Share Facebook

01-14-2013, 04:52 PM   #1
furiousfunker
Forum Monitor

Draining abscesses (update)

Hi everyone, I hope I've posted this in the right place..

today I went to see my GI for my results from an MRI scan I had on the small bowel last week, I thought I was on the road to remission, but apparently my crohns has other ideas

She said there is an abscess, around 2x3cm there and has got me going in on Wednesday afternoon for an ultrasound and to drain the abscess... Now I've never heard of draining before, I'm fairly new to the whole crohns thing, but it sounds absolutely horrific and I'm not ashamed to admit that I am a little bit scared of having a huge needle jabbed into it

So if anyone on here has any experience or advice for me, it would be greatly appreciated

Thank you!

Last edited by furiousfunker; 01-29-2013 at 11:34 AM.
01-14-2013, 05:05 PM   #2
Sailorluna
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Hi Furious,
Is your abscess in your abdomen? I have only had perianal ones. Lot's of us have had these thing drained and scary as it sounds it will be ok. If you do not hear from someone that has had an abdominal one here you may want to post in the fistula/abscess subforum.

Good luck at your appointment.

Symptoms since 98
Resection and diagnosis June 2010
3 fistulas
abscess drained 6 times (so far...)
currently 2 seton in place 1 since 9/11 the other 4/14
1 strange small air pocket with an 8 cm sinus track leading into the great unknown
methotrexate weekly
folic acid
2 lomotil
2 Welchol
B12 injections (monthly)
Remicade

_____
Goodbye Humira
Goodbye Cimzia
Goodbye Azathiprine
01-14-2013, 08:54 PM   #3
Andrew k

Hi. Mine was perianal too. I was put to sleep when they did mine. Had a seton for 5 yes and constant dressing changes 5-10+ times a day. Not long had a proctectomy and now dressing free. Good luck. Hope all goes well

Previous meds; pentasa, prednisone, azerthioperine, infiximab, humeria. Steroid infusions. Macaptupurine
01-14-2013, 09:22 PM   #4
gmm

My Support Groups:
if its an abscess on your front under the skin its kinda uncomfortable when they drain it, but they numb the area first and all you feel is pushing and such, it wasnt as bad as i expected, mines appeared at the top of my stomach between the rib join area but was told its was a fistula going to the large bowel too, they insert a tube which drains it and then in my case to a small bag over the hole after a week or so, hope its just a straightforward drain for you with no complications
right hemicolectomy, gallbladder removed,and a few perianal abscesses operated on, currently at stalemate with the surgeons over options,2013 took a gamble on surgery and lost, ended up with an ileostomy in september
01-14-2013, 11:54 PM   #5
M30
Forum Monitor

if its an abscess on your front under the skin its kinda uncomfortable when they drain it, but they numb the area first and all you feel is pushing and such, it wasnt as bad as i expected, mines appeared at the top of my stomach between the rib join area but was told its was a fistula going to the large bowel too, they insert a tube which drains it and then in my case to a small bag over the hole after a week or so, hope its just a straightforward drain for you with no complications
Hey gmm, what was the texture / color of your fluids during that week of drainage? I'm in the process now and for the past 6 days it was pink-ish clear. However just last night I noticed a distinct cutoff from the pink fluid in my tube and what now draining as a dark gray / black / brown substance. When I woke up the whole tube was this new color and enough had drained into my bad to alter the overall color. Don't mean to hijack this thread but did you experience this? Thanks
01-15-2013, 01:46 AM   #6
furiousfunker
Forum Monitor

Its the abdomen

They did say they put some numbing cream on the skin... But surely that doesn't numb the inside?.... Ughhhh, really not looking forward to it
01-15-2013, 06:15 AM   #7
Catherine

My Support Groups:
No real advice but maybe Dusty will have some.
Small bowel to small bowel fistula

Meds: ), azathioprine 200mg, Mesalazine 1.2g x 2, seretide 250 x 2 (asthma), ventolin (as needed)

Currently no supplements.

Has previously taken Multi B, Caltrate, B12 & Iron

Prednisolone (from 30 mg 01/02/2012 to 17/06/2012, 30mg 24/10/12-28/12/12, 50mg 24/1/13-27/4/13)
01-15-2013, 06:57 AM   #8
TracieD

My Support Groups:
Hi there,

My son (20 yrs old) was just diagnosed with Crohn's in December. He actually had an abscess in the lower front of his abdomen. They gave him "twilight" anethesia before inserting the drain. His abscess came back though because he had a fistula that was feeding it. So they had to do it again and when they placed the drain they used a CTscan for guidance on placement. He doesn't remember having the drain put in at all or even the nurse that helped him before and after the procedure. You should call the doctor to find out some more specifics about how they plan to do this so you don't have to stress about it ahead of time. Anticipation is worse than the real thing...of that I am sure. We were in the hospital when all this happened and the drain stayed in for about a week to ensure the abscess was emptied before they removed it. BTW, removal was a piece of cake, so don't worry about that either. You're going to do just fine, I promise.
Good luck and let us know!
Tracie
01-15-2013, 08:40 AM   #9
gmm

My Support Groups:
heya m30, the gunk that came out and drained first was a greeny/grey colour for about two days, abouta tablespoons worth a day, then changed to a light brown ish/tan colour ever since, i suppose because its draining partly from the large bowel too because of the fistula taking it there

furious, dont get too worked up about it, im the biggest chicken there is and it turned out ok, just ask for some painkillers when the anaesthetic wears of for a few hours that was the worst bit honestly you have to lie down in bed for a few hrs after it, after that i was off down the lifts for a fag, lol, youll be fine
01-15-2013, 08:51 AM   #10
furiousfunker
Forum Monitor

Thanks for the replies everyone...

I'm really confused now after reading different things, I was told it was a syringe to drain everything out.. and that I would be alright to drive home afterwards? Does that familiar to anyone?

It's tomorrow afternoon I go for it, so I will let you all know what happens!
01-15-2013, 09:43 AM   #11
alisonhyslop

I had a pelvic abscess but I got out to sleep, hope all goes well tomorrow. it's always worse before hand as you don't know what to expect but once you are in there you will be fine, just keep a brave face on
01-15-2013, 01:40 PM   #12
DustyKat
Super Moderator

There are various scenarios when it comes to intra abdominal abscesses.

1. The abscess is drained via syringe and that is the end of the procedure.

2. The abscess is drained (usually via syringe) and then a drain is inserted and left insitu (in place) for a few days until the drainage ceases, or close to it, and then it is removed.

3. The abscess is drained (usually via syringe) and then a drain in inserted. If a fistula is suspected a sinogram will be performed. A sinogram is where dye is injected through the drain and via CT the doctor will look to see if the dye tracks from the abscess back to the bowel. If there is a fistula the drain will often be left insitu as fistula's emanating from the small bowel are notoriously difficult to heal with medication. Removal of the drain will only result in the abscess reforming. Surgery is usually required and it is at this point that the is drain is removed.

My son had the third outcome. It was decided from the outset that he would have a drain as they suspected a fistula was involved, he was an inpatient. He was given local anaesthetic and he said he couldn't really feel it, more a sensation of pressure than anything. He was uncomfortable following the procedure though, likely when the local wore off so received analgesia when after he arrived back on the ward.

Good luck!

Dusty. xxx
01-15-2013, 02:23 PM   #13
furiousfunker
Forum Monitor

Thanks Dusty, that clears up a lot, hopefully tomorrow is just the first example!

and thank you everyone else for your help and support, ill be sure to update this tomorrow to let you all know what happened!
01-15-2013, 02:52 PM   #14
tiloah

My Support Groups:
Good luck! Sending positive and comforting thoughts your direction.
01-15-2013, 09:17 PM   #15
M30
Forum Monitor

heya m30, the gunk that came out and drained first was a greeny/grey colour for about two days, abouta tablespoons worth a day, then changed to a light brown ish/tan colour ever since, i suppose because its draining partly from the large bowel too because of the fistula taking it there

furious, dont get too worked up about it, im the biggest chicken there is and it turned out ok, just ask for some painkillers when the anaesthetic wears of for a few hours that was the worst bit honestly you have to lie down in bed for a few hrs after it, after that i was off down the lifts for a fag, lol, youll be fine
Thank you for that bit of info. Perfect.

!!
gmm and DustyKat (amongst others) are invaluable to us. Man, thank god for you guys devoting your time to help

much love
01-16-2013, 02:52 PM   #16
furiousfunker
Forum Monitor

Update!

At 10am this morning I got a phonecall off the hospital saying they had to cancel my drain today and put it back 2 weeks because they want me in all day on a ward

The worst part is my break at work finishes at 10am and I was told I couldn't eat 6 hours before the drain so I missed breakfast! Lol

Ahh well, 2 more nail biting weeks!
01-16-2013, 05:39 PM   #17
gmm

My Support Groups:
two weeks???? what i gather is if that abscess bursts it can be real bad? id be asking why two weeks ?, unless they told you specifically youd be ok
01-17-2013, 01:42 AM   #18
furiousfunker
Forum Monitor

I did think that, but my GI said it would be alright... And to be honest, I trust her judgement

I am on antibiotics for a month now as well
01-29-2013, 02:31 AM   #19
furiousfunker
Forum Monitor

Well todays the day... Not looking forward to it one bit :/
01-29-2013, 04:39 AM   #20
tiloah

My Support Groups:
Good luck! Let us know how it goes.
01-29-2013, 04:58 AM   #21
furiousfunker
Forum Monitor

Thankyou... Although ive just had a phonecall off the hospital saying my drain is cancelled and I just have an ultrasound to go to... which is worrying since my GI is out of the country so I don't know who has cancelled it!! Arghhhhhhh... Hospitals are a nightmare.
01-29-2013, 05:13 AM   #22
tiloah

My Support Groups:
Wow this is getting ridiculous! Sorry to hear about the delay and not being able to contact your GI. What a bunch of bunk!
01-29-2013, 11:33 AM   #23
furiousfunker
Forum Monitor

Righttt... Just got home from the hospital, the Dr doing the ultrasound said he wouldnt do a drain without looking himself first, that's why it was cancelled..

The ultra sound didn't show an abscess anywhere and everything else was healthy (he even took screenshots of most my organs to use because they were so visible) he said he isn't surprised there was nothing there because the abscess was first noticed just before Xmas and since I have been on antibiotics its probably reduced it/ got rid of it. So good news really! He said where the MRI showed it to be originally, was in so low down in the pelvic area, it would be dangerous to go in through the front to drain it so it would be drained from the rear, which he said is extremely painful and only do them when absolutely necessary

So all in all, happy days and no drain!

Thankyou everyone for the kind words and support so far!
01-29-2013, 02:04 PM   #24
Grumbletum

My Support Groups:
That is good news, even though you had to wait a while for it. And how are you feeling - better than you were when they suggested the drain?

Previous: Prednisolone, Mesren, Omeprazole, Infliximab, Azathioprine
Current: Pentasa, Librax, Warfarin
Helen x
01-29-2013, 02:39 PM   #25
furiousfunker
Forum Monitor

Hey grumbletum! Yeah I'm glad it's all over, for now at least! And yes I am feeling a lot better since then, I dare say I'm almost symptom free

I plan to start 'juicing' this week.. Looking forward to that!
01-29-2013, 04:19 PM   #26
Grumbletum

My Support Groups:
Me too. Gonna join Gianni's 20 day juice plan.
01-29-2013, 06:04 PM   #27
tiloah

My Support Groups:
Oh that's wonderful news! Hope you keep feeling better.