• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Does anyone only ever have symptoms in the morning??

As per title, does anyone only ever have symptoms in the morning? Especially first thing in the morning when you wake up? If so what have you been diagnosed with?

First thing in the morning most of the food is in the colon so I am guessing IBS,CROHNS, OR UC in the colon. I have had attacks in the morning before most happen then because your getting rid of the stool.

I have ulcerative colitis, more specifically pancolitis. Mornings are by far the worse for me.

Cramps start within 15 minutes of getting up. I'll have 2 or 3 bloody stools in the first two hours then it gets a little better. My pancolitis is in full force right now. Before it was this bad, I would still get the worse of it during the morning. Before I had daily bloody stools, I had the occasional one, but it was always in the morning if it ever happened.

I'd say I agree with Beatit. Whether it's Crohn's or UC your colon is in play. Have you had a colonoscopy?

In the mean time, if your situation is getting worse, there are treatment options. I'm allergic to 5-ASAs and am waiting on prep test results before I start remicade. Meanwhile, MMJ helps. I start with my first dose (I vaporize, 2 to 3 inhalations) when I get up and will have another dose every 2 to 3 hours. I've built a good tolerance to the psychoactive effects so no longer feel any euphoria or drowzyness. I remain pain free all day and it reduces my amount of stools during the day by about 50% as well as the cramps. I still work my 60h/week effectively.

I hope this helps you. Get better!

Yeh I had a colonoscopy and they said it was proctisis. I am on 30mg of pred a day at the moment. It's just my symptoms are really bad in the morning and only the morning. Awaiting biopsy results from the scope from 5th dec. just feel like they are treating it as UC when they don't know what it is yet. They said the test results can take upto 8 weeks!!!!

scottsma

I was diagnosed with proctitis 6yrs ago,and yes,mornings are definately the worst.If I have an early appointment or whatever,I make sure and get out of bed early so I have lots of time to "get sorted" I also have prescribed Loperomide,which is my security blanket,although I try not to use too many,and only one at a time as prescribed.If I'm in a flare,it's not safe to go too far from home.I use Asacol supps.as maintenance.If I stop for a few weeks,I flare.When taking the dog for his morning walk,he always hesitates,as if to say "now,are you SURE you're ready" he's had too many about turns.

Medical marijuana dispensaries. Without it I'd be in serious, serious pain right now. Is medical marijuana an option for you? I'm Canadian and we're technically still part of the Commonwealth and your queen is on our 20$ bills, so perhaps your country's stance on MM is not so different from mine?

I have Crohn's Colitis and have had some really horrible mornings. My colleagues at work often comment on my grey appearance and I just smile wanly and tell them "I usually perk up in an hour or two." The 6MP I'm taking now seems to be helping, but I'm not fully off the Pred from my last flare so it's hard to be certain. Anyway, it's likely you've already been investigating the effects of various foods, but i throw it out there just in case. I have a long list of things that I've learned make it worse. Good luck!

Sure, tons! I worked with a nutritionist last summer to get started. There's more info on this forum than you easily digest (haha) but its worth working through the nutrition sub forum. With the nutritionist we tried eliminating some things while doing a very low fiber plan. I can no longer tolerate raw veg or salads, but am fine with nuts. Etc. Anyway, they say diet can't cure what ails us, but there certainly things that make you feel worse. If you use a Smart phone, I downloaded a free app called GIBodyGuard from the App Store that has been quite helpful. Logs info on your food, water, meds, BMs, pain and other custom symptoms all in one place. I particularly liked the food log because you can add your own foods and it isn't fussy about measurements the way some "diet" logs are.

scottsma

I have Crohn's Colitis and have had some really horrible mornings. My colleagues at work often comment on my grey appearance and I just smile wanly and tell them "I usually perk up in an hour or two." The 6MP I'm taking now seems to be helping, but I'm not fully off the Pred from my last flare so it's hard to be certain. Anyway, it's likely you've already been investigating the effects of various foods, but i throw it out there just in case. I have a long list of things that I've learned make it worse. Good luck!
I agree.We're all different in every way,both in symptoms,lifestyle and medication.Some people can tolerate most things,others hardly anything.I hate feeling unwell,so I do my best to avoid stuff that makes me that way.But younger people might take the" live now and suffer the consequences later" attitude.Having said that,a "little of what I fancy"passes my lips frequently.:poo:

My UC started with only symptoms in the morning. This progressed to needing 2 hours in the bathroom in the morning before being able to do anything else. After a year, it was an all-day event.

How long have you been taking the prednisone? Give it some more time and I bet you will see improvement. If you only have proctitis at this point, suppositories may help you see improvement even sooner.

scottsma

I agree.Asacol suppositories have been working for me for a long time.I was first prescribed Asacol tablets,but they made me feel worse.The supps.cleared up all the nastiness I'd had for months,in about 2wks,and keep me in remission.I still have flares when I stop meds.(to see if I'm cured haha).Luckily,I don't seem to have deteriorated since I was diagnosed.

This is day 11 on pred. No symptom changes.... Tried supps and i couldn't do them. When u constantly feel like u want to goto the toilet, sticking something up there makes it worse! I tried for 5 days and they didn't work.

Got a last minute appointment with the GI nurse practitioner in 2 days. She said she will do extensive tests. More blood tests!!! Had 5 blood tests in the last 3 months! All normal! Not sure if there are more extensive blood tests they can do???

scottsma

This is day 11 on pred. No symptom changes.... Tried supps and i couldn't do them. When u constantly feel like u want to goto the toilet, sticking something up there makes it worse! I tried for 5 days and they didn't work.

Got a last minute appointment with the GI nurse practitioner in 2 days. She said she will do extensive tests. More blood tests!!! Had 5 blood tests in the last 3 months! All normal! Not sure if there are more extensive blood tests they can do???
with out going into T.M.I.have you tried using vaseline before inserting the supp.I also find if I can sit down for an hour or so afterwards,it starts to melt and gets to work.It's all trial and error.It's good that you're seeing the nurse soon,I hope things get better for you.It can be very stressful can't it.

with out going into T.M.I.have you tried using vaseline before inserting the supp.I also find if I can sit down for an hour or so afterwards,it starts to melt and gets to work.It's all trial and error.It's good that you're seeing the nurse soon,I hope things get better for you.It can be very stressful can't it.
Thanks for the info! I tried all different methods and it just made me want to goto the toilet more.

Anyway, does anyone know about the blood tests that they should do??

scottsma

Can't help you there,but please keep us updated after your appointment.If you've got questions,write them down before you go.Sometimes it all gets too much,and you forget stuff.