Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Oral Vs IV steroids

11-14-2008, 06:23 PM   #1
jed

oral Vs IV steroids

does any one know the comparison rate between oral V's IV steroids?

at my peak, i was on 60mg oral pred per day, and in hospital my peak was 4x150ml (600ml) perday of IV steroids.

obviously 600ml isnt = to 60mg.

does anyone know what 1mg oral is = to with IV?

Current meds - Methotrexate, the rest werent doing anything.
Current state - hopeing poop softener, honey and cinnamon tea make me poop like a crohnie again..

my story - http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=3093
11-15-2008, 04:19 PM   #2
CookieCat

Actually Jed, if I remember rightly 60mg Oral Pred is roughly equivalent to 600mlls IV but..... the IV is absorbed by your body much more readily, so it equates to more in real terms.

Might be totally off the mark here, but I think that's what I've been told in the past...

"That's the way the cookie crumbles...."
11-16-2008, 02:07 AM   #3
drew_wymore

All I saw was Oral and Jed as the poster and wanted to comment that I much prefer it to IV =p
11-16-2008, 05:40 AM   #4
jed

i was originally going to ask why, then i read your reply 5 more times, finally understood it

and have come to the conclusion that your reply is

GOLD
11-16-2008, 08:34 AM   #5
My Butt Hurts
Squeals-a-lot!

I only had to read it once, jed.
It IS Drew after all, how could he have meant it any other way??
11-16-2008, 03:22 PM   #6
drew_wymore

jed said:
i was originally going to ask why, then i read your reply 5 more times, finally understood it

and have come to the conclusion that your reply is

GOLD
<3
11-17-2008, 03:40 AM   #7
BWS1982

oral ran through me no differently than all my food at my worst, so the IV was immensely more powerful in my case, back in Jan of this year. I had Solumedrol as my IV steroid, and they dropped me to 40mg leaving the hospital, but they never told me my dosage of the IV, and I guess I never asked. My mom should know though, technically.

-diagnosed with Crohn's Disease in Sept. 2006, currently 28 years old

"Chuck Norris can kill two stones with one bird."

"Men with Spartan lives, simple in their creature comforts, if only to allow for the complexity of their passions." -The X-Files, S4
11-19-2008, 01:36 AM   #8
soupdragon69
ele mental leprechaun

Jed it depends on the type of IV steroid used...

There is one called methyprednisolone which is very high strength in very small doses i.e. 1g/1000mg in 2ml volume which I would give patients in intensive care. This particular one comes in anything from 125mg up to 1g.

Then there is hydrocortisone which is steroid also and it comes in 100mg (powder that is made up) in 2mls volume and it can be given then in incriments of 25mg upwards as needed. This is usually the iv given to us in hospital when we flare be it asthma, crohns etc etc... I know last summer I was on it for 2wks, 100mg, 3 times a day IV then was dropped down to 40mg tablets of pred with my crohns flare.

IV is used so it impacts systemically within minutes in crisis events like asthma attacks to reduce inflammation fast and allow improvement in airways and breathing. Have been on the receiving end of this one (Oct 07) and its amazing how fast it works during an asthma attack.

On the Crohns front it works faster because of the circulation time in the bloodstream impacting within minutes but takes time to filter through to the mucosa and reduce the inflammatory effect.

Research CORTICOSTEROIDS and you will find all the different types.

I have managed to find in my drug formulary book an equivilent of some of them and you can see there is no real "equivilent" in relation to dose - if that makes sense....

Prednisolone 5mg =

Betamethasone 750 Micrograms =

Cortisone Acetate 25mg =

Deflazacort 6mg =

Dexamethasone 750 Micrograms =

Hydrocortisone 20mg =

Methylprednisolone 4mg =

Triamcinolone 4mg

That info is a year old so it is pretty accurate and is taken from the British National Drug Formulary (BNF) Edition 54 page 376. So if you were on 100mg IV for instance of Hydrocortisone it would equate to 25mg pred orally... (math is a bit slow at the minute have been up half the night with pain sorry!) then take into account the aspect of starting to wean also when they convert you from IV to oral. Sometimes they will tend to go by body weight also so that you get roughly 1mg/kg for treatment of acute episode minimum.

Hope what I have posted makes sense Jed...

IF YOU DON'T JUMP YOU WONT EVER LEARN TO FLY

Brittle asthma 1996, Hypothyroidism 1998, Severe Crohns ileitis 2006 , Severe IBS 2007, Inflammatory/Rheumatoid Arthritis 2008, Sebhorreic Eczema and Folliculitis 1992, Roseca, steroid induced acne and Hidradenitis Suppurativa 2008, Multiple allergies and food intolerances diagnosed from 2003. Newly diagnosed fibromyalgia Dec 2009. Newly diagnosed calcific tendonitis Jan 2010. Chronic Pain diagnosed Dec 2010.

Last edited by soupdragon69; 11-19-2008 at 02:31 AM.
11-19-2008, 02:33 AM   #9
BWS1982

Hey Jan, does Solumedrol have another name?
11-19-2008, 02:37 AM   #10
soupdragon69
ele mental leprechaun

Benson the other name for Solumedrol is Methyprednisolone.....

Solumedrol is the brand name

Methylprednisolone is the generic

That help??

Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Oral Vs IV steroids