Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Dark gray stuff draining from abscess via catheter

01-15-2013, 12:15 AM   #1
M30
Forum Monitor

Dark gray stuff draining from abscess via catheter

So.. I just read the wiki entry for gangrene and am getting concerned.

I've had this drain in for 6 days and there has been nothing but small amounts of diluted / pink blood draining.

Then last night, I noticed everything new coming out was dark gray ( 5% of my drain tube was gray, the rest pinkish.

When I awoke the whole portion of the drain tube was gray and about 10ml had filled the suction mechanism.

Today it has been gray still, not much change in volume.

Waiting on a call back from my doc but should I be worried? Has anyone seen this color of material come from an abscess?

Thanks
01-15-2013, 01:38 AM   #2
DustyKat
Super Moderator

Grey exudate (discharge) is not unusual when the pus in a wound is purulent (infected). Purulent pus is a combination of pathogenic microorganisms along with white cells, inflammatory cells and dead or dying bacteria and is normally yellow, grey or green.

Since you have an abscess and it is still actively draining then I would hazard a guess and say it should not be of concern.

Are you on antibiotics?

Have you heard back from the doctor?

Is the abscess being flushed?

Dusty. xxx
01-15-2013, 09:27 PM   #3
M30
Forum Monitor

Thank you for being so responsive

I have an appt tomorrow AM with the doctor. It will have been 10 days tomorrow.

Last night things went yellow, then back to gray again today.

As advised, I have been flushing it at least once a day..disconnecting the tube and pumping 10lm of saline into my abscess :-\

I hate that the bag is so big and unmanageable. Apart from that, quality of life is good.. assuming i'm not dying from an infection somewhere :-)

I guess I will ask these questions of my doc tomorrow but, I'm thinking to myself.. "How long will they let me carry this thing? I sure as hell don't want surgery right now. I'd rather live with this for another month than to have more down time and more risk of trouble."
01-15-2013, 09:37 PM   #4
M30
Forum Monitor

Grey exudate (discharge) is not unusual when the pus in a wound is purulent (infected). Purulent pus is a combination of pathogenic microorganisms along with white cells, inflammatory cells and dead or dying bacteria and is normally yellow, grey or green.

Since you have an abscess and it is still actively draining then I would hazard a guess and say it should not be of concern.

Are you on antibiotics?

Have you heard back from the doctor?

Is the abscess being flushed?

Dusty. xxx
And again, thank you!!! Just wanted you to know I read your response last night and it helped me get to sleep; gave me peace of mind.
01-16-2013, 02:05 AM   #5
DustyKat
Super Moderator

Thank you for the kind words.

Good luck with the appointment today M30!

Are you on antibiotics?

Dusty. xxx
01-16-2013, 08:38 PM   #6
M30
Forum Monitor

Well, doc visit went.

The stuff coming out of catheter is bile / poo.

They want to take out 12 inches of my intestine (ileum), remove my appendix, I guess this process is called a resection? fml

It was stated there must be a pin hole / fistula in the intestine allowing this stuff to leak under certain circumstances..

Part of me wonders if my intestines were pierced w/ the catheter.. oh well.

It is what it is. Now I have to schedule surgery. FML!!!!!!!

Ever just wish you'd get t-boned at an intersection?
01-16-2013, 09:04 PM   #7
gmm

My Support Groups:
at least it sounds like a " simple " op, and youll be feeling the benefit of it in a few weeks i hope, kinda sounds like the same boat im in, but gonna lose a lot more of the large bowel if not all of it if they cant rejoin, good luck with the op when it comes
right hemicolectomy, gallbladder removed,and a few perianal abscesses operated on, currently at stalemate with the surgeons over options,2013 took a gamble on surgery and lost, ended up with an ileostomy in september
01-17-2013, 05:20 AM   #8
DustyKat
Super Moderator

Hey M30,

Both of my kids have had that surgery. My daughter was undiagnosed and had emergency and my son had planned surgery for a micro perforation, fistula and abscess. So very much like you. I hear your fears and disappoint at this outcome. I hated this for my children also but there was no other choice. For all that I loathed it it has given them a new lease on life, it put both of them straight into remission and they have stayed there...6.5 years and 21 months respectively.

Good luck!

Dusty. xxx

Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Dark gray stuff draining from abscess via catheter