• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Anyone had keyhole for ileostomy?

Hi, just joined tonight, my 15yr old Daughter is having her colon out and an ileostomy planned for Mon 7th Jan. Surgeon hopes to do keyhole. Was wondering if anyone could tel me how long the average hospital stay is? My older Daughter had it done 20 years ago with a full incision, so will be much different now. Both have crohns disease, but younger one has had very severe perianal disease. Very anxious about it all!

I would ask the surgeon and your daughter's medical team--they are the only ones who can give you the most relevant information to your daughter's situation. Good luck!

Hi Dalriada and :welcome:

I have an ileostomy, but it was not done by keyhole surgery - I was opened up fully.

I think that Misty-Eyed had her ileostomy done "through a keyhole" and she might be able to help you. She should see this "tag" and call in. :)

I did indeed see the tag! Thanks Susan!

I was in hospital for 6 days although it would of been quicker had I been able to pee the first time they took out my catheter! Having it via keyhole was brilliant because there's no massive scar to deal with. However it makes you forget what a massive op it is. I suffered with stomach pain for a good few weeks from where everything is healing on the inside.

Also, did they warn you about perianal healing after the op? as I had bad crohn's where my rectum was, I'm still having problems with healing around there. Just something to be aware of as I was never warned about it!!

I really hope she gets on ok tomorrow!! :)

Hi, thanks for replies, all went well, were able to operate by keyhole, op took 5hours though. heather will need further surgery to remove rectum at a later date. Looking forward to her not being tied to the toilet and getting back to school and being a teenager! Although we know it will be a huge adjustment with her stoma! Her Sister was 9 when she had her stoma, So she coped well, I realise being a teenager will probably be a harder journey! It,s a trade off isn,t it!

That's great! Having it done by keyhole should make the recovery easier although, as Michelle said, the inside bits still need time to heal. Perhaps having seen her sister cope with a stoma will make it a bit easier for Heather. Also, she might like to join the Teens Only club here, where she'll find others who are in the same boat and can give her support.