Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Prednisone/Entocort » Help! My flare up (Prednisone)

01-22-2013, 01:51 AM   #31
eastwood

Will be praying with you. Hopefully you can go home soon with a plan of action in place that will help you. FYI: if your blood work is painful I learned that making sure your arm is warm before they draw makes it go less painfully not sure if it's something weird that just works for me but I'd always make sure I had those wonderfully warm hospital blankets on before they came in
Good idea! They seem to draw my blood at 5 a.m. for what every reason. Nothing like being woke up and getting blood drawn lol
01-23-2013, 12:11 AM   #32
Hobbes650
Forum Monitor

No, my doctor did not tell me to take the 60mg but he is not helping me at all. I have a appointment tomorrow with him and will be the last visit with him until next week when I get a new GI. I'm hoping he can give me more prednisone so I can taper of the correct way. Thanks for your concern about tapering and I'm aware that you cant just stop taking prednisone.

HI eastwood,

When I flared up this year I started at 40mg. Tapered all the way off but flared up within one week, so went back up to 60mg and started over again. Most people I hear about start at 40 or 60mg, so it sounds like your doctor thought it wasn't so bad and 20 would do. Looks like he was wrong as you're still having pain- that should have gone away within the the first week. Or at least, be much better.

I also increased my dosage without telling my doctor. My original taper was going too quick and after I reduced to 20 mg from 40 I felt like crap the next day, even had a slight fever. So I took an extra 10mg and stayed at the 30mg level- felt much better. I went in to see my doctor as scheduled a week afterwards and let him know, he was fine with that. But I certainly wouldn't know how to reduce a dosage. Once you've been on Pred for a while you have to go real, real slow in the taper. I'm on my last four weeks now and take 5mg every other day for two weeks, then 2.5mg every other day for two weeks. Can't get much slower.

Ulcerative Colitis 1986
Complete Proctocolectomy with j-pouch 1987
Permanent Ileostomy 1991
Crohn's Disease (just inside stoma) 2012
No meds post 1987 surgery to 2012

Current Meds:
Pentasa 3000mg daily
Imuran (Azathioprine) 100mg daily
Folic Acid supplement: 1mg daily
Mulit Vitamin/Fish Oil or Flaxseed Oil daily
Tumeric and Boswelia occasionally.
01-23-2013, 12:20 AM   #33
Jennifer
Adminstrator

Hobbes650 it comes in 1mg actually. Would need another prescription though if you needed to go that route.
Things I take: Tenormin 25mg (PVCs and Tachycardia), Junel, Tylenol 3, Omeprazole 20mg 2/day, Klonopin 1mg 2/day (anxiety), Restoril 15mg (insomnia), Claritin 20mg
Currently in: REMISSION Thought it was a flare but it's just scar tissue from my resection. Dealing with a stricture. Remission from my resection, 17 years and counting.
01-23-2013, 12:34 AM   #34
Hobbes650
Forum Monitor

Hobbes650 it comes in 1mg actually. Would need another prescription though if you needed to go that route.

OK Crabby, now you're REALLY starting to annoy me.

I've got one bottle of 5mg tablets, and a pill splitter and I'm not buying any more Pred. Besides, my doctor knows better than to start tapering me at 1mg increments. I know where he lives.
01-26-2013, 06:45 PM   #35
eastwood

Will be praying with you. Hopefully you can go home soon with a plan of action in place that will help you. FYI: if your blood work is painful I learned that making sure your arm is warm before they draw makes it go less painfully not sure if it's something weird that just works for me but I'd always make sure I had those wonderfully warm hospital blankets on before they came in
So yea Im still here and 2day is 1 week . My blood work today showed that the inflammation is worst but I do feel better and the GI in the hospital today says that the blood work is only part the battle. He said the fact that I feel better is a good sign. I started Humira yesterday an hope this will start working before its to late. The GI today said that he was taking me off the solu medrol 125mg because of the sides so I hope this is the right decision. Every time they put me on prednisone my numbers shoot up in my blood work so wee will see what happens. Please pray for me ab thanks for all the support!
01-26-2013, 07:10 PM   #36
Jennifer
Adminstrator

Glad you're starting to feel better eastwood. Hope you continue to get better and get out of there soon. Thanks for keeping us posted.
01-31-2013, 12:45 AM   #37
eastwood

So I'm back home and was in the hospital for 9 days. I feel better now but I've had a little bleeding when I poop and the bleeding had stooped before i left the hospital so I hope im not going backwards toward the flare up. I lost 25 lbs in 2 weeks and it really sucks! I hit the gym 5 days a week and do heavy weight training and to see my body the way it is now is very hard to take in. I hope to gain the muscle back as soon as my body will let me.

The main thing that I take from this is, GOD got me out of the flare up and I'm so thankful for him. I'm going to church Sunday and cant wait to show my thanks! The doctor was not sure if my colon was going to heal and when I woke up on Tuesday the blood work showed that the inflammation went down a lot and I felt so much better. It was out of no were because it was getting worse and worse.
01-31-2013, 10:52 AM   #38
Michelle89

My Support Groups:
So I'm back home and was in the hospital for 9 days. I feel better now but I've had a little bleeding when I poop and the bleeding had stooped before i left the hospital so I hope im not going backwards toward the flare up. I lost 25 lbs in 2 weeks and it really sucks! I hit the gym 5 days a week and do heavy weight training and to see my body the way it is now is very hard to take in. I hope to gain the muscle back as soon as my body will let me.

The main thing that I take from this is, GOD got me out of the flare up and I'm so thankful for him. I'm going to church Sunday and cant wait to show my thanks! The doctor was not sure if my colon was going to heal and when I woke up on Tuesday the blood work showed that the inflammation went down a lot and I felt so much better. It was out of no were because it was getting worse and worse.
I was hoping to see an update! I am glad you are home! WOW 25lbs! That is insane! This disease is something else, so frustrating. I've lost a little weight (only 10 lbs not 25!) but I look 6 months pregnant - go figure. Feels like a no win sometimes! Hopefully you will be back to the gym in no time!

I am thanking God with you for your healing from the flare up and pray you will not be going backwards but continue forward! My son asked me the other day why God doesn't just heal me and I told him I think life is more about learning through our journey and yes some people can be (and are) healed miraculously but I wouldn't change what I have learned about myself or God on my journey so far. I have met so many people I otherwise wouldn't have without going through this. Although complete restoration now would be really nice I know it eventually will happen Thanks for the update, was wondering how it was going!
Pentasa
Entocort
Prednisone when in flare
Currently on:
Imuran (100mg)
Prednisone for Flare
Humira
Also Taking: Vitamin D3, folate, Magnesium, Omega-3's, probiotic, general muliti-vitamin
02-03-2013, 05:32 AM   #39
sassy

I am currently on 40mg Prednisone for a flare. I have been on it for two weeks and I am not sure it's doing anything - except giving me side effects. Although I'm not having pain. The last time I took Prednisone it worked a lot faster than this and I think it was a lower dose then. I'm nervous I'll end up with surgery if it doesn't start working. I have a follow-up appointment tomorrow.....

Hope you are starting to feel some relief, if not I'd call the dr. if you are still in that much pain.
HI mICHELLE89' MY HUSBAND IS ON PREDNISONE FOR FLARE UP ALONG WITH FLAGLY AN ASPRICO. WHICH HE TAKES DAILY. HAD SCOPE DONE LAST WEEK HAD 11 BIOSEY AN NOW THEY WANT TO SWITCH FROM REMINICADE TO IMURAN AN CINIZA, DO NOT KNOW WHAT IS BEST I HOPE PREDISONE STARTS WORKING FOR YOU IF NOT CALL THE DOCTOR
02-03-2013, 03:48 PM   #40
Michelle89

My Support Groups:
HI mICHELLE89' MY HUSBAND IS ON PREDNISONE FOR FLARE UP ALONG WITH FLAGLY AN ASPRICO. WHICH HE TAKES DAILY. HAD SCOPE DONE LAST WEEK HAD 11 BIOSEY AN NOW THEY WANT TO SWITCH FROM REMINICADE TO IMURAN AN CINIZA, DO NOT KNOW WHAT IS BEST I HOPE PREDISONE STARTS WORKING FOR YOU IF NOT CALL THE DOCTOR
Thanks, I am now down to 25mg pred. Still having some bloating but otherwise doing much better. I am actually having constipation I guess from the pred.??? Strange issue to have for me when I normally have the "big D" I'd rather have constipation, except I'm nervous about adding fiber - don't want to irritate anything!

I Hope the change works well for your husband. I've been on imuran for about 2 years, but I am now going from imuran to humira. Loading dose in two weeks. Not sure if I'm continuing the imuran on top of humira or not. I didn't have any side effects from the imuran, just wasn't cutting it for me any longer. I Had a big flare and developed 2 separate areas of strictures in December. Crazy all the bouncing around everyone does among the drugs!
02-03-2013, 04:10 PM   #41
Michelle89

My Support Groups:
eastwood: I hope you are feeling well and still recovering at home! Update us when you can!
02-04-2013, 03:05 AM   #42
eastwood

eastwood: I hope you are feeling well and still recovering at home! Update us when you can!
I feel so much better and i've gained back a couple of pounds only 23lbs more to go lol. Im eating nothing but chicken and rice like 4 times a day and eggs and grits for breakfast. I'll eat 1 banana a day as well and the same thing every single day lol. Its getting very old but my body is digesting the food and i'm so grateful for GOD'S favor to pull me out of that horrible flare up. I don't every want to have to go back to being that sick again! For now im going to stay on a strict diet and eat very clean. I go see my GI on Tuesday and will take it from there. Im on 50mg prednisone now and i'm Curious to see how fast I can come off the horrible drug as we all know lol.
Thanks so much for your concern it means a lot!

How are you doing with the 25mg and are you feeling well?
02-05-2013, 09:39 PM   #43
Michelle89

My Support Groups:
Yay for digesting food!! I'm glad you are feeling better and home!

How are you doing on the prednisone? I am now down to 20mg but I am dealing with a LOT of bloating and pressure, very uncomfortable. I'm trying to drink lots of water as supposedly it helps, but not really working and still really irritable (my poor family has been so understanding!). My 5yo asked if I was having a baby, lol. Perfect time to teach etiquette! I am also starting Humira tomorrow. Kinda freaked out about the loading dose :-/

My favorite food that's been settling well is Salmon, rice and applesauce. I've been having eggs as well and seems to be okay.
02-06-2013, 06:20 AM   #44
eastwood

Yay for digesting food!! I'm glad you are feeling better and home!

How are you doing on the prednisone? I am now down to 20mg but I am dealing with a LOT of bloating and pressure, very uncomfortable. I'm trying to drink lots of water as supposedly it helps, but not really working and still really irritable (my poor family has been so understanding!). My 5yo asked if I was having a baby, lol. Perfect time to teach etiquette! I am also starting Humira tomorrow. Kinda freaked out about the loading dose :-/

My favorite food that's been settling well is Salmon, rice and applesauce. I've been having eggs as well and seems to be okay.

It feels so good to be healthy right now and I will never forget how it feels to lose your health! Today I will drop my prednisone dose to 35mg and continue to drop the dose 5mg every 3 days. My GI said this was the fastest and safest way to drop the dose compared to how well i'm doing. I'm GLAD to hear that your down to 20mg and not flaring, that's great!! Sorry to hear that you are having a lot of bloating and pressure! Today is my last two injections of Humira for the loading dose. I took 4 injections 2 weeks and After this loading I'll just have to inject every two weeks and no more pills. Yay! Don't worry about the loading dose its going to help you so much. Humira is the drug that saved my colon because I was not responding to SOLU MEDROL 125MG or 60mg of prednisone. I'll pray for you and I know GOD has great things in store for you! Keep me updated on the Humira and the prednisone.
02-06-2013, 11:02 PM   #45
Michelle89

My Support Groups:
That's great that you are feeling healthy! I wish I could taper the prednisone as quickly as you but my body can't handle it. You will be off way before me! I taper down every two weeks. Just went to 20mg yesterday so two more weeks at that level for me. I've greatly increase my water intake which has helped some with the bloating - thanks to searching the forum!

I'm glad you are having such a good experience with beginning humira. I hope your second loading dose went well. Praying your success on humira continues for years!!

I started my first loading dose today. I am still amazed I did it. It hurt like crazy but after the nurse did the first shot I managed to do the other 3. I think I will be more comfortable when I can do it at home. My husband took me for a chocolate shake afterwards so all was good I expected more side effects but other than my legs being a bit sore I'm good. I apparently will have to continue my imuran while being on humira. Now I am just praying it's worth it!

Really great to hear you are doing well!
02-16-2013, 02:29 PM   #46
eastwood

That's great that you are feeling healthy! I wish I could taper the prednisone as quickly as you but my body can't handle it. You will be off way before me! I taper down every two weeks. Just went to 20mg yesterday so two more weeks at that level for me. I've greatly increase my water intake which has helped some with the bloating - thanks to searching the forum!

I'm glad you are having such a good experience with beginning humira. I hope your second loading dose went well. Praying your success on humira continues for years!!

I started my first loading dose today. I am still amazed I did it. It hurt like crazy but after the nurse did the first shot I managed to do the other 3. I think I will be more comfortable when I can do it at home. My husband took me for a chocolate shake afterwards so all was good I expected more side effects but other than my legs being a bit sore I'm good. I apparently will have to continue my imuran while being on humira. Now I am just praying it's worth it!

Really great to hear you are doing well!
So how is the humira going? Are you off the pred?
02-17-2013, 05:09 PM   #47
Michelle89

My Support Groups:
So how is the humira going? Are you off the pred?
I haven't really noticed anything good or bad from the humira yet. I have my second loading dose on this Wednesday.

Still on the pred and not enjoying it. At the rate we are tapering it will be more than a month! I haven't weighed this much since I was pregnant. I'm starting to not want to go anywhere. It's not just about not liking how I look, but my added weight is becoming so obvious it apparently begs people to ask me about my health and that's all I seem to discuss anymore.

I can't wait to get past the next month or so and hopefully start feeling some good effects from the humira! I am actually feeling some pain today. But we went to eat after church and I had some chicken that I didn't expect to be spicey but was. Hoping that is all it is.

How is humira treating you?! Are you back at the gym?
02-18-2013, 12:43 AM   #48
eastwood

I haven't really noticed anything good or bad from the humira yet. I have my second loading dose on this Wednesday.

Still on the pred and not enjoying it. At the rate we are tapering it will be more than a month! I haven't weighed this much since I was pregnant. I'm starting to not want to go anywhere. It's not just about not liking how I look, but my added weight is becoming so obvious it apparently begs people to ask me about my health and that's all I seem to discuss anymore.

I can't wait to get past the next month or so and hopefully start feeling some good effects from the humira! I am actually feeling some pain today. But we went to eat after church and I had some chicken that I didn't expect to be spicey but was. Hoping that is all it is.

How is Humira treating you?! Are you back at the gym?
So how long have you been on the Humira now?

Sorry to hear your having bad side from the prednisone!

So were is you pain at, upper GI or is it in your colon? I'll tell you what is helping me is im eating boiled chicken and rice with chicken bouillon for flavor several times a day. I eat eggs and grits for breakfast and about 3 bananas and 1 avocado a day. Its crazy when I eat this clean I'm hungry ever 3 hours. It's like a body building diet but the chicken and rice could help you if you can eat the same thing over and over. I'll also make chicken and dumplings every other day to change it up.

The Humira seems to be working but man does that stuff burn lol

Yes I'm back at the gym and this week I went really hard at the gym and it feels so great to be back and doing what I love . Its crazy how much strength I loss from just 2 weeks of being that sick. I would say i'll lost about 3 years of hard training all in 2 weeks. The main thing is that I'm healthy now and GOD answered my prayers! I give GOD all credit for my recovery and I'm so thankful for being healthy!

I'll pray for you and once the Humira kicks in it should help you a lot!

02-20-2013, 12:19 AM   #49
Michelle89

My Support Groups:
So how long have you been on the Humira now?

Sorry to hear your having bad side from the prednisone!

So were is you pain at, upper GI or is it in your colon? I'll tell you what is helping me is im eating boiled chicken and rice with chicken bouillon for flavor several times a day. I eat eggs and grits for breakfast and about 3 bananas and 1 avocado a day. Its crazy when I eat this clean I'm hungry ever 3 hours. It's like a body building diet but the chicken and rice could help you if you can eat the same thing over and over. I'll also make chicken and dumplings every other day to change it up.

The Humira seems to be working but man does that stuff burn lol

Yes I'm back at the gym and this week I went really hard at the gym and it feels so great to be back and doing what I love . Its crazy how much strength I loss from just 2 weeks of being that sick. I would say i'll lost about 3 years of hard training all in 2 weeks. The main thing is that I'm healthy now and GOD answered my prayers! I give GOD all credit for my recovery and I'm so thankful for being healthy!

I'll pray for you and once the Humira kicks in it should help you a lot!

I'm glad it's working well for you. I can't really tell yet but don't see any additional side effects. I've had the initial 4 shot loading dose.....giving myself the second 2 shot loading dose tomorrow (2/20). Yeah........it definitely burns! (<- rof...in burning pain)

I lowered my Prednisone yesterday to 15mg and I can finally say today was a pretty good day symptom wise. Still some bloating but more bearable. The pain I was having the other day came and went so guessing it was the spicy chicken

I am very used to eating the same thing over and over. I've been doing a banana along with an egg-n-cheese omlette in the morning. I could def. do the chicken and rice. Dumplings sound really yummy too- I've never made them.

Yay for being back doing what you love! Good for you! I am excited to get fit again myself, especially after all the weight I've gained on the pred. and mostly how I feel with the extra weight. I know what you mean about loosing years worth of fitness. I have a lot of work ahead. I'm sure you will be back where you want to be in no time.

It has been a long road and crohn's is obviously a life long journey but I love looking back seeing God at work through it all beside me. I wish I was better at seeing Him in the midst of it all! Maybe one day I'll learn
02-20-2013, 12:42 AM   #50
eastwood

I'm glad it's working well for you. I can't really tell yet but don't see any additional side effects. I've had the initial 4 shot loading dose.....giving myself the second 2 shot loading dose tomorrow (2/20). Yeah........it definitely burns! (<- rof...in burning pain)

I lowered my Prednisone yesterday to 15mg and I can finally say today was a pretty good day symptom wise. Still some bloating but more bearable. The pain I was having the other day came and went so guessing it was the spicy chicken

I am very used to eating the same thing over and over. I've been doing a banana along with an egg-n-cheese omlette in the morning. I could def. do the chicken and rice. Dumplings sound really yummy too- I've never made them.

Yay for being back doing what you love! Good for you! I am excited to get fit again myself, especially after all the weight I've gained on the pred. and mostly how I feel with the extra weight. I know what you mean about loosing years worth of fitness. I have a lot of work ahead. I'm sure you will be back where you want to be in no time.

It has been a long road and crohn's is obviously a life long journey but I love looking back seeing God at work through it all beside me. I wish I was better at seeing Him in the midst of it all! Maybe one day I'll learn
Yea the burning from the humira is getting better. I did my first shot of the normal dose and it didn't burn at all. I think its just the first shots from the loading dose that hurts the most so don't worry it will get better.

That's great you lowered your does to 15mg today and how long will you be on 15? 2 weeks?

So in your omelets do you use lactose free cheese or does lactose not bother you? Its funny because I just watched a video on milk/lactose. here check this video out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klOwpFTI7jQ

Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Prednisone/Entocort » Help! My flare up (Prednisone)