Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Imuran/Azathioprine/6-MP » Can anyone share their experiences ???

01-21-2013, 03:46 PM   #1
lovemyman

Can anyone share their experiences ???

Hi - im pretty new to this site so would appreciate some advice.
My partner has Crohn's. Was diagnosed age 13/14. Has been a big up and down with things over the years - he is 28 now and he has just had an operation to remove a blockage.
Unfortunately this didnt go to plan and now has a Stoma. This doesnt bother me. I love him anyway and we deal with it on a day to day.

The only issue is he has been on Azathioprine for well over 10 years now. I have read and been told this can reduce the chance of fertility in men and I already have fertility issues. Has anyone had the same problem ? His consultant says thats its down to the person, however my mum is in the medical profession and knows what I do.

I love my partner and just need to reassure him that everything will be ok as he worries about it.

Any advice, comments or views would be fantastic

Thank you all in advance x

Last edited by lovemyman; 01-21-2013 at 05:25 PM. Reason: help
01-21-2013, 08:27 PM   #2
hawkeye
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I have been on Imuran for 21 years and my wife and I had a little boy almost 2 years ago

Diagnosed since 1990
Current Medications: None currently. Was on Imuran (150mg/day) and 5-ASA (3000 mg/day) as maintenance meds prior to surgery
Surgeries: Left hemicolectomy 2014.
01-27-2013, 06:33 AM   #3
rollinstone

I have been on Imuran for 21 years and my wife and I had a little boy almost 2 years ago
Have you been in remission for the majority of the time? I'm starting imuran soon would like to hear some success stories haha
01-27-2013, 09:00 AM   #4
hawkeye
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I had pred early on in the diagnosis to get things under control, along with a hospital stay. I am on salofalk (5-ASA) as well, but the Imnuran is the more effective of the 2 in my opinion. I'vae had to go on a few stinnt of pred in the past 3 years for some flares, but haven't been on pred in the past year so I consider myself to be in remission for all intents and purposes for the most part.

I'd keep an eye on the weight based dosage., I was on 50 or 75 md/day for the longest time and put on weight and have a bit of a theory that if the dosage was adjusted upward as I got heavier the flares may not have happened, but that's just my theory. I haven't discussed it with my new GI yet
01-28-2013, 09:30 PM   #5
kh216
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
This study should reassure your partner:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11677195

This study was done in 2001 and it concluded that azathioprine did not affect sperm count; therefore, it should not affect male fertility.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Imuran/Azathioprine/6-MP » Can anyone share their experiences ???