• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

To port or not to port?

Hello everyone, I have been getting Remicade infusions for a year now. I have always had terrible trouble with my veins blowing during infusions and blood work and IV's. Recently my nurses at the hospital infusion center told me I am a candidate for a port. Has anyone here had experiences with a port? What is it like to have one? Is is bothersome and does it hurt? Also, I'm concerned how I will look in a strapless dress since I need to wear gowns frequently for my work.
Any advice or input will be greatly appreciated!

I also am on Remicade and have terrible Venous access, 2 months ago I had a Power Port implanted. At first I hated it....just did not feel natural and I was actually scared to have it used. After they used it for the first time I felt so much better. I was in the hospital for 7 days and then I was really glad for the Port...no more IVs blowing. They did everything via my port and I can honestly say that I am very grateful for it now,.

I've had a port for a year now. You should have no problems where strapless dresses. You'll have a small scar where they insert the port and your skin might be a little raised. I'm about 20 pounds under weight so my port is pretty visible. When it was put in it was really sore for a few days, I wasn't really able to use my right arm, but a few mild pain killers worked fine. The pain seemed to linger for a few weeks but now I don't even notice it. I use mine all the time and have to needle in on my own. My suggestion is to grab some emla cream. Its a numbing cream and apply it on the port about 45 minutes before you need to have it accessed.