• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

CT Scan

Saw My GI on Tuesday and they want to do a CT scan. Never had ones of these before.

Can people please tell me what it is like etc

xx

It is a quick scan, not like the MRI's that take an hour. Usually they inject you with a iodine solution in your vein via the IV. Sometimes they have you drink contrast. I had one done at the ER the other day and it was qiuck. I however did NOT drink any contrast. I have issues with it so I just did the IV iodine. It is pretty simple, just that you are getting zapped with quite a bit of radiation.

Saw My GI on Tuesday and they want to do a CT scan. Never had ones of these before.

Can people please tell me what it is like etc

xx

Hi StaceyQ, first good luck with the CT scan. I would consider them one of the "easiest" tests to go through when dealing with IBD's. I had three different ones done and the scan all took a matter of 15 to 20 minutes, if that. The one the Ihurt was talking about involves the dye and contrast that you drink, the other one is the CT enterogrophy (spelling) that is where you drink a contrast which is not as bad when you start but after the 3 cup I felt so sick and had really bad diarrhea, however that doesn't happen with everyone, then they put radioactive dye into your veins and scan you. This one was really odd feeling because when the dye enters your blood stream your entire body feels like its on fire and then its over. Either way to me at least there is no "prepping" involved like the capsule and colonoscopy. Hope you get great results.

Oh yeah, that is true about the IV injection. you feel this real warm sensation throughout your whole body for like 3 minutes or so. You may also feel it down below in your lady parts, I did, and it feels like you are peeing on yourself, but your not, it is just a feeling. But that goes away after 3 minutes or so.

Hi StaceyQ, first good luck with the CT scan. I would consider them one of the "easiest" tests to go through when dealing with IBD's. I had three different ones done and the scan all took a matter of 15 to 20 minutes, if that. The one the Ihurt was talking about involves the dye and contrast that you drink, the other one is the CT enterogrophy (spelling) that is where you drink a contrast which is not as bad when you start but after the 3 cup I felt so sick and had really bad diarrhea, however that doesn't happen with everyone, then they put radioactive dye into your veins and scan you. This one was really odd feeling because when the dye enters your blood stream your entire body feels like its on fire and then its over. Either way to me at least there is no "prepping" involved like the capsule and colonoscopy. Hope you get great results.

I had a CT scan last week, in the UK. Took around 20 minutes. The exact process depends if they are looking at your small or large intestine. Mine was the colon, the only uncomfortable thing about the test was being "inflated" from my rear end! If you've had surgery in the past, apparently a little pain is common, but it wasnt bad.

I had to stick to a low residue diet for a few days before hand, but was back to normal as soon as I left the hospital.

I think a small bowel CT is a little different, maybe easier as there is no "inflating" required....

Anyway, good luck, it'll be fine.

lhurt, Its funny you mentioned the lady parts thing cause that is where I felt it the most, I thought my woohoo was gonna burst into flames. Really hope I didn't offend anyone.

CT scans aren't too bad. The ones I've had, you just have to chug a bunch of bad tasting liquid and then get an IV before they put you in the scanner. The IV injection feels warm and kinda cool lol

Yeah, the radiologist told me about that feeling before she injected me. At first I felt that feeling where you felt like you had a fire going in your entire body. Then came the peeing my pants feeling and all that heat down there!! lol It was really a weird feeling.. :)

lhurt, Its funny you mentioned the lady parts thing cause that is where I felt it the most, I thought my woohoo was gonna burst into flames. Really hope I didn't offend anyone.

My experience has been you drink a prescribed amount of barium the day prior to the test. The morning of the test you drink a bit more. When you arrive at the test site, just before the test you consume the remaining barium. Then they start an IV to push the contrast. The contrast they use at my local hospital gives a weird burning sensation and strange taste in your mouth. You lie on a table, the machine pushes you in an and out of what looks like a giant donut. In about 15 minutes your done. The test is read, a report generated and sent to the ordering DR.

I've never known anyone to drink barium the day before the test. Did they have you do a bowel prep instead, perhaps?

Typically for an outpatient, if you are having an abdomen-pelvis CT, you will drink contrast (one bottle in our department) the night before and again about 30 min prior to scanning the morning of your appointment if it is an earlier appointment. If your appointment is in the afternoon, you'll drink the first bottle 4 hours prior and then the second 30 minutes prior.
If you are having a CT enterography, you drink a different type of contrast (Volumen for us) every 20 minutes for 3 bottles total and then scan.
We don't require a bowel prep, although the barium does cause some people to have issues after drinking. I usually recommend going straight home as opposed to running errands. The exam typically only takes about 15 minutes from start to finish.
The IV contrast is preferred for both types of scans in addition to drinking the contrast. The oral outlines the intestines (both small and large) very nicely and the IV contrast goes everywhere the blood goes (yes it does give most people some very strange feelings for a few seconds due to the large rush of iodine). Together, the radiologist is able to clearly see your anatomy and what is going on in and around all your organs and intestines.
Hopes this helps! I'm a technologist. I hope you have a good experience with your CT!

thats the bit i am worried about when i had a colonoscopy the air being put in hurt a hell of a lot and they had to stop . Can they do it without do you know, its the large bowel they are testing x

afidz

Super Moderator
The IV contrast (if that is what you are talking about ) does not hurt when its injected, like everyone said you just get the earm feeling. The contrast that you drink does not hurt either for the most part, but some people to get queasy after a while, and like also said, there might be some "D" involved. but as far as tests go, its really easy

Easiest test ever for me. The injection makes me feel warm and fuzzy for about 30 seconds then it's done. The solution is one of the more palatable I've had. I took diluting orange juice and they let me put it in and it went easily with no side effects other than having never peed so much in my entire life. This CT scan was checking for lymphoma though, so it may differ if they're checking out your bowels.

I had a CT as an inpatient again last year with contrast only and it was fine too.