• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

A story of success and support 19yo

Hi everyone my name is Jeremy. I would like to share with you my story about Crohn's disease. I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease at the age of 8. I started experiencing great stomach pains and uncontrollable bowel movements. Throughout the next few years I was given every medication known to men from prednisone to ASA drugs to remicade and humira to drug trials such as methotrexate. Unfortunately I was not getting better and ended up having three surgeries in three years. I started with a subtotal collectomy in my freshman year of high school and felt better for about a year and a half. During my junior year I became very sick and needed surgery again. This time i ended up with an illeostomy. I was very embarrassed and due to my long recovery time missed all but 2 months of my junior year. However I was able to power through my misfortune and did well in my junior year. After 6 months with my illeostomy I had it reversed during my third and final surgery. after this last surgery I began to come around. I have been in relative remission for the past 2 years (knock on wood), while only taking a little medication. I am now proud to say that i am a healthy 19yo sophomore at the University of Miami, pursuing my studies and living a relatively normal college life. Throughout the years I have had a desire to help those afflicted with Crohn's disease like myself. My junior year of high school I raised $4,000 for the CCFA take steps charity walk and during my junior year donated 200 books and library carts to my local hospital's children's outpatient wing where I had my remicade sessions. This year I was honored with the UCB Crohn's disease scholarship to help with my college tuition. The reason I have written my story here today is that I wanted to tell those who read this that are going through the same things that I did that it is not the end of the world. You can power through and persevere through all that Crohn's disease throws at you. I also wanted to let readers know that you can lead a normal life with Crohn's. Finally I want to offer my support and help to those who need it. I have been through almost every procedure and have been on almost all medications available and i feel as if I can help lend support and advice to those that need it. If you are struggling with Crohn's disease or have questions feel free to contact me and I will be happy to help.

Thank-your so much for sharing your story. You are an inspiration!!
for having such a rough road, you have a wonderful attitude.
Any thoughts on what helped you go into remission?

take care and as a mother of a daughter with Crohns, I love reading your story.

I'm glad you found my story a comfort. In terms of remission, I believe a large part of it had to do with my ileostomy. While it was a very embarrassing process and a major life adjustment, the amount of time that my intestines were rested from the rigors of Crohn's disease is what i believed gave my body time to fight the Crohn's disease in my body more aggressively.

Angrybird

Hello Jeremy and welcome to the forum, I am glad you have decided to join :)

I think you have a really good attitude and I am really pleased with what you have already been able to achieve. When you say relative remission does that mean you still have a few symptoms? Is the Remicade the only med you are now on for your crohn's? Also do the docs ever do checks on your vitamin levels, given the ops you have had to have this is an area that should not definetly be kept an eye on. We also have a stoma sub forum that is worth checking out so you can have a chat with the folks here as well: http://www.crohnsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=46.

Wishing you all the best.

AB
xx

afidz

Super Moderator
Wow Jeremy! Welcome to the forum, I'm happy your here! Its so comforting to hear a success story like yours! It sounds like you went through a lot and still have a positive attitude. Thank you so much for the donations you have made, I'm sure the children really enjoyed your donation as will as CCFA! I'm looking forward to reading more of your stories and advice you have to give!

By relative remission I mean that I occasionally have a bad day or two but there are very few symptoms. I am no longer on remicade as it worked initially but started to last for shorter periods of time the longer I used it. I used remicade when I was in middle school. I am currently on lomotil and 6mp. My doctors do check my vitamin levels periodically and I do take a calcium and vitamin D pill as well to compensate for any lack of these vitamins and minerals in my system.

That's a refreshingly inspiring story you have there! Thanks for sharing it with us - I hope someone reading this comes out with a brighter outlook.