• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New to everything! Ahh

Hello everyone! My name is mahogany. (Yes, it's my real name lol) I am a junior at IUP, I'm 20 and was just diagnosed with Crohn's on December 14,2012. And I just found out about this forum today and I'm so glad it's here.

I started having issues keeping food down in about October and having pain on my right side so I thought it was my appendix. When the doctor at school checked for appendicitis and found nothing, I knew I was headed down a long road to find out what the problem was. After three months of doctors and losing 30 pounds, I finally was able to get into a GI doctor. I was scheduled for a colonoscopy and a scope of my stomach as well. Of course with a colonoscopy, you have to drink that rancid prep to clean your colon out.. Ew. I still have nightmares about it.

Anyway, right after I started the prep, I received a call from my doctor saying my insurance wasn't going to cover the procedures. ( why it took three months to figure this out, I will never know) so the doctor herself actually cancelled my operation. Meanwhile, I'm sitting in my apartment at school, during finals week taking a prep for a colonoscopy I was no longer scheduled for. Of course, this stressed me out and as you all know, stress and Crohn's don't exactly mix. After hours of crying to my mom on the phone, she decided she would drive two hours from home to my school the next morning (Dec 14) and see if we could talk to a doctor. The GI doctor told me she wouldn't do my procedure because she "didn't want to stick me with a bill if my insurance wouldn't cover it" and sent me on my way. (December 14, 7am) . So we went all the way home to Sharon Regional center which is two hours away from school. They took one look at me and rushed me to a room. I had lost another few pounds. I was down to 100. I must have had a guardian angel that day because their GI doctor came in and said "nobody should have to take that prep twice, we can get you in now". Dr. James Ezi-Ashi is his name and he is a life saver. Turns out I have severe Crohn's. I am currently taking 40mg of Predinistone, 40mg of Omerpazole and an iron supplement for my anemia. The doctor is planning on starting my Humira soon which I am pretty anxious about especially because I will be going back to school this month once Christmas break is over and I'm not sure how I will be able to manage keeping up with a doctor who is two hours away. I wonder if I should risk finding one closer? And if that would even be possible??

Hope I didn't bore you with my story! It's just so nice to talk to people who know what I'm dealing with!

I'm also new here but unfortunately not new to crohns I've had for about 6-7 yrs and its been a constant battle my best advice to u is try n stay positive about the disease I kno with me I even mk jokes about but that's how my personality is. And don't let it slow u down just fight it even if its hard

I simply can't imagine not having coverage and being turned away because I can't pay. Health care is a right in my opinion and living in Canada I don't ever spend time worrying about whether or not something will be covered. I can't even wrap my mind around it. I don't understand why there is still resistance to healthcare in the U.S. It boggles the mind.

I just don't see how something this serious was turned down by my insurance company. I would have rather been stuck with a bill and just dealt with it. Oddly enough, my insurance covered the procedure in Sharon? Hm, so who knows.

I have to say Aetna has been the cheapest and best health insurance company around for me. I wish you luck in college my senior year was the worst for me. I know your body becomes stronger in time its a on going chess game with crohns and most times all you can do is counter while getting stronger. Weight loss is normal as your body needs healing.

Hello! Well, I am glad that you were ale to get the procedure done after all...and while I M sorry you have Crohn's Disease, at least you have answers.

It might not be necessary to find a closer doctor, especially if you like the doc you have close to home. Hopefully the Humira will work for you and you will not need to see him all that often. Having a doctor you like and trust is very important.

Good luck!

Welcome to the forum Mahogany (love your name). Sorry you have had to go through such a hard time with not only being sick, but having to deal with jerk doctors. Happy to hear you finally found a doctor who is treating you and even though it is not the best diagnosis, you know what is going on. I am glad you came to the forum. I have learned so much here. I am sure you will too. Lots of great people on here. :rosette1:

nativesith

GTA ModLeader Psx-Scene
I kinda understand where you are coming from. Until recently, I ave experienced bad doctors( and nurses). Seems like a long road for all who ave this. I had scope/colonoscopy on 12/27 and must wait 3 weeks for the results. Still feelin the effects of Crohn's, hopefully my diagnosis is sooner then expected. I wish nothing but the best for you and know you ave my support.:)
I prey to the creator for some relief for our suffering.