Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Depression and Crohns

01-21-2013, 02:41 AM   #1
mwkwmn
Forum Monitor

Depression and Crohns

I have been fighting Crohns for 20 years and had a good attitude until the last few years. I started getting very fatigued and no energy to do the everyday tasks we take for granted. After going to the hospital and getting admitted the doctors said that I had adrenal insufficiency due to longterm steroid use. I started getting depressed and very anxious after this onset and it has gotten to the point that I am struggling with getting through the day. I was started on lexapro and it was increased over time to 30mg/day. The anxiety is better but I am very depressed. I had low testosterone levels and they are giving me injections but I feel like they have helped but something is still not right. I was a very happy person full of life and energy and now I struggle with getting out of bed. I hate feeling this way and i am very ashamed because i know this is not my personality. I was wondering if anyone else has had this happen to them and if so what did you do to help the problem.
Adrenal insufficiency 2005
Blood clots 2006
Low testosterone 2006
Osteoporosis 2011

Meeds
Prednisone 7.5 mg
Lortab
Zoloft
Coumadin
Entocort
B 12 inj
Testosterone inj
Citrical with D
01-21-2013, 02:59 AM   #2
Dobermonster

My Support Groups:
Sounds like the position my mom was in several years ago. She saw a naturopathic doctor for the adrenal insufficiency and had huge improvements. When it was at its worst, she was very anxious and irritable, almost to the point of panic at times. I'll ask her about her experience.

Myself, I struggled with depression for years before the Crohn's diagnosis. I've noticed that since starting treatment it has improved. Some of what I've researched on the connection indicates that chronic malnutrition can play a big role. Have you had any vitamin levels checked recently?
01-21-2013, 03:02 AM   #3
mwkwmn
Forum Monitor

Yes my vit D and vit B12 were low and I started taking B 12 inj and Citrical with vit D.
01-21-2013, 06:57 AM   #4
Dobermonster

My Support Groups:
Depending on how long you were low, it may take a little while to feel the improvement, if that's the cause.

I'd like to also recommend light therapy. There's a lot of up and coming research on the effects of light and dark on wakefulness and psychological states, but to start off with, it has been shown to be effective (with minimal adverse risk). If you're in the northern hemisphere, like me, you might also be feeling the effects of reduce light levels which can exacerbate depression. The two most important factors that I've found in feeling good/energized after managing to roll out of bed is light and hydration - opening the blinds or turning on the full-spectrum light and having a tall glass of water or juice. Works better than caffeine and much healthier. This is my personal experience, but it isn't woo-woo, there is good reason to try these techniques with regularity.
http://www.psycheducation.org/depres...ghtTherapy.htm

If you are able, physical exercise will also help. I know it can feel to have a limited amount of energy, but even a 10 minute walk around the block once a day is more likely, over time, to add to your energy than detract from it.

You may have heard all these suggestions before, I don't know. I do know how the cycle of depression-shame goes, though, and any boost to your psyche will increase the chances that you'll be able to break that cycle.
01-21-2013, 08:19 AM   #5
mwkwmn
Forum Monitor

Thank you for your suggestions I will try anything at this point
01-21-2013, 09:00 AM   #6
StaceyQ

i feel very depressed, i have an appointment with my GI tomorrow to siscuss things and what they are planning to do. I am so fed up with life, If it was not for my kids i dont even think i would bother getting out of bed, let alone work full time.

You are not alone, i should imagine there is alot of other people here who feel exactly the same.

The constant pain does not help either, just another reason to sleep all day x
01-21-2013, 07:58 PM   #7
wildbill_52280

anxiety issues=essential fatty acids

depression=magnesium

im oversimplifying it a bit, but these two factors have a major effect on these particular issues.

i take magnesium citrate supplement called natural calm, but any mag citrate supp will do. other forms of magnesium arent absorbed nearly as well as this form.

your brain is made of 60% fat, you need about 45-65 grams of fat per day.
Efa's include polyunsaturated Alpha linolenic acid and linoleic acid.
01-21-2013, 08:35 PM   #8
Polaris

My Support Groups:
I know how you feel, mwkwmn. I'm glad you're getting b12 injections and taking vit. D. Both have really helped me. I agree with Dobermonster that light (or lack of) really affects my mood as well. I live in a fairly dark apartment, and with it being winter here, I get little light each day. My depression has increased, and my vit. D level went from 70 to 49.

I hope you can find little ways to improve your depression. That's all it takes, and of course talking about it.
01-22-2013, 01:06 PM   #9
SarahChoueiry

You are SO not alone with the feeling of depression. I hope this article helps! http://www.myjourneywithcrohns.com/2...nd-crohns.html
I wrote about why people with Crohns experience depression at times (not all but many) and shared stories of a handful of people with crohns and their experience with depression. Hang in there! the shitty moments will always pass ... just hard to see when in a dark place that i understand

Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Depression and Crohns