Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » B12, iron, calcium, phosphate and Vitamin D

01-07-2013, 06:18 PM   #1
leithcote
Forum Monitor

B12, iron, calcium, phosphate and Vitamin D

I had a ileocolic resection in February this year and so far so good(!). I have also recently stopped taking Mercaptopurine and am starting to feel a whole lot more myself.

The resection has had a direct impact on my adsorption of several minerals and vitamins however.

A) I can no longer adsorb vitamin B12 and have to now have 3 monthly injections.
B) My iron stores are very low - and I am having to take ferric fumerate tablets 3 times a day. Which is a royal pain in the you-know-what.
C) My vitamin D levels are below the detection threshold - and I am now taking a Calcium/Vit D drink every morning - also quite yucky - sickly sweet citrus flavour!

Anyone else in the same boat? Recommendations, ideas?
I'm thinking of taking my consultant up on his offer of an iron infusion (IV) - has anyone else done this? Did it work - how long for? All thoughts useful!!

Many thanks. Tony.

HD

Tony

Crohn's - predominantly in the terminal ileum - diagnosed Oct 2010
Ileocolic resection - February 2012
Current Meds - Pentasa granules, 2 g sachet daily.
3 monthly B12 injection. Iron and Vitamin D supplements daily.
01-07-2013, 09:55 PM   #2
Jennifer
Adminstrator

Here's a thread on iron infusions (you can find more if you use the search option on the upper left of the forum) http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=36845. Astra are you still getting them done and has it been working?

I get my B12 shot every other month yet might go back to once a month. My numbers were in the low 300s and with the shot they go well over 1,000. Tablets didn't work for me after my resection yet I've only had part of my TI removed.

How much D3 is in the drink you've been having? Mine was fairly low but I doubt that low and I started taking 5,000IU of liquid D3 a day (just use the dropper and put 5 drops in a liquid) and 1,000IU in a multivitamin. My numbers went up to the normal range in less than a month.
Things I take: Tenormin 25mg (PVCs and Tachycardia), Junel, Tylenol 3, Omeprazole 20mg 2/day, Klonopin 1mg 2/day (anxiety), Restoril 15mg (insomnia), Claritin 20mg
Currently in: REMISSION Thought it was a flare but it's just scar tissue from my resection. Dealing with a stricture. Remission from my resection, 17 years and counting.
01-07-2013, 10:14 PM   #3
starsandbucks

My terminal ileum was removed during my right hemicolectomy and I have low numbers as well, though my iron is fine. When I first started getting B12 shots (I now have pernicious anemia) I had to go in once a week but now I'm down to once a month. I hate them because for me they tend to ache and the drive all the way to the office for a 1 minute appointment - so annoying! My vitamin D is also extremely low and I have to admit that I don't do a good job in taking my daily supplements. Good luck!

Anyone here allowed to do their own B12 injections at home? My healthcare provider doesn't allow it and they're such a hassle that I'm always tempted to skip.
01-07-2013, 11:33 PM   #4
Jennifer
Adminstrator

Here's an old thread that talks about people doing B12 injections at home starsandbucks:http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=19524 My insurance doesn't allow it. Seems like all you need is a prescription. You could have your GP write one up or GI if your insurance allows it.
01-08-2013, 12:20 AM   #5
starsandbucks

Thank you, Crabby! Sorry for hijacking the thread!!
01-08-2013, 01:13 AM   #6
heatherb

My Support Groups:
I know in the UK there's something called Adcal D3 for vitamin D - they're a one a day chewable tablet. Sort of fruity. My mum takes them. Might be available where you are?
01-08-2013, 03:52 AM   #7
leithcote
Forum Monitor

Hi - Manu thanks for all the comments. I've tried the Adcal D3 tablets and really didn't like them, so stuffed full of sugar (obviously to disguise the taste!), so I'm now taking the dissolvable version which is marginally better. My doc's also given me some straight forward tablets which I think I might switch to shortly.

I'll have a look at the thread about iron infusions - many thanks!

My bloods have just shown my B12 levels are now so high, I don't have to have another injection for 6 months - oops!

Tony.
01-08-2013, 04:12 AM   #8
heatherb

My Support Groups:
It's good your B12 is back up though - don't have to worry for a while!

OK I didn't realise they were full of sugar, she started taking them whilst I was over in New Zealand. Yeah I'm sure when I worked at the pharmacy there were just generic brand Vit D3 tablets.

I had an iron infusion on New Years Eve - whilst I'm still tired I do feel better for it. My iron was really low, but not due to surgery or anything. They're still digging around to find out what's wrong with me!

Heather
01-08-2013, 03:09 PM   #9
Astra

My Support Groups:
No Crabby, not had another since, my bloods have always come back ok since then xx

Joan

Dx Crohn's in TI 2005 symptoms for 15 years prior

BEEN ON -Azathioprine, 6MP, Prednisolone, Pentasa, Budesonide, Metronidazole, Humira, Methotrexate,

NOW ON -Amitriptyline 25mg
21/02/14 Right hemicolectomy surgery

http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.p...4208290&ref=ts

No-one should make you feel inferior without your consent!

01-08-2013, 04:15 PM   #10
leithcote
Forum Monitor

Astra/Crabby - that's what I hoping the infusion will do for me too - get me up and above a magic threshold so that even my poor absorption is good enough. Many thanks Tx.
01-08-2013, 04:19 PM   #11
Astra

My Support Groups:
Good luck Tony, go for it! xx
01-08-2013, 11:11 PM   #12
tots

My Support Groups:
What were your iron levels?

Mine was 18 and I was put on 50,000 a day .

Lauren

Diagnosed= 1992 and again Feb 2012 Confirmed with
CT enterography May 2015 !!

Waiting for the ok from my Ins company to restart Remicade. Will also start Imuron to get into remission!
I know it's out there somewhere and I WILL find it!

:

Ok, my family Dr told me to cut down on the stress- a husband, 3 kids, and 3 dogs!

Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » B12, iron, calcium, phosphate and Vitamin D