• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Foliculitis common with humira?

I get a lot of issues with inflamed hair follicles, I brought it to my doctor's attention and he seemed to hint that it's not uncommon with humira.

Was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for how to deal with it. Some of them go away on their own others leave scars, I've had one on my chin for ages I think might need professional attention, it's about the size around of a pencil eraser and doesn't want to go away no matter what I try.

I had that a few times. I would get a wash cloth and soak it with hot water, as I could stand, put some white vinegar on it, and press it to in inflamed area. I did this twice a day and it really helped. Something my grandma told me to do! Oh, and I put hydrocortisone on it afterward too.

Guess I can try it. At this point for the one on my chin I've tried honey, turmeric, apple cider vinegar, aloe, neosporin, peroxide, alcohol, warm tea compresses, warm coffee compresses, but never warm vinegar so it only seems fitting, why not, but I think it might just be too late for that one to DIY.

I'll give it a shot on one of the minor ones too.

Oh, thank goodness, I'm not alone!! I started on Humira in October and just started seeing the bumps at the beginning of the year getting worse, especially around my chin/jaw line and the edge of my scalp. I didn't think about connecting the dots to the Humira. At least now I know and can talk to my doc about it and try the vinegar and hydrocortisone. I should visit the forum more often for these useful tidbits! Thanks :)

Oh yeah i had those omg it was painful, it happen when i first started humira. If you see any yake hot water on a rag and keep putting it on there. If tho it is so painful you will have to go the doctor. It stop happening to me after 2 months thank god

It didn't even occur to me that it could be my Humira! Seems I've had a bout of problems from that damn helpful yet annoying injection, grr

Update, tea tree oil has not helped because it is a sebaceous cyst and will need removal. Tea tree oil is effective on infections though, so I hear. It's helped keep a yeast infection in my arm pit in check, but needs to be watered down or it causes excessive dryness, irritation, severe burning, etc.

If you buy some for an infection I would suggest separating a small portion into another bottle and cutting it with water, it will last longer and have less side unpleasant side effects.

The most effective thing to do is probably prevention by cleaning pores effectively with something like lemon juice, citric acids and whatnot.

By the way i found the perfect fix for Folliculitis. Its called Chlorhexidine (Hibiclens) its around $13 at cvs and over the counter. try it out for 3-4 days and see. It works wonders for me. I swear on it at the advice from my GI and a dermatologist he knows.

When I first started taking Humira last year, I had so many bumps on my neck that drove me crazy. I tried lots of things (and even posted that same question on here) but one thing that worked was an acne body wash that I got at Sephora called Blemish Buffing Beads by Peter Thomas Roth. It's kinda pricey though, but it worked. I think you just have to try different things and see what works with your skin type.

I am the Crohnie in the house, but for several months my wife was having problems with her scalp. THREE goddamn times she went in to the doctor, a dermatologist and local practitioner, and each time they diagnosed faliculitis. They prescribed antibiotics. Months went by and it didnt go away.

So, every 6 months i travel to the mayo for my Crohns, and i made the wife see the dermatologist at the mayo. DUDE, it was fricking lice. We FREAKED. She nuked her head, we threw out pillows, damn well fumigated the house. We have two elementary school age boys so we assume they brought it home, but the boys and I were clean. My wife cried all day. Within days of treatment her "folliculitis" symptoms were 100% gone, and she is now clear of that nightmare.

We are still extremely angry at the failure to diagnose THREE times and have been considering legal action. For the love of God man, dont rule this out just because the doctors checked.

I have had folliculitis diagnosed before Humira, now after starting it I am curious to see if it makes things worse. It started as itchy bumps in my legs, diagnosed folliculitis, got worse, diagnosed infection caused by Staph Aureus and eczema. It is on all the time, at times it gets worse.
Cannot be cured by antibiotics. I use antibiotic cream with peroxide and cortisones that helps a little but it wont go away, my doc said just learn to live with it. I had Remi earlier this year, had to stop it but anyways, it seemed that it was actually helping my folliculitis/infection whatnot..

I had something similiar happen with Remicade. They tried normal antibiotics and topical ointments. They would work for a while and then it would come back. At the beginning of this month, they removed it surgically, graphed skin from my thigh to my scalp and put me on an intravenous antibiotic. My dermatologist has another patient with Crohn's Disease on Humira who lost her hair.

I erupted into itchy bumps in the small of my back immediately after starting Humira and the are now traveling one by one to other parts of my body: face, neck, upper arms. I went to my derm and she said she has seen this reaction with Humira before. She prescribed a benzoperoxide wash (OTC) and a gel with clindamycin. As I do with all new meds I read the package insert and it stated, as plain as day, "Do not use this medicine if you have Crohn's Disease or Ulcerative colitis!" I couldn't get anyone on the phone who knew anything about this but did get consensus that it was safe to use sparingly. I hope so because having zits at 66 is not attractive!

Found my answer I think. I believe I have Hydradenditis Suprativa. IDK if it's crohn's related, it can be caused by low white bloodcell count.

Not diagnosed by doctor but it's basically a textbook case after reading around. Limiting simple sugars, getting enough sleep, taking essential vitamins and doing whatever else you can for a healthy lifestyle seems to help prevent it.