Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Stoma Subforum » How do you change yours?

02-28-2013, 06:24 AM   #61
2thFairy

My Support Groups:
Online shopping is the best!

My husband bought me a portable DVD player when I first started Remicade infusions. I ended up using in the loo a lot as well.

Total colectomy with ileostomy featuring Sideshow Bob since January 2012

"The colon seems an unlikely candidate for dramatic effect, but now and then it serves that purpose well." The Associated Press Guide to Punctuation
03-01-2013, 05:12 AM   #62
annawato

My Support Groups:
Thanks for the kind sympathy regading the Agrophobia, I was always out and about before the Crohns was discoverd! Still, it means I'm not out shopping( although there's always ebay...)
about ebay. I spent a fortune online when I was in hospital. None of it fits now since I put on so much weight.
Sorry to hear about your agoraphobia Paddy. It must be very difficult to live with. I can understand where you are coming from (a little bit). I'm terrified of having leaks in public. But sometimes I have no choice but to go out - then I just keep my fingers very tightly crossed. As Toothy said, baby steps.
which reminds me, do you mind being called toothy toothy?

you name it, i've tried and failed it! currently on- waiting to see whats new and reducing pred
temp. ileostomy reversed feb 2011, new ileostomy, nov 2012
4 resections plus removal of adhesions etc, recurrent intestinal abscesses
lyme disease, depression, sacroileitis, chronic pain and......Crohn's..........
03-01-2013, 06:19 AM   #63
2thFairy

My Support Groups:
I'm totally cool with being called toothy, Anna Anna.
03-01-2013, 06:36 AM   #64
Paddy Holmes

My Support Groups:
I can relate to the buying online and then having clothes that don't fit!!! Still, I take them to charity shops so someone gains in the end,hopefully.
Thanks for the kind thoughts, they're much appreciated. My Pc is my window on my world; when I'm out with the dogs I'm so focused on whether there'll be a 'mishap' that I don't take in my surroundings and am just waiting to get home.
You all make my life so much easier...thank you so much xxx
05-20-2013, 06:55 PM   #65
moseslawn

After my colon surgery I had a home nurse visit for several weeks. She changed my ostomy set up while I lay on the bed. The same thing when I visited my stoma nurse at the hospital. So, I have continued the practice of lying on the bed with the supplies beside me, and a wet warm facecloth.
I have however had to do a couple of emergency changes standing in public bathroom stalls. I also find the mirror confusing.
Leakage has been an ongoing battle, due to an odd shaped stoma. Never to the point of getting on clothes or bed sheets, but enough to cause odor issues. I use the elastic tape as a matter of reenforcement for the flange, and usually carry cloth tape as well.
At the moment I'm using the large Eakin seals with the mold able paste. This works fine if I'm able to empty the pouch often like at home, but if I'm traveling and have less frequent access to toilets I need to change the set up daily and run the risk of the unpredictability of odor from leakage.
Anyhow, it,s great reading of everyone's methods of dealing with ostomy issues. I find that I wear track pants more than ever for looseness and comfort, especially on flights and long car journeys. Less restrictive on the ostomy when seated.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Stoma Subforum » How do you change yours?