Ibd and potty training

Hi everyone
Lucy is nearly 4 in a few months
And is still in nappies
We have tried to potty train
But because of her bowel habits
Where finding it really hard.
She has to go to nursery in nappies
Where all the other kids are using toilet.
How did you all potty train your kids
With ibd? Any advise or tips
Would be so great.
01-11-2013, 03:37 PM   #2
Devynnsmom
Forum Monitor

I have no advice to give Devynn was diagnosed at 8 years old, but her symptoms and problems started when she was about 18 mos. She was THE easiest child ever to potty train. The truth is, I had the potty out from about a year old and she would sit on it, play with it, sit on it to colour etc. Then one day she got up in the morning, took her diaper off and sat down and went pee. That was it. She was 21 mos old. I kept her in diapers at night for another 6 mos or so. But she was fully day trained almost immediately. She had a few accidents here and there. Good luck!

Devynn (12 years old) was *unoficially* diagnosed with Crohn's disease in Dec 2009.
That diagnosis was changed to Ulcerative Colitis in Mar 2012.
Pentasa ASA Dec 2009-Mar 2012 (dosage tweaked a couple of times)
Mezavant Mar 2012- Nov 2012
Sulfasalazine-Nov 2012
01-11-2013, 04:10 PM   #3
Stephyjane

My Support Groups:
Hi, I read your story and I am not surprised you are finding it so hard to potty train your daughter. It's hard enough when you are not having to deal with 10 nappies with diarrhoea!
Is there any way you can gauge when she needs to go and sit her on the toilet. Or perhaps just get into a routine of sitting her on at certain times of the day, take a book and wait to see if she can go. Sorry if this sounds like really obvious stuff that you already do.
My daughter who is now 10 was really hard to potty train and had to have the feel of accidents a few times until she would sit on the potty, but then we weren't dealing with chronic diarrhoea.
Perhaps when her diagnosis is known and a treatment plan is helping her with her bowel movements and pain it'll happen.
Don't worry about other children not bring in nappies, your little girl is going through so much and will get there in the end.
01-11-2013, 04:27 PM   #4
Devynnsmom
Forum Monitor

I agree with Stephyjane, don't worry about other kids. She is going through a lot. Devynn's accidents were almost always diarrheah, and she would USUALLY be constipated when she actually tried to poop on the potty or toilet. (((hugs)))
01-11-2013, 09:08 PM   #5
izzi'smom

My Support Groups:
How rough for you!
We actually considered putting Izz BACK in pull ups after disgnosis (potty trained at 2, diagnosed just after turning 4) because she had SO many accidents...she RARELY made it to the toilet. Personally I didn't because she had already trained and she is sensitive emotionally, but if she had been diagnosed while still in dipes I would have waited. Or maybe trained her to pee but left a diaper on her anyway...diarrhea is so unpredictible. (((HUGS))), mama!
Angie, mom to Izzi,10 Crohn's Colitis 1/11 prednisone, entyvio since 2015 Tried: Tacrolimus, Bactrim, simponi, Levsin, Prevacid, Prednisilone, Humira, Remicade, EN via ng, vancomycin, Pentasa, carafate, Sulfasalazine, Cortifoam enemas, dietary changes, fish oil, VSL#3.
01-12-2013, 03:38 AM   #6
Mylittlesunshine

My Support Groups:
Thanks everyone it is really differ cult
As diarrhea is so unpredictable
You never know when it will happen.
She will go for wee wee
But poopy I can't seem to get her to go
I'm not sure if she even knows.
She will even go at night tox
01-12-2013, 11:04 AM   #7
Devynnsmom
Forum Monitor

Mylittlesunshine, Devynn is 11 and still has the occasional, thought it was gas and ended up pooping her pants. It is incredibly embarassing for her. She carries extra undies in her back pack and I always have a pair in a sandwich bag in my purse or if we go somewhere for the day we carry a pair in a back pack. I can't imagine how hard it must be for them. A few years ago I was out shopping with my kids and I thought I had gas. OMG I pooped in my pants a bit. I was mortified. I had NO clue when I tried to pass gas that THAT would happen. I got to the mall washroom as fast as possible and had to throw out my underwear! I think that at that moment I really started to *get* how it must feel to be Devynn. She would swear when ever that happened that she had no idea. My older kids would ask, how could you NOT know. But she just can't sometimes.
Once things calm down for Lucy, things will get easier and she will be in undies in no time. (((((hugs))))) for both of you.
01-12-2013, 04:03 PM   #8
DustyKat
Super Moderator

I have not had to deal with this and my heart goes out to you Mls...

I have been sitting her thinking about what I would do under the circumstances and I think the main thing for me would be to follow her lead. If she has no issues with being in pull ups then I would stick with that and at some point she will make the decision that she no longer wishes to wear them.
She obviously has no problem understanding the concept of being continent and doing what her body tells her with urine but with her bowel problems she is getting mixed messages so it is little wonder she doesn't know what to do, bless her.

Hopefully at some point soon her bowel problems will be sorted and no doubt at that point she will quickly lose the desire to wear them.

Dusty. xxx
01-12-2013, 08:02 PM   #9
Susan2

My Support Groups:
Even many adults with Crohn's have difficulty in anticipating a bowel movement. My understanding is that the nerves can sustain damage so that the message does not get through to the brain or doesn't get through correctly. (Sometimes called "Passive soiling" - not a very useful term, I think)

This is different from not having bowel control because of having muscular control problems. (Often called "Urge bowel incontinence")

Whether, in children with Crohn's, it takes longer for the brain to learn to decipher the message from the rectal nerves is an interesting question.
Currently on no medications, but under constant gaze of very caring GP, with annual blood and other tests.
01-12-2013, 08:10 PM   #10
NMMom

I'm so sorry! That is hard and adds another element to the IBD. I know with Ellie we have had to go back to pull ups at times when she's having a really bad flare and she's 5! The one thing we do, though, is call them 'tummy ache undies' and NOT pull ups because she would never put them on if we did. The store brand is actually very thin and she doesn't seem bothered when she has to wear them. Granted we've only had to do this a few times but just a thought you might try?

Good luck, I'll be thinking about you guys!
01-13-2013, 09:54 AM   #11
QueenGothel

I have a 5 year old wearing pull ups bc she had her colon remove and has accidents, well not really accidents more like skid marks from not getting there fast enough. I also have 2 almost 3 year old whom refuses to potty train bc she thinks the toilet gives you UC or that possibly there is a monster in the toilet hurting you butt. That being said it is very traumatic for her. We seem to yield good results with having her a separate potty chair rather than the big monster toilet. As odd as this sounds we leave her run around with no diaper on and keep the potty seat in the room she is playing in so we can catch it right away. Granted I have no rugs or carpets and my whole house is hardwood floors so it makes accidents easier to clean up. She also doesn't have diarrhea so this makes it a bit easier.

She will train when she is ready, I would work on it as much as you can without making it traumatic for her. It is not like she is going to go to college in her pull up eventually she will get to the point that she wants to use the potty.

Have you tried letting her pick out panties with her favorite characters on it, they do make a pad for accidents call B-Sure that are for catching very loose stools. I think... Recommended by the jpouch.org all jpouchers have diarrhea so that might be another place to get some good advice.

There has got to be a way to thicken up her stools so she has more control. Pelvic floor exercises. We practiced these with diaper changes by tell dd to lift her butt for the pull up doing a pelvic thrust, I would trick her every diaper change into doing at least four of them. She thought I just was really bad at doing diaper changes.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Parents of Kids with IBD » Ibd and potty training