Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Stoma Subforum » How do you change yours?

01-25-2013, 06:16 AM   #31
2thFairy

My Support Groups:
annawato--I wrap mine with a square of gauze bandage while I'm doing all of the steps to catch the dribbles and spurts.

Actually, that may not work for you since yours doesn't come out too far.

Total colectomy with ileostomy featuring Sideshow Bob since January 2012

"The colon seems an unlikely candidate for dramatic effect, but now and then it serves that purpose well." The Associated Press Guide to Punctuation
01-27-2013, 08:33 PM   #32
annawato

My Support Groups:
Tried the plastic backing trick but still had dribble under it.
Tried the plastic bag trick but it had a hole in it.
Back to the drawing board.
01-27-2013, 08:36 PM   #33
annawato

My Support Groups:
2th fairy there is just so much coming out that I literally use a whole role of loo paper sopping it up, but I appreciate your suggestion anyway.
01-27-2013, 09:03 PM   #34
Susan2

My Support Groups:
Anna, don't you have any time of day when it slows down?
Currently on no medications, but under constant gaze of very caring GP, with annual blood and other tests.
01-27-2013, 09:14 PM   #35
annawato

My Support Groups:
No not at all, although thats not true - it usually quietens down for half an hour just after I change the bag. haha, not.
I'm waiting on a delivery at the moment and had 10 assorted sample bags left. Well Saturday night I had 3 leakages during the night and three the next day. I literally spent the best part of 12 hours on the loo as it takes 1/2 to one hour just to change the bag, cut a new one etc etc. Talk about destroying any confidence I'd built up. Plus the skin is now totally raw and ulcerated again so I'm feeling pretty low today and scared cos I only have one bag left. I ordered 12 days ago so don't know what he hell has happened with my delivery - I'll have to try and organise a courier tomorrow. Plus I'm out of paste and barrier wipes etc so can't even protect the skin.
01-31-2013, 03:54 PM   #36
rowengrath

I take a shower so I can wash the area around the stoma well. THen just hop out and put on new equipment. I have never hear of warming up the wafer first though I will have to try that little trick.
Meds: Remicaid.
02-01-2013, 08:13 PM   #37
persephone300

I sit down - usually on the bed at home, with everything spread out round me. I find it easier to sit, because I'm overweight, so if I tried to change the back when I stand up, and then sit down, it's more likely to shift under the extra pressure/tummy size splayed.

Plus sitting feels more comfortable. If at home, I don't do it in the bathroom, like using the bed as a "shelf".

Taken numerous drugs all had side effects/hasn't worked so had subtotal colectomy 19th Oct 2012.

Probs with inverted shrinking stoma, daily leakage, burns, pain, miserable. Revision March 2013 and much better quality of life, but occasional leakage, burns and a stoma that refuses to stick out every day is the norm.
02-03-2013, 12:19 AM   #38
debbie261

I change mine laying on my bed.I lay towels across it and have plenty of paper towels ready,a trash can and my supplies.I find I can get the flange on better that way,Iv'e tried every position and this has worked best for me,but I have a lot of leakage problems so nothing works great.
02-03-2013, 06:34 AM   #39
annawato

My Support Groups:
Well my supplies arrived last Tuesday which was also our 25th wedding anniversary. When my husband brought them in to me I said it was the best anniversary present I've ever had.
Wednesday I had three leakages - I think cos the skin was sore and weeping so the wafer wasn't sticking. One happened while with a friend at the dog park but fortunately not too messy and we just came straight home.
Since then I haven't had any leakages, touchwood, and the skin is just about healed. Yippee!
02-03-2013, 06:48 AM   #40
Susan2

My Support Groups:
Wonderful news, Anna. I do hope that this will be the start of a new phase for you when you can really enjoy the positive things that having had the stoma surgery can bring.
02-04-2013, 12:37 PM   #41
Minionaire

Great news for you Anna. I hope the success continues.

Regarding keeping stoma under control when changing, is it possible to put something like a condom onto it temporarily whilst prepping/drying the skin for application of the wafer? I have no idea if this would work and I don't even have a stoma (op 20th Feb), but would this work?

Dave.

Dx - Crohn's colitis, 2005

Pan-proctocolectomy and end ileostomy surgery. Alf the stoma born 23rd Feb 2013.

Re-Dx - Ulcerative Colitis, Mar 2013 (Post surgery pathology on my removed colon concluded my "Crohn's" was actually UC!).

My surgery blog: http://davesbelly.blogspot.com
02-04-2013, 12:56 PM   #42
2thFairy

My Support Groups:
I think a condom would probably just slip off. I guess you could try the kind with no lubrication, but even then I think it would slip off. When mine is completely inactive, it just hangs down, but it is really really wet and slippery. (Sounds kinky!!) When it is active, it moves around A LOT and changes sizes (that sounds bad too!)

What I do is put gauze around it to catch the output and it also helps me be able to move it out of the way when putting on the strip paste.
02-04-2013, 01:43 PM   #43
glum chump

Great news, Anna! I hope things are still going smoothly for you.

In terms of changing: huh, I seem to be one of the few that favours the bed as my change site. I shower and change about 45 minutes after getting up. I lay my flange, bag and wafer on my bed. I then take everything off and head off to shower. Dry myself off, put a papertowel over the stoma and head over to the bedroom. I have a couple of extra pieces of paper towel on my bedside table in case the stoma is particularly grumpy). I lay down and put everything together in a couple of minutes, and then lay there with my hand over the whole thing for about 10 minutes. In the meantime, I watch TV.

After reading all your methods, I'm thinking that I seem to be particularly lazy or perhaps just really self-indulgent.

Kismet
02-04-2013, 05:35 PM   #44
annawato

My Support Groups:

After reading all your methods, I'm thinking that I seem to be particularly lazy or perhaps just really self-indulgent.

Kismet
Perhaps you are just really efficient Kismet!

Daves idea:
Regarding keeping stoma under control when changing, is it possible to put something like a condom onto it temporarily whilst prepping/drying the skin for application of the wafer?

Dave.
Dave thats a great idea, in theory, but I'd need he worlds largest condom. It would literally fill up in a minute if not less. Perhaps some african country has surplus condoms i could buy.( And that is not meant to be racist, more complimentary.) One of the companies sent me out some wound bags but they are so tiny they didn't work either. Plus i think it would slip off, my stoma doesn't poke out very far.

Toothy the gauze is a good idea too but again quantity of output means it woudn't work for me.
I think I just need to be patient and do what i can between outpourings. I'm getting pretty efficient at catching it all with loo paper.
Also the stoma nurse is coming today. Of course the skin is practically healed now and she'll probably wonder what the hell my problem is! But she may have some solutions although I think if no-one on this forum has one she won't.
But hey, things have gone so well for the last 6 days that I'm not worried. Its amazing how quickly your confidence can erode and how quickly it can be restored.
Thanks everyone for your concern and thoughts and ideas.
Anna
02-04-2013, 05:38 PM   #45
Susan2

My Support Groups:
It's good to hear that you are feeling more positive, Anna.

The stoma nurse will be able to see it, so might have some ideas that no-one here has come up with.
02-04-2013, 05:46 PM   #46
2thFairy

My Support Groups:
Anna, I hear ya on the too much output to be useful for the gauze suggestion. I know this wouldn't work for you; I was just throwing it out there for Dave.

So glad you are having success. Hooray!!!
02-11-2013, 06:52 AM   #47
Jaano711
Forum Monitor

Hi Anna,
I use chux cloths. I buy a roll of he cheap ones, they are joined by perforations, I take a sheet off, and cut it in half. I then get my supplies out, prep my bag and stick my Eakin seal on. I then remove my bag, use an adhesive remover wipeto remove all traces of adhesive, place a half chux over miss piggy, and hop in the shower. I then clean myself and miss piggy, hop out with the chux folded over miss p. I dry myself around and above the Stoma very quickly. I then use the dry half chux to dry Stoma really well, apply cavilon wipe, and then whack the new gear on. If miss p starts to dribble, I attack her with the wet chux and start the dry off again.
I have to say that my hubby bough a 2 door cabinet for the bathroom which both houses my gear, and is a work top for changes. It's really handy. I also have a couple of old ice cream containers in the cupboard so if miss piggy gets really active I have something to catch the 'crap' in. I also try to change of a night now so that it is not a big hassle in the morning while trying to get three kids to school and myself to work..

: Janette

I meant to have Jano as my user name, but did a typo!
02-22-2013, 06:35 AM   #48
Pie-Guy

Wrote a thread here:
http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=47586
02-26-2013, 07:35 AM   #49
Paddy Holmes

You all sound so well organised!Can I add another question to the thread? I have an ileostomy with short bowel syndrome, very unpredictable...so I have always knelt in front of the loo when emptying my drainable bag. Ok at home but not so nice in public places so I carry a flannel to kneel on. Do others with ileostomies also do this or can you help me out with other suggestions? I've got very dry skin on my knees from all that kneeling so if I could try something else it'd be wonderful.
Love the idea of washing without the bag on, do you think it would be ok to have a bath rather than a shower?
02-26-2013, 08:11 AM   #50
2thFairy

My Support Groups:
I also kneel at home when emptying and have the lovely dry knee patches like you. You might find one of those kneeling pads like they have at gardening centers. As for public restrooms, I do a half-stand half-squat to empty. If anyone saw me do this, they would have a good laugh for sure!

Bathing bagless is fine as long as you are bathing in clean water, i.e., water that is safe enough to drink.
02-26-2013, 11:59 AM   #51
Nyx

I bathe without my bag on all the time...I've never had a problem at all.

Crohn's Diagnosis: May 2006
Current meds: none
Surgeries: Colostomy, December 2009

"Never trust a fart." Jack Nicholson, The Bucket List

Oscar is awesome! Loving my life with my stoma (with a hint of poo)!!

02-26-2013, 12:36 PM   #52
sanni

I bathe without my bag on all the time...I've never had a problem at all.
With the activity of my stoma I would end up bathing in my own sh- poo.
Meds: Humira and tons of nutrition supliments including B12 and D injections.
Hypokalemia (hypopotassemia) and hypomagnesemia.
My Story
02-26-2013, 12:41 PM   #53
2thFairy

My Support Groups:
Same here, sanni!
02-26-2013, 06:19 PM   #54
annawato

My Support Groups:
I sit sideways on the toilet so one cheek is on the front then empty my bag into the back of the toilet. i can't imagine kneeling but maybe our toilets are taller over here - in fact I think they are. Its a bit hard on my back cos I'm sort of twisting to do it but its the only way I can think of to do it. Public restroom I'd put some toilet paper on the seat if it was looking a bit iffy.
Bathing with my stoma - no way. I can't even shower with it cos of the difficulties geting dry but there is no reason not too if you have a well behave stoma.
02-26-2013, 06:29 PM   #55
2thFairy

My Support Groups:
I haven't tried to shower bagless either, anna. Even without eating anything for 8 hours, and Bob being completely still for most of that time, all it takes it me walking across the house and he will start going off.
02-26-2013, 06:36 PM   #56
annawato

My Support Groups:
Yes its amazing how you think you have a quiet time to change and off they go. Wake up time! Lets be annoying. A little bit like children.
02-27-2013, 07:51 AM   #57
Paddy Holmes

Very impressive solutions and the powerpoint presentation, amazing! I shall try to be a bit more adventurous and rethink my attitudes to being out in the world. At the moment I'm agrophobic and only take my dogs for a short walk, the home and that's me for the day. Travelling is an absolute nightmare! Thanks to all pof you for your time and help
02-27-2013, 10:08 AM   #58
2thFairy

My Support Groups:
EEK! Being agrophobic is tough. I hope you will be able to get out and about more. Baby steps, right? My heart goes out to you.
02-28-2013, 12:12 AM   #59
Jaano711
Forum Monitor

Hi paddy
Great to see you back again.
02-28-2013, 04:49 AM   #60
Paddy Holmes

Hi back to you Janno, how are things with you? Ours is such a rotten condition...one day you're coping fine than along comes Niagra Falls and you feel like hiding. I keep telling Cliff, my very patient husband, that perhaps we could have a TV in the loo, I spend so much time there!
Thanks for the kind sympathy regading the Agrophobia, I was always out and about before the Crohns was discoverd! Still, it means I'm not out shopping( although there's always ebay...)

Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Stoma Subforum » How do you change yours?