Share Facebook

02-19-2013, 12:25 PM   #31
xX_LittleMissValentine_Xx

My Support Groups:
Wow! I can't believe your mum has done that many marathons!!
I aim to be able to run a mile one day but I know its going to take a long time to get there!
Funny how just as we have been talking about this my sister has decided to go for a run! She is probably a bit fitter than me but doesn't go to the gym or anything, she does workouts from youtube videos! I would be interested to see which of us is fitter since I have been going to the gym though!
I am looking forward to going on a bike ride It will be nice on a nice day. I should do more exercise bike at the gym. So far I find it hard to do more then 5 mins :S
Infliximab

Past:
Pentasa
Prednisolone
Azathioprine

My blog: http://hollysbloggyness.blogspot.com/
02-19-2013, 12:40 PM   #32
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
5 minutes on the bike is a good start! Keep going with it, you'll get a little better each time. When I started trying to do more cardio, I could not even manage 3 minutes on the bike without getting completely winded. It's taken awhile to build myself up, but I can now do a 30 minute hill program on the stationary bike - I huff and puff and sweat and sometimes want to stop, it's very tough, but I keep going and can pedal the entire 30 minutes. I definitely want to go on bike rides outside when the weather gets nicer so I'm working on building myself up to be able to do so. I did 7 miles on my exercise bike in about 35 minutes yesterday - on a hill program! That's new for me, I hadn't gone further than 6 miles before, so I'm still getting better and stronger all the time. You just have to keep doing it and I promise you'll see improvements.
02-19-2013, 04:02 PM   #33

My Support Groups:
Yeah your right, just keep at it
It probably doesn't help that I start the bike after already being on the treadmill and rowing machine. I plan to swap it all around at some point though.
I know this is probably a silly question, but how do you know when you are putting on muscle or toning up?
I am slim so its kinda hard to tell... I wish I was still at uni and had access to the body composition machine.
What exercises to people find ok for the tummy? I've realised thats pretty much the only thing I'm not working on really, and its probably the bit of my body I dislike the most!
02-19-2013, 04:14 PM   #34
Price
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Your tummy doesn't really need working out so long as you're using it to balance weight during lifts, but if you're not then I suggest looking into hanging leg raises or crunches. Those two are probably the best.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQds_kvhEHo < Leg Raises
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKg_cdwq9l4 < Crunches

And you won't really be able to tell between "toning" and putting on muscle, although you'll be able to stop a drop in bodyfat%. Don't worry about getting too muscular though because women don't really have enough testosterone to get bulky.
02-19-2013, 04:22 PM   #35
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Swapping it all around will keep things from getting stagnant - if you do the same thing in the gym every time, your body can get used to it and then you won't get as much benefit from your workout. So definitely switch things up at times.

As for how to know when you are putting muscle on or toning up - it took me at least 6 months to notice any difference. I am probably a more extreme case as I was really sick for a year and then on steroids for 7 months, so I lost almost all my muscle mass. I had to spend about 6 months just building myself back up to being where a normal average human would be at. I started working out in about May of 2010, and it was in about January 2011 that I was at a clothes store, trying something on, and in the changing room mirror I noticed that I had arm muscles! That was the first I had noticed that I had noticeable muscles. So, it may take awhile, but you should notice it when it happens.

For reference, my hubby doesn't have IBD nor any other illnesses, and he's been working out probably about 2x per week since late October 2012, and he said he's recently noticed that his arms look a little bigger. So that only took him 3 or 4 months of fairly casual exercise to notice a difference. I think it takes a bit longer for us IBD'ers (or at least it took longer for me) to put on noticeable muscle.

And as for abdominals exercises, I find doing the plank position is pretty easy on me. You put your forearms on the ground and lift your body like you're going to do a push-up, and just hold the position. It's tougher than it sounds! If you can do it for 30 seconds, that's pretty good. I can't always hold it for 30 seconds but I try to do it for that long. Here's a link with more info on the plank:
http://exercise.about.com/od/abs/ss/abexercises_10.htm
02-20-2013, 05:35 AM   #36

My Support Groups:
Thanks for the link guys!
Pike don't worry, I don't want to look like a body builder! I am naturally curvy so I don't think I will lose that. I guess I just want to know that what I've got is a good ratio of muscle and fat.
My main thing with the exercise is I want to feel healthier and fitter, anything else that comes with it is a bonus!
02-20-2013, 05:38 AM   #37

My Support Groups:
I just realised I described myself as slim in one post and curvy in the next!
I am small, but curvy
02-21-2013, 11:37 AM   #38
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
My main thing with the exercise is I want to feel healthier and fitter, anything else that comes with it is a bonus!
That is exactly the right attitude to have. That's basically my attitude too - I want to make my body stronger and healthier on the inside. Any improvements to the outside are just icing on the cake. And no, you definitely won't look like a bodybuilder - my understanding is that those scary-muscular female bodybuilders all take a lot of steroids (and I don't mean pred!).

How's it been going with working out at home this week? Have you found exercises that you like that you can do at home?
02-24-2013, 05:19 PM   #39

My Support Groups:
Didn't get on too well at home! But I did manage to get to the gym again on friday.
I do seem to find it hard to exercise at home. I just want to sit on my bum all day!
I have a horrible day tomorrow - interview in the morning and appointment with the surgeon in the afternoon :S
02-24-2013, 05:43 PM   #40
Price
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Good luck at the interview!

And yeah it's a bit of a pain trying to motivate yourself at home to do exercise, when you go the gym there's other people there so it just feels like more of a group activity, even if you don't speak to anyone

And yeah to go with what cat said, you'll never look like a female bodybuilder unless you roid The ones that do at the gym I go to you can actually smell the roids on them, it's horrifying!
02-25-2013, 10:43 AM   #41
Ya noy

It's very difficult for women to put on that type of muscles body builders have. You'd have to lift weights for hours a day and even then, it isn't something that happens "accidentally".

You really don't have to worry about it.
02-25-2013, 12:08 PM   #42
lost kitten

My Support Groups:
If you want a quick, cheap workout at home on days you can't get to the gym, I'd recommend buying a set of resistance tubes/bands. I got some a couple of years ago when I was doing rehab for my knee and have just started using them again after finally putting on some weight.
There are so many exercises you can do with them, on pretty much every part of your body. Just using them the last month has toned my arms and legs right up.
02-25-2013, 12:50 PM   #43
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
LMV, interview? As in, job interview? Best of luck with it!!

I had one of those "sit on my bum" days yesterday. Didn't leave the house, didn't even change out of my pajamas, just played video games and watched TV all day long. A very lazy Sunday. Don't let a lazy day wreck your fitness plans though - I'm headed right back to the gym today. I hope you can get back to the gym soon too! Good luck with the interview & appointments today!
02-26-2013, 05:11 AM   #44

My Support Groups:
Yes it was a job interview! I don't think it went very well but my appointment with my surgeon did.
Don't worry I'm heading back to the gym today!
I feel I have a bit of a cold coming on, and I woke up with bad stomach pains last night, but I'll just take it slow and see how it goes.
Lazy days are good once in a while
03-01-2013, 02:26 PM   #45

My Support Groups:
I've had a good couple of work outs at the gym
I'm going to mix up my activities now so I do them in another order and focus on other things. So far I have really excelled in the rowing machine which I always did second, and by the time I got onto the bike I was too tired to do more than 5 mins. So I started on the bike today and did 10mins, then 10 on rowing machine and could only do 5 on the treadmill! So it seems atm 25min cardio is about my max. I would like to try and get this up.
I'm now going to start my work outs with 10mins on the bike, then do the treadmill second to try and build that up - more running, and finish on the rowing machine as it is my strongest one.
03-01-2013, 04:26 PM   #46
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
That sounds like a good plan to mix things up. Are you doing any weight lifting in addition to the cardio? Maybe try the weights every other time you go. I think we talked about this in another thread, but as you know, corticosteroids can rob you of muscle mass and I believe bone density too - and weight bearing exercises can build muscle and bone. I'm probably a bit biased since weight lifting is my favorite form of exercise. I had to force myself to start doing cardio so it sounds like we're kind of opposite. I did an entire hour on the exercise bike on a hill program yesterday though so it definitely is possible to build up your ability to do cardio! The most I had done in the past was 45 mins so I feel really good about being able to do an hour. Anyway, I'm getting off-subject. I'm glad you've had some good workouts! How often are you going to the gym?
03-01-2013, 04:39 PM   #47

My Support Groups:
Wow that's great you got up to an hour!
Yes I am doing some weights too but not as much as cardio.
I'm still keeping up twice a week. I'm probably getting to the point where I could do more but I don't want to push it or get bored.
03-01-2013, 05:27 PM   #48
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
I started at 2x per week too, and I found that I got bored with that but in the opposite way - I needed to do more! So I went to 3x per week pretty quickly and stayed with that for quite awhile before I moved up to 4x and now 5 to 6x per week. But you know your body best, so just listen to it and it'll tell you if it wants more exercise (mine pretty much begged for it!). My body is quite happy now that I'm working out almost every day. I didn't think I'd have the time or energy to do as much as I do, and I did have to build up to it, but I'm really happy being able to work out so often.

Maybe you could try working out at home one day a week in addition to going to the gym 2x per week? You mentioned not really having motivation or being in the right mindset to work out at home, so maybe use this as an opportunity to push yourself a little bit and get to where you can work out at home too. Personally, I like doing yoga at home, because I feel like I look silly when I do it, so I'd rather do it where nobody can see me. And if I get good enough then I might have the confidence to do yoga where other people are around.
03-02-2013, 05:17 AM   #49

My Support Groups:
Yeah I might start having a think about what I can do at home. What are those stretchy tube things with handles on the ends called? I bought one of them once but never used it! I wonder where that is.
Do you work full time Cat?
I'm worried that my gym sessions will go out the window if I get a job. It will be my first full time job as well so it will take me a little while to get used to it. Plus I will have to change my membership because I only have off peak at the moment.
03-02-2013, 10:31 AM   #50
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
I do work full-time. I'm lucky because there is a little gym in the basement of my workplace. So when I first started working out, I would go spend my full lunch hour down in the gym, then eat my lunch at my desk when my workout was over. I still do that sometimes. Other days, I go to the gym right after work (I'm not a morning person so I don't like to work out before work!). And sometimes I work out at home - I have a stationary bike at home, and a Wii Fit game that has yoga moves on it. If you work full-time, you can still work out regularly. I work 40 hours a week and I can still find an hour or so each day to exercise. It's tricky sometimes but it's definitely possible!

As for the stretchy thing, is it a resistance band? I have one that my physical therapist gave me. You use it to add challenge to certain exercises. I googled and came up with this:
http://www.realsimple.com/health/fit...997/index.html
03-02-2013, 11:22 AM   #51

My Support Groups:
Yeah that looks like them! I wonder where they are.
I'm thinking if I get a job I will work out straight after work. I might have to join a different gym though depending on which job I get. I don't want to think about it too much though, I might not get the job!
03-02-2013, 11:29 AM   #52
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Fingers crossed that you do get the job! Is there a gym anywhere near where your potential workplace is? Who knows, maybe there's a gym in the building. I didn't realize there was a gym in my workplace until after I got hired there - they gave me a tour of the building on my first day of work and that's when I first learned that there is a gym the basement and that it's free for employees to use. So maybe you'll luck out and have a gym in your workplace too!
03-02-2013, 01:16 PM   #53

My Support Groups:
Yeah it would be good if there was! I'm really hoping I do get one of them though!
I had an interview for it on Thursday and I felt it went really well. Plus I had to do some online tests before hand and I got 99% on the maths one! I was so surprised. So I kinda feel like I have already proven myself to them. If I get that one it will be about a 30 min drive home on the motorway, in the opposite direction to the gym I go to now.
Also its a temporary job, so it depends if I get a 6 or 12 month contract as to how keen I will be to change my membership financially! Anyway, its not worth thinking about it now.
I've been working on an activity I have to do for another company before my interview on Tuesday. If I get that one, it will be a 6 month contract and I will probably have to go and live in london for that time so I definitely wouldn't be able to use my gym!
03-04-2013, 10:17 AM   #54

My Support Groups:
My plan worked!
By doing my strongest machine last I was able to get up to 30mins of cardio!
I'm very pleased with myself!
I'm going to carry on building up the amount of running I'm doing on the treadmill... Thats my plan for now! I don't really have any other goals right now, other than building up my routine to include the cross trainer as well.
03-05-2013, 11:35 AM   #55
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Yay LMV, I'm glad you were able to meet a fitness goal! Do you have a long-term goal, other than just generally get fit & healthy? That's pretty much my long-term goal, to get as fit and healthy as I possibly can so that I can fight my illnesses with everything I've got. In the short-term, I had wanted to be able to ride the exercise bike for at least one hour, and I met that goal last week. Now my goal is to keep doing that, and I did it again yesterday - so far so good! Superficially speaking, as a kind of silly goal I'd kind of like to have nice 6-pack abs. I know that one is still a long way off (although I can tell I do have nice ab muscles hiding underneath the belly flab, ha ha). So anyway, yeah, it's always good to have goals, no matter how silly or difficult they may be.

When do you hear back about the job? I hope they don't make you wait too long while they decide! Good luck!!
03-05-2013, 02:40 PM   #56

My Support Groups:
I had another interview today (the London one) who said they would let me know by Friday, and I don't know when the lasts week one will tell me. I'm rly nervous about it because its the most hopeful I have been about getting a job so far. I would genuinely be really happy with either job.
I don't know about long term goals, to be honest I never thought I would get this far!
I suppose I could aim to do the race for life which is 5K, but I don't really like running! So I don't know.
I found my resistance bands but they are not what I thought they were.
They have foot holes and a handle on the other end, so I think they are for doing stomach exercises but I have no idea how to use them!!
03-05-2013, 03:56 PM   #57
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
I'm sure if you googled or looked on youtube, you could find some exercises to do with the resistance bands. I have one resistance band that my physical therapist gave me a long time ago, but I only know how to do my physical therapy exercises on it.

If you don't like running, then definitely don't make that one of your goals. Fitness goals should be fun and something you want to do. Do you have a bike? I have some bike goals for myself - I'd love to ride around each of the lakes in my city (one is really big though so that would be a very long ride, like I'm guessing about 30 miles). I'm going to try to ride around the smallest lake first and see if I can do it. I'm going to make it fun and will take scenic photos along the way and stuff like that. Also just a general goal, I'd like to take our kayak out more this year than we did last year (we have a 2-person kayak). We did 3 kayak day-trips last summer and it was so fun. We brought our dog and packed picnic lunches and took scenic photos. So I think I'd like to go kayaking more this summer.

So yeah, that was kind of rambling, but I think fitness goals can and should be fun so that it keeps you wanting to stick with it.
03-06-2013, 09:50 AM   #58

My Support Groups:
Yeah your right it should be fun...
I might enjoy running once I can do it!
I don't have my own bike but my mum never uses hers. Apparently it has a puncture though. But my sister's bf is a bike mechanic so I might ask him what I need to get for it.
Me and my sister have been thinking about going on a cheap holiday to the New Forest and take our bikes with us. There are a lot of cycling routes around there. Depends if I get a job or not though!
In the meantime though I'm just going to carry on trying to build up my endurance for cardio. Maybe once I can happily do 10mins on each machine ill start to do longer on one, like focus on the bike or the treadmill more.
Also I just bought some other resistance bands for training at home. Only about 6 on amazon with postage.
03-06-2013, 01:19 PM   #59
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Fingers crossed for you about the job! It seems like it's taking forever for you to hear back, I'm getting anxious on your behalf! I'm not sure what the New Forest is, is it actually a forest? If so, that sounds nice and peaceful for biking through. We have an arboretum in the middle of my city, it's basically just a huge park with a lot of trees and not much else. But you can walk/drive/bike through it. I tried biking through the whole thing last year but I only made it about halfway through before I got too tired. This year, I'm going to try to bike through the whole thing (it's on the route that goes around the small lake anyway). Anyway, I'm rambling again. Good luck with the job, and let me know how you like the resistance bands and if you find good exercises to do with them. I just have one and I only know how to do a few things with it, so it doesn't get much use.
03-06-2013, 02:11 PM   #60

My Support Groups:
Haha, yes its a real forest! Its also heathland and it has villages in amongst it as well. Its a national park, and a popular holiday destination in the UK. You get New Forest Ponies wondering around. And as I said before miles and miles of cycle tracks. Its probably about 50 miles from where I live.
I've had a look for some exercises to do with them... Can't wait for them to arrive so I can try them!