• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

MY IBD vs Hurricane Sandy

I was in and out of the hospital due to active disease weeks leading up to Hurricane Sandy’s impact on my hometown. I live in Staten Island, New York. Parts of Staten Island were demolished and it was devastating. I just so happen to be an Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) and when I saw how my fellow “islanders” were struggling, I knew deep down inside that I had to do something to help. Even though I wasn’t feeling well, I wasn’t letting this disease stop me from saving people. To make a long story short, my work within the disaster area was very successful. I treated hundreds of victims within a 3 months’ time period. Actually, my relief efforts were recognized by the media all around the world; I posted some of the videos below. Anyways, this was the first time that I attempted a major task /workload since being newly diagnosed with Crohn’s Disease and Ankylosing Spondylitis. When I was diagnosed, I was in denial about the possibility of working again or even returning to a normal lifestyle, but Hurricane Sandy was a turning point with my view on this disease. You can’t let it stop you from doing anything. Yes I had a few flares during my relief efforts, but I stayed strong and did what I had to do. I’m sharing this story, especially for the newly diagnosed patients, to show that it’s possible for anyone to make a difference in this world, even if you’re one who suffers from Inflammatory Bowel Disease.

Media Coverage on Eddie Saman

Eyewitness News (ABC): click here

NY1 News: first story click here
second story click here

Pix11 News: click here

New York Post: click here

Thanks For Reading,

Salvatore Barcia
Crohn's Disease Patient
Staten Island, New York

Greater New York Chapter-CCFA

that is so great!!!
This can be a very tough disease, so everyone loves to hear the good stories too.

thanks for sharing. come to the site anytime to get or give support.
take care