I look forward to seeing what happens over the next few weeks.
Thanks for doing this.
Carol 😋
01-15-2013, 03:38 PM   #90
KWalker

Thank you Carol, I appreciate that! No cook book, from me at least lol. Mariah (my better half) does most of the cooking because my skills are at the point where I could burn things in the microwave! haha.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » SCD and Paleo Diets » My journey with the Specific Carbohydrate Diet.