• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

How to get a child to swallow a pill camera?

Ok you all whose kids have done this how did you get them to swallow it I heard they are really big and hard to swallow.

my little penguin

Staff member
We were told if they can swallow pentasa or asacol
- no issues - it would be the same size.
If she can't swallow it there is always placement .
Hugs

I was wondering that too? I have heard from several people that had the pill camera that it is huge the size of a small egg. My Dad had it and he had a lot of trouble getting it down.

hi everyone, my son Kian had the camera capsule when he had his endoscopy and colonoscopy done, what they did was while he was under general anaesthetic they put it in, so was no stress at all. i must admit it was a big capsule and we had to make sure it came out the other end a few days later.My son had never swallowed a pill yet at all so he would definately never have been able to swallow the capsule. xx

ha! We tried a patency capsule, there was no way he was getting it down, but still wasn't a great pill taker and is good now. I am not sure I could do it, it's pretty large, like grape size. The GI inserted the patency capsule when under anesthesia during his endoscopy/colonoscopy and we walked and walked after and lots of fluids and food after, but it didn't pass in the 24 hour timeframe (did in 48 hours) so it was totally inconclusive for us. Even the xray wasn't clear if it was stuck or dissolving or what. We ended up going MRI route. For regular pills, what finally did the trick was practicing with mini m&ms for like a month and using warmish water in a small medicine/dosing cup (like comes with liquid tylenol).