Share Facebook

01-03-2013, 04:21 PM   #1
hannah-rose
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Self help for low mood

Hey everyone,

I was wondering if anybody on this forum could offer any advice on self-help or natural remedies for low mood/minor depression.

I've been struggling with minor depression for a while now, it was a niggling problem when I was living at home in 2011, then when I moved to London in 2012 I thought things would improve except my depression got worse and I was really, really unhappy. I moved back home thinking this would make me feel better and it has, but it's becoming clear to me now that my low mood isn't situational, and it might just be something that I'm going to struggle with unless I find practical ways of dealing with it.

I'm not at any risk to myself and I'm still able to go to work and live a normal life so I'm not considering medication.

My main problems are:

feeling down and hopeless
anxiety
low confidence and fear
low self-esteem
feeling disappointed with life

I'd love to be able to leap out of bed in the mornings, full of the joys of life, and one of my 2013 new years resolutions is to take practical steps to achieving good mental health and happiness.

All tips appreciated

Hannah

Diagnosed 2011
Current meds: 6MP and plenty of exercise!
Previous meds: Metronidazole, Infliximab, Humira, Azathioprine
01-03-2013, 04:24 PM   #2
ctrl z
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I know the feeling. I had a few very low years.

Have you tried incorporating some cardio exercise into your daily routine? I've noticed that I am much more optimistic when I've had a good sweating session.
01-03-2013, 04:25 PM   #3
SarahBear

My Support Groups:
Is counseling off the table? It sounds like that would be your best bet, especially considering the anxiety and confidence problems.

If you don't want to go that route, I'd try a journal. Really try to focus on the good things that happened, and the things you like about yourself. Writing it out might help reinforce those ideas.

Sarah.
Diagnosed with Crohn's disease 12/6/08.
Have taken: Prednisone, 6mp, methotrexate, Pentasa.
Currently waiting for a new medication!

Check out the Crohn's forum chat!

01-03-2013, 04:47 PM   #4
hannah-rose
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Hi guys, sorry to hear you also had problems ctrl_z. Exercise is the one thing I know I should do but that I always manage to put off. I might try doing a long walk once a week and build up slowly to see if that helps, thank you for the advice.

Hi Sarah, I was also thinking about going to my GP about how I'm feeling. I've been twice before for depression and been referred to counselling but never taken it up. I think it might be time to get some help to see if I can beat it once and for all. I've started writing an online journal actually. What I'm going to try and do is focus on the positive stuff when I write it so I have something really positive to always refer back to, rather than dwelling on when I feel bad.

I was also working through MoodGYM https://moodgym.anu.edu.au/welcome which is a free online CBT tool to help improve depression and anxiety. I'm hoping it's going to work but so far I haven't been able to put the advice into practice.
01-03-2013, 05:00 PM   #5
PaulPhoenix

Hi Hannah,

I'd recommend you attack it from multiple angles:

1. Ask for a CBT referral from the GP
2. Some exercise - yoga is excellent because you can pick an impact level that suits - you can try a DVD first
3. Try something like mindfulness meditation, or the very secular MBSR stuff by Jon Kabat-Zinn (again a CD to use at home was what I did)

These things could improve life generally too - they have for me, in a major way!

Paul

Last edited by PaulPhoenix; 01-03-2013 at 05:37 PM. Reason: More detail
01-03-2013, 05:42 PM   #6
Susan2

My Support Groups:
· Stoma
Hi Hannah.

As others have said, exercise is a really important factor in tackling depression. I know that it is hard to get yourself motivated, but the effects will reward you.

I wouldn't start with a really long walk. I would start by putting aside a manageable amount of specific time every day. To start with that might mean something like 5 minutes at 8.30am - whatever (and whenever) you feel that you can achieve. The important thing is to do it. And the exercise should be something easily managed - skipping one day, stepups another, short burst running another or any thing that you can do without expensive equipment - and only for 5 minutes until you are doing it regularly and almost automatically. Then perhaps add two of them together to get 10 minutes. And get a set of relatively light weights - whatever you can manage with a bit of effort.

I am no expert on this, but had a husband who suffered badly from depresssion and we started a regime like this and it was very helpful. If you can find someone to do it with you to begin with, that would be even better.
Currently on no medications, but under constant gaze of very caring GP, with annual blood and other tests.
01-03-2013, 06:15 PM   #7
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
I agree completely with what the others have said about exercise. I started working out lightly twice per week - my body responded positively so I started ramping up the frequency and intensity. I am hitting the gym 4 or 5 times per week nowadays and I always feel fabulous during and after exercise. Don't put it off - set aside some time, even if it's just a half hour a couple times a week, to work out. Depending on your specific issues/illness, you may have trouble with certain things (personally I cannot jog due to hip arthritis as it just hurts way too much and hurts for days afterwards, and I have really bad GERD so I can't do much abdominal exercises or I get really vurpy and nauseous, but I can lift weights and I can ride the bike and do yoga so I don't feel too limited). Try a few different types of exercise and see what works for you and what you enjoy. I always used to hate exercise, but now when I work out I feel like a normal healthy person and I just feel great, so I've come to crave exercise! No matter what kind of day I'm having, if I can hit the gym, I end up feeling better. It works for me like nothing else has. I highly recommend it.

Oh, and I would like to add, if you do start working out, do NOT get discouraged if you don't see results quickly! I seem to put on muscle very slowly, and I had lost a lot of muscle due to being ill & being on steroids before I started working out, so it took me a good 6 months at least before I started noticing any difference in how my body looked - I had to regain the lost muscle before I could actually add muscle. It's been over a year and a half now that I've been working out and I'm finally starting to look like someone who works out, ha ha. But I felt a difference inside right away and I've kept up with it regardless of what the exterior looks like.
01-03-2013, 06:23 PM   #8
sawdust

My Support Groups:
I'm not always good at it, but I try to really immerse myself in something with a good benefit, like making something for someone, giving back, or putting your efforts into something where you have a tangible asset in the end. Don't get me wrong, just deciding to do it and getting motivated is HARD. I usually try to do something new and sometimes it sticks and sometimes it falls flat.

I always start really not wanting to do it, and eventually start looking forward to it over time. It's how I found out that I like woodworking and canning. And that there isn't enough wood in the world to cut, split, and stack to make me happy. And then, it feels so good to give someone something you made, stand back from a cupboard full of the fruits of your own labor, or reach that grand goal, whatever it was.
01-03-2013, 06:26 PM   #9
Danico85

Hi Hanna

was just reading your post and was like "THATS ME". Im feeling the exact same at the moment. I used to always be the joker of the pack and the happy one etc. But now i feel like im the negative moaning one. Only recently ive started getting really anxious, so much so i felt like i was taking panic attacks when i was out my comfort zone. and thats just not me atall. My doctor has given me beta blockers for the anxiety and offered me behavioural therapy but can take months for me to get an appointment.

Ive never really been depressed before so i dont really know what it feels like but ive started to feel really down and fed up and feel like im hiding away more than i should. maybe i am depressed, and if i am i think talking to someone would really help. ive always been one of those people who just gets on with things but i think its time i should maybe bite my pride and just get some counciling. It cant do any harm. Most people ive spoken too say it does help. The anxiety attacks are the worst thing ever, if it helps me with that i will be delighted. i hate being so negative and reclusive as i have been lately.

I know its all connected with the IBD, because i have no depression in my family and have no history of it. im just fed up of this disease!

Anyway, just had to let off a bit of steam and i hope you start feeling better soon

Nicky
01-03-2013, 06:33 PM   #10
Susan2

My Support Groups:
· Stoma
Hi Nicky

If you are having bad anxiety attacks, I agree that it would help to see a counsellor. You need to find one that suits you, so ask around and don't worry if the first one you see doesn't suit. Just try again.
01-03-2013, 06:36 PM   #11
Danico85

Thanks Susan. I will definetly go and see someone before it gets any worse.

Nicky
01-04-2013, 08:30 AM   #12
Price
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Yeah just coming to reinforce the whole exercise thing, it's one of the few times I feel good! However you want to do it, try and increase the intensity each workout until you feel up to a point where you wouldn't want to run further/lift heavier/etc. I don't know if it's true for everyone but I feel better the more I've pushed myself. Obviously be careful with it all though!

Another thing that helps a bit is picking up something creative. I'd try and give you some science as to why but I don't really know why, it's just fun I guess. Unless you already know what you like it might take you a bit of time to find out just what is fun to you, but once you do it just gives you an extra thing to take your mind off things.

Seeing your doc will help a lot too, though. So you should do this regardless :P
01-04-2013, 12:36 PM   #13
hannah-rose
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Hey everyone thank you so much for all the replies

Susan and Cat, thanks for the advice about exercise. I'm rubbish at exercising, I'm quite slim so I never make it a priority because I don't need to lose any weight but I'm really unfit, and if exercise will help with my depression then I'd definitely give it a try.

Does anyone else practise mindfulness meditation? I've heard a lot about it and have always wanted to try it.

Hey Nicky, sorry to hear you're feeling down too. I notice you said that what you're experiencing isn't like you, I feel the same way too, I always used to think of myself as confident, happy and optimistic, which makes it harder to admit there's a problem. I've had episodes of anxiety before and it is horrible, I hope you can get some CBT to help and get on top of it. Can you pint point anything that started this episode for you? Counselling can be so useful, I've had a little bit in the past and it really made me feel better, the results were fantastic and I'd be on a high after every session, although I don't know about the lasting impact.

Hannah
01-04-2013, 01:05 PM   #14
Misty-Eyed
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
· Stoma
Counselling x100!!! Since I had my last lot of counselling I've been miles better mentally. Yes, I still have the odd bad days but that's life and I wouldn't be human if I didn't. I've had quite bad depression a few times but I've never needed to take any medication as counselling has always sorted it. They change the way you think about things and get to the root of problems.

I hope you feel happier soon

'You can't change the past but you can ruin the present by worrying about the future.'

Diagnosed with Crohn's colitis aged 9, 1992.

Panproctocolectomy and terminal end ileostomy October 2011.
01-05-2013, 08:06 AM   #15
acheallova
Forum Monitor

Hey Hannah,
Just wanted to stop in and let you know that " it's normal". I was energetic, excited and happy to just go to work or play with my kids, now it takes everything I've got to get up and moving. I have started some little routines which have helped immensely. It's finding your comfort zone. I started volunteering at my youngest' school, walking , walking my dog n husband more ( lol), chatting with friends I've met on here ( great support system means the world) and drawing again after many, many years. Other things can help too though, the exercise, " talking it out" whether with family/friends or counselor, chatting on here or speaking to your doc about supplements to help. Low vit B can cause this, there is also St. Johns Wart which is for depression, BUT talk to your doc first. I have seen some positive results with this. Here is relaxation techniques; as well as, meditation, massage, body talkers or acupuncture, which many do. Keep your head up!! Best of luck to ya. -hugs-
Clofazamine Divigel®
Rifampin Nystatin
Diflucan®
Zofran®
Percocet®
Valium®
Probiotics
Vitamin B complex
Vitamin D
Been on: Cipro® Vancomycin® Phenergan®(allergy)
Flagyl® Dilaudid® Biaxin®(allergy)
01-05-2013, 12:28 PM   #16
hannah-rose
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Hey Misty, I had some counselling before, it wasn't for depression it was another issue and I really loved it, bit of a weird thing to say perhaps but it helped me so much! It's such a shame it takes so long to get any on the nhs. I'd definitely go back and ask for another referral if I felt my emotions getting out of control.

Hi Angel, thanks for the advice, sorry to hear you've been through a similar thing. It's reassuring to realise that feeling down is something everyone suffers from at some point about 99% of my friends have had some sort've low period or problem like an eating disorder in their lives, makes us realise we're all human. I might mention my problems to my IBD nurse when I see her, I find it difficult to talk to her about these things sometimes because I feel like unless I'm ready to jump out of a window most doctors think it's insignificant.
01-05-2013, 03:04 PM   #17
Danico85

Hey everyone thank you so much for all the replies

Susan and Cat, thanks for the advice about exercise. I'm rubbish at exercising, I'm quite slim so I never make it a priority because I don't need to lose any weight but I'm really unfit, and if exercise will help with my depression then I'd definitely give it a try.

Does anyone else practise mindfulness meditation? I've heard a lot about it and have always wanted to try it.

Hey Nicky, sorry to hear you're feeling down too. I notice you said that what you're experiencing isn't like you, I feel the same way too, I always used to think of myself as confident, happy and optimistic, which makes it harder to admit there's a problem. I've had episodes of anxiety before and it is horrible, I hope you can get some CBT to help and get on top of it. Can you pint point anything that started this episode for you? Counselling can be so useful, I've had a little bit in the past and it really made me feel better, the results were fantastic and I'd be on a high after every session, although I don't know about the lasting impact.

Hannah
Hi Hannah

Well the anxiety has been lingering ever since i was diagnosed. It wasnt too bad at first because i didnt really understand the condition and how serious it was, i was sort of treating the IBD like it was some sort of infection that would go away in time so i wasnt too anxious.

Then i found myself starting to get a little aprehensive every time i went out because i was worried there wouldnt be any toilets at the places i was going, i found myself panicking incase i was caught short (which has never happened btw). So i believe my anxieties started from there and its just sort of grown. But it came to a head on xmas eve when i was in town shopping, the first shop i went into i had a near panic attack and had to leave the shop and i went into the shopping center and sat in the toilet with my head in my hands and was struggling to breath etc. I got an emergency appointment with my doctor and she gave me beta blockers. Ive had wee episodes before but nothing like what im getting now. Im even slightly pannicking before i go out to pubs with my friends now. even though i know there will be a toilet, its happening. So maybe this counciling malarky might not be a bad idea, although ive always been one of those people who never likes to admit theres a problem and try and sort things out myself. But if i dont get some sort of help im scared incase i end up in a loony bin haha.

Nicky
01-06-2013, 04:04 AM   #18
hannah-rose
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Hey Nicky,

My sister was diagnosed with Generalised Anxiety Disorder http://www.patient.co.uk/health/Anxi...y-Disorder.htm when she experienced really crippling anxiety and paranoia which gave her have panic attacks and made it difficult for her to leave the house in the mornings, she was put on an antidepressant which really helped and she's now been weaned off her medication and her symptoms have pretty much gone.

I think with anxiety unless it's tackled it will just get worse because panicking leads to more panicking and then panicking that you will panic etc. it's a viscous cycle, but it's so easy for it to happen. I would recommend asking for some CBT or counselling to nip it in the bud. I know I always used to be the person who was 'fine' when everyone else was struggling and it is hard admitting I have a problem but it's such a relief to be like, actually I need help, it means I don't feel I have to live up to this perfect steretype I've created for myself, and it takes the pressure off.

Hannah

Ps I'm sure you won't end up in the loony bin haha
01-08-2013, 06:00 AM   #19
Danico85

Hi Hanna

Thanks for your reply again. Your right in everything you are saying. I went back to work yesterday so im back in my usual routine and feel a wee bit better!

Still on the beta blockers for another 2 weeks, so when i come back off them al see how i get on. How do i go about CBT? will i get it on the NHS?

PS i think a loony bin would be a right good laugh

Nicky
01-12-2013, 03:32 PM   #20
wolfem

Hope you feel comfort soon. I have lots of mental problems and the way I deal with them is by exercising and going to group therapy (really helps). I also take fish oil and noticed a difference when I stop taking it. I'm sure everyone is different though.
Current meds: Sertraline, Seroquel, Lorazepam (as needed)

Supplements: Trace min EOD, Fish oil, calcium+D, B12 sublingual + B complex, goat yogurt

01-13-2013, 05:27 AM   #21
hannah-rose
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Glad to hear you're feeling better Nicky! Regarding CBT you just have to speak to your GP and tell him/her about your depression/anxiety and ask about counselling or CBT sessions, you'll probably have to wait up to 12 weeks but it's worth investigating because it could be helpful in the long run.

Hey wolfem, glad to hear you've found ways of dealing with your problems, can I ask did you read about omega 3 helping depression or was it recommended for you or have you just noticed a correlation between taking supplements and your mood?
01-13-2013, 10:45 PM   #22
Mary:)

My Support Groups:
Hope you feel comfort soon. I have lots of mental problems and the way I deal with them is by exercising and going to group therapy (really helps). I also take fish oil and noticed a difference when I stop taking it. I'm sure everyone is different though.
I totally agree with Wolfem group therapy and fish oil!!!

Fistula-2010

Humira-Every 2 weeks 40mg

Prednisone drives me nuts!!!!
01-14-2013, 03:39 PM   #23
Ya noy

Everyone is different, and what works for one, doesn't necessarily work for all.

I believe strongly in "mind over matter" but personally can not relate to therapy, because it all translates in my head as rhetoric, and all I hear is "word salad."

Depression can also be a result of a chemical imbalance--in which case the proper meds can make a world of difference, but I personally have had bad experiences with meds, and have developed such a strong mental aversion, that I won't even allow my dentist to give me novacaine to drill on my teeth, which isn't an absolute necessity because they rarely hit any nerves anyway.

I've found works well for me personally is strenuous aerobics, preferably accompanied by very loud pop music. Why pop music? Because there's only just so much room in my head, and I can't keep track of all the steps, while mentally singing along to the songs, AND think depressing thoughts, all at the same time. I spent the better part of yesterday learning various "Gangnam Style" dances, because one never know when one might get stuck in the middle of a flash mob, right?

For severe depression though, I ride "centuries" in team formation. Which is as mentally challenging as it is physically, and I absolutely cannot afford the luxury of allowing my mind to wander for a single second, because I have to concentrate on keeping track of traffic, the pace and exact locations of every other rider, or risk suffering the consequences of causing a serious, even fatal, accident. It's incredibly nerve wracking, and at the end of the 4-5 hours (depending on the terrain and ability of team members), my brain just shuts down. When it reboots, the thrill and relief of survival is usually good for a few weeks at least.

When I get depressed the reasons are no mystery that I need someone else to help me solve. I already know all the reasons. I'm perfectly aware that my depression usually stems from situations which I can not influence and are beyond my ability to control. I have the "serenity prayer" down pat, but that still doesn't prevent the feelings of being helpless/powerless, resulting (for me) in depression. So I force myself into situations where I not only have control, but also have no other choice other than to fully concentrate and engage, both physically and mentally. This blocks all negative thoughts, while achieving a sense of accomplishment or purpose, giving me back my power.

may you find your way as well.
01-14-2013, 10:01 PM   #24
wolfem

Glad to hear you're feeling better Nicky! Regarding CBT you just have to speak to your GP and tell him/her about your depression/anxiety and ask about counselling or CBT sessions, you'll probably have to wait up to 12 weeks but it's worth investigating because it could be helpful in the long run.

Hey wolfem, glad to hear you've found ways of dealing with your problems, can I ask did you read about omega 3 helping depression or was it recommended for you or have you just noticed a correlation between taking supplements and your mood?
Hannah-rose,

Some studies suggest that fish oil might help depression. I was taking it for arthritis and then noticed my mood would drop every time I went off of it. My aunt takes it for depression and it helps her too.
01-21-2013, 08:16 PM   #25
Flatblackdog

My Support Groups:
Hannah-Rose, I am so sorry to hear you are having a tough time. I came here this evening looking for some support and found it by giving some back. While everyone is different, I found a great deal of support in AA. I didn't have a drinking problem, but knew that if I stopped drinking, my IBS symptoms would be easier to tolerate. Well, AA did wonders for me as far as working through the stuff life throws at me. I got a sponsor and worked the steps and kept giving back. The best $1 a night therapy around and there is always a meeting somewhere anytime even online.

Wishing you well and good luck on your journey.
01-21-2013, 08:19 PM   #26
Hobbes650
Forum Monitor

Hey everyone,

I was wondering if anybody on this forum could offer any advice on self-help or natural remedies for low mood/minor depression.

I've been struggling with minor depression for a while now, it was a niggling problem when I was living at home in 2011, then when I moved to London in 2012 I thought things would improve except my depression got worse and I was really, really unhappy. I moved back home thinking this would make me feel better and it has, but it's becoming clear to me now that my low mood isn't situational, and it might just be something that I'm going to struggle with unless I find practical ways of dealing with it.

I'm not at any risk to myself and I'm still able to go to work and live a normal life so I'm not considering medication.

My main problems are:

feeling down and hopeless
anxiety
low confidence and fear
low self-esteem
feeling disappointed with life

I'd love to be able to leap out of bed in the mornings, full of the joys of life, and one of my 2013 new years resolutions is to take practical steps to achieving good mental health and happiness.

All tips appreciated

Hannah

Hi Hannah!

If you would like a good read on this I recommend Feeling Good by David Burns:

http://www.amazon.com/Feeling-Good-N...s=feeling+good

Ulcerative Colitis 1986
Complete Proctocolectomy with j-pouch 1987
Permanent Ileostomy 1991
Crohn's Disease (just inside stoma) 2012
No meds post 1987 surgery to 2012

Current Meds:
Pentasa 3000mg daily
Imuran (Azathioprine) 100mg daily
Folic Acid supplement: 1mg daily
Mulit Vitamin/Fish Oil or Flaxseed Oil daily
Tumeric and Boswelia occasionally.
01-23-2013, 10:16 PM   #27
rkoll327

Hannah I am sorry to hear you are going through this. I think that it is something most of us do go through though, so you are obviously not alone. I was diagnosed right when I got to college, and it affected me more than I cared to admit at the time, so I didn't do much about it. Now that I have graduated and got a job I figured it was time to address the problem. First off, like everyone has said, exercise can work wonders. I used to dread it, I hated exercising my whole life it was never my thing. Yoga changed my life. Not only did it help me get in shape and flexible, but it really helps to clear my mind and get me in a good place. The meditation part that goes along with it is something I am still struggling with, but what I have tried so far I have really liked. Second, music has really helped me, especially with the anxiety. They play ambient and ethnic music in yoga for a reason, because it can help to calm the mind. Classical can even do the trick. It always helps to calm me down when my nerves get the best of me. As far as the feeling down and disappointment goes, I just try to tell myself how much worse it could be. I try to make the most of everyday, and having that positive outlook has come from the exercise and music, eating healthy and finding stable hobbies. Now I just have to work on getting out of the house more. I am often afraid to do things because I am worried I may end up getting sick wherever I go. But I try to push myself at least a few times a week, to go somewhere and do something I don't want to do. I think, what's the worst that can happen? So I crap my pants in my car and have to go home. Life goes on. I figure once I can get past that, I am golden!
01-27-2013, 01:51 PM   #28
hannah-rose
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Hannah I am sorry to hear you are going through this. I think that it is something most of us do go through though, so you are obviously not alone. I was diagnosed right when I got to college, and it affected me more than I cared to admit at the time, so I didn't do much about it. Now that I have graduated and got a job I figured it was time to address the problem. First off, like everyone has said, exercise can work wonders. I used to dread it, I hated exercising my whole life it was never my thing. Yoga changed my life. Not only did it help me get in shape and flexible, but it really helps to clear my mind and get me in a good place. The meditation part that goes along with it is something I am still struggling with, but what I have tried so far I have really liked. Second, music has really helped me, especially with the anxiety. They play ambient and ethnic music in yoga for a reason, because it can help to calm the mind. Classical can even do the trick. It always helps to calm me down when my nerves get the best of me. As far as the feeling down and disappointment goes, I just try to tell myself how much worse it could be. I try to make the most of everyday, and having that positive outlook has come from the exercise and music, eating healthy and finding stable hobbies. Now I just have to work on getting out of the house more. I am often afraid to do things because I am worried I may end up getting sick wherever I go. But I try to push myself at least a few times a week, to go somewhere and do something I don't want to do. I think, what's the worst that can happen? So I crap my pants in my car and have to go home. Life goes on. I figure once I can get past that, I am golden!
I think you are an inspiration because you are clearly trying so hard not to let your problems get the better of you! It takes a lot of work to get on top of things when you're feeling bogged down but you sound like you're doing great
01-28-2013, 09:10 PM   #29
copeland

My Support Groups:
Hey, this sounds exactly like what I should be doing!
01-29-2013, 03:05 PM   #30
hannah-rose
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Me too copeland, it's really nice to see someone who shows that all of those things can be achieved, makes me feel positive!