Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Proctocolectomy

01-08-2013, 07:11 PM   #1
Andrew k

Proctocolectomy

Hi. As I have mentioned in another post, but have a particular question. I had the proctocolectomy on the 14th December 2012. Im struggling a bit with soreness and general pain down there. I was under the impression they would just sew the bottom hole up. However I have been sewn up the entire crack (sry) and the stiches are still very much there. I phone the surjeons secutary and she said they are dissolvable. How long will they take to go. Anyone have this

Previous meds; pentasa, prednisone, azerthioperine, infiximab, humeria. Steroid infusions. Macaptupurine
01-08-2013, 07:25 PM   #2
KazT17

Hi Andrew. I had my stitches taken out at 3 weeks post op. it was excruciating! It took a while for the pain to subside after they were removed. But eventually my scar disappeared into the crack (sorry) lol. You can't tell now except of course something is missing ! My op was April last year. Why don't you ask your stoma nurse to have a look? Sometimes they can help with the dissolvable stitches - give them a helping hand. I had some after another surgery and the nurse removed some bits that were causing irritation xx

Crohn's diagnosed 2010
Ileostomy 2011.
Completion Proctectomy 2012
01-08-2013, 07:52 PM   #3
Andrew k

Ok thanks. I'll give them a ring
01-08-2013, 07:52 PM   #4
Susan2

My Support Groups:
Hi Andrew. Just to say I'm thinking of you as my situation was very different from yours.

(My stitches burst open within a day or so and they decided to remove them all and leave the wound to fill in from the inside.)
Currently on no medications, but under constant gaze of very caring GP, with annual blood and other tests.
01-09-2013, 03:41 AM   #5
Andrew k

Hi Andrew. Just to say I'm thinking of you as my situation was very different from yours.

(My stitches burst open within a day or so and they decided to remove them all and leave the wound to fill in from the inside.)
Ouch. Sounds painful
01-10-2013, 01:17 PM   #6
Andrew k

Had hospital today. Turns out the stitches should of came out over a week ago but no one thought to tell me! Hurt like hell to come out as they were rather embedded. But out now. Just wish my stomach didnt hurt so much.
01-10-2013, 05:36 PM   #7
KazT17

Ouch I remember that pain. You will feel so much better in a couple of days, good job you got in touch with them !! Your stomach will be sore for a while I'm afraid. But it is normal and will improve with time xx
01-11-2013, 08:10 AM   #8
Andrew k

Hi thanks. Certainty was lucky otherwise id have them in for god knows how long lol. My stomach as a whole isn't to bad. Just seems to be one particular spot just down and to the right of my belly button. I wad had open surgery so scar from breast bone down to low pelvis
01-16-2013, 05:38 PM   #9
KazT17

Hi Andrew, how are you doing? Hope you are feeling better xxx
01-17-2013, 05:57 AM   #10
Andrew k

Hi, not to bad ty. Just one particular spot of pain in the tummy still as mentioned above. That's still no better! Just bad as I move above. Especially when I tense stomach muscles or bend. Hopefully will go in time, as its rather painful still. Thought may have gone by now.
01-17-2013, 06:33 PM   #11
CheerBear12
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Oh dear it all sounds awful hope you get better soon I've got my proctectomy may 2nd. Hope it goes away soon.
01-17-2013, 06:47 PM   #12
Andrew k

Thanks. The proctectomy was rather painful/uncomfortable afterwards. But much better once stitches wee removed. Good luck let me know how you get on
01-17-2013, 06:56 PM   #13
CheerBear12
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Will do thanks just rest rest rest. Wishing you a speedy recovery
01-17-2013, 07:26 PM   #14
Andrew k

Only rest for a few more days. Hoping to go back to work next week
01-18-2013, 02:18 AM   #15
KazT17

Glad to hear you are thinking about work so soon, that is amazing. Hope the pain resolves itself quickly. Take care and don't over do it xx
01-18-2013, 03:52 AM   #16
CheerBear12
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Take it easy and don't over do it. Hope the pain goes soon.
01-23-2013, 11:04 AM   #17
JennaRae
Forum Monitor

Andrew so glad to hear your feeling better! I had mine done 3 1/2 months ago and never thought I would heal. Rear end still hasn't healed completely but I feel so much better than before!
Tried Asacol, Pentasa, Imuran and all the other usual suspects!
Gallbladder removed
Total proctocolectomy w/ perm ileostomy 10/2012
01-23-2013, 01:29 PM   #18
Andrew k

Hi. Feeling a lot better now. Stomach hurts a bit still but in tramadol for it. My bottom end doesn't really hurt anymore. Goes numb when I sit a lot quicker than it used to. Slight bit of blood still. My main problem now is my back. They gave me a epidural and it failed. Now my back is very painful at the epidural site. Just got some pain killers for it ad tramadol doesn't work. How you feeling now? Much better? I'm a month and a half post op now. Finally getting there
01-23-2013, 01:35 PM   #19
JennaRae
Forum Monitor

I feel great except my rear end is still open. Going to have it cauterized next Wednesday. Ahh!
I've had a couple of small blockages, you live and learn what your body will and will not digest. When they tell you to chew the crud out of your food they're not lying! Lol

I'm sorry your still having some pain. Is the stomach pain surgery related or disease related? What are they going to do for you for your back pain?
01-23-2013, 02:43 PM   #20
CheerBear12
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Hugs to you both hope you both feel better soon let me know how you both get on. What does cauterised mean? Sorry to ask sounds terrible
01-23-2013, 03:24 PM   #21
Andrew k

Hi. The pain is from the surgery. I did however have a small blockage today after eating a baked potato. So no more of them for me lol. I hope the Cauteriseation works for you. As far as my back, I have just startrd a pain killer for damaged nerves. So wait and see if it works really
01-23-2013, 04:23 PM   #22
Susan2

My Support Groups:
Hi. The pain is from the surgery. I did however have a small blockage today after eating a baked potato. So no more of them for me lol. I hope the Cauteriseation works for you. As far as my back, I have just startrd a pain killer for damaged nerves. So wait and see if it works really
Did you eat the skin? That's really tough and difficult to digest. I love baked potatoes, but only the insides.
01-23-2013, 06:02 PM   #23
JennaRae
Forum Monitor

What does cauterised mean? Sorry to ask sounds terrible
No problem!!! It means they are basically going to burn the two open ends together to close it. But it's more of a chemical burn, not like a hot poker lol.
They say it doesn't hurt, we'll see! And think you CheerBear!
01-23-2013, 06:03 PM   #24
JennaRae
Forum Monitor

Andrew, I hope the pain meds work, I hope even more that they can fix the nerve pain for good! Did they say this surgical pain is normal and will go away with time?
01-23-2013, 06:07 PM   #25
KazT17

It doesn't hurt to be cauterised, smells of burning flesh though lol xxx
01-23-2013, 06:08 PM   #26
JennaRae
Forum Monitor

That's good to know Kaz. The smell I can handle, I was worried about the pain. Butt pain is worse than any other pain I think lol
01-23-2013, 06:34 PM   #27
CheerBear12
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Oh doesn't sound nice :-( big hugs I hope they don't do that to me lol
01-23-2013, 07:09 PM   #28
JennaRae
Forum Monitor

Oh doesn't sound nice :-( big hugs I hope they don't do that to me lol
Well I just didn't heal quick enough and instead of walking around with an open end ao to say, they're doing this. It's an in office procedure so I'm sure it'll be cake!
01-23-2013, 07:52 PM   #29
KazT17

Sorry to hear you have not healed yet JennaRae, you will get there. I think it's best decision I made getting rid of all the problems I had. Let us know how you get on xxx
01-23-2013, 08:00 PM   #30
JennaRae
Forum Monitor

Thank you KazT! I definitely will!

Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Proctocolectomy