Share Facebook

03-06-2013, 02:17 PM   #61
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Oh, ponies wandering around, that sounds very cool! All we really get around here is wild turkeys running around, and they're kind of dumb & ugly. We get the ocassional deer too but nothing close to ponies. That forest sounds really cool, I hope you get to take your holiday there and ride your bike all around.
03-06-2013, 02:20 PM   #62
xX_LittleMissValentine_Xx

My Support Groups:
Thanks! I hope so too! Obviously its very weather dependant but I have found a holiday park which has a gym and an indoor or outdoor swimming pool! So even if it rains all week we could still have an exercise holiday!
It would be something to look forward to.
Infliximab

Past:
Pentasa
Prednisolone
Azathioprine

My blog: http://hollysbloggyness.blogspot.com/
03-06-2013, 04:41 PM   #63
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
That sounds perfect! I haven't been swimming in ages, that sounds really fun. I hope things work out so that you can get the job AND go on that holiday.

How's it been going with you going to the gym? Are you finding it gets a little easier each time (generally speaking)?
03-07-2013, 08:34 AM   #64

My Support Groups:
Yeah I think I am finding it easier, I can definitely do more now thinking back to how I was on that first session! Its really good to be able to see the improvements because It makes me want to keep going and keep improving
03-07-2013, 10:22 AM   #65
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Yay, I'm glad you're seeing improvements! That's very encouraging and I hope it continues. Are you still going to the gym 2x per week?
03-07-2013, 12:16 PM   #66

My Support Groups:
Yes I'm still going twice a week,
thinking about taking it up to three but I'll see how I get on with the resistance bands at home first.
I just got rejected from one of the jobs the one in London.
Still haven't heard from the other one, the interview was a week ago now.
03-07-2013, 04:28 PM   #67
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Aw, sorry to hear you didn't get the job. Fingers still crossed for the other one! As for going to the gym 3x per week, if you're thinking about it then you're probably ready. When I first started working out, I was going 2x per week for maybe the first 2 or 3 months. Then I felt like I really wanted to be doing more, so I moved up to 3x per week and that went well. I felt good & satisfied at 3x per week for a long time, probably about a year. Then more recently I moved up to 4 days, 5 days, and now pretty much every single day I get some form of exercise. I love it, I think I'm getting addicted to the endorphins, ha ha. Anyway, just listen to your body, it'll let you know when it's ready for 3x per week.
03-08-2013, 10:52 AM   #68

My Support Groups:
Had another gym sesh today and felt really good
And my resistance bands arrived so I'll have a go at them in the next couple of days
The best thing is this -
Me and my sister were talking about which sorts of exercises we do for different muscles. And I was showing her the action of what I do for triceps with free weights. And she said, wow your arms look really toned, let me feel them!
yay, I have toned arms!
Must be all that rowing machine.
03-08-2013, 02:28 PM   #69
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
That's great! I remember when I first noticed muscle tone in my arms, I was just shocked that I could actually see muscles! And back in October when the hubby and I finally joined a proper gym, he told me that he wanted to start working out because he wants to get "awesome arms" like mine. It's kind of amazing to see all your hard work start to pay off physically like that. I'm glad you could make your sister jealous, ha ha.
03-10-2013, 01:27 AM   #70
sid

Gym is a great idea..its been 3 months for me now and I am much more fit, and gained some muscles..and I am loving it...its now a part of my routine for life.

Crohn's since Jan 2011.

No meds.
Diet as per ayurveda.
Vitamin D and B12 shots.
Currently experimenting with Probiotics, starting 2016.
And a large joint mad family, thus stress cant touch me.
03-10-2013, 05:11 AM   #71

My Support Groups:
I think its been almost two months for me now
03-10-2013, 11:02 AM   #72

My Support Groups:
I tried my resistance bands work out today. Its actually a lot harder than I thought, but I think that's mainly because I'm not used to it yet.
But it left me feeling quite shakey so I think it will be good to do on non gym days.
This is the workout I used http://www.fitsugar.com/10-Minute-Resistance-Band-Workout-26140096 as well as a few other exercises.
03-10-2013, 11:46 AM   #73
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
I find I'm that way too, I feel like I'm getting pretty fit but if I try a new type of exercise, it's much harder the first time than I anticipate! It's like my muscles aren't used to doing specifically that so I'm kind of a mess the first time, ha ha. I usually just do weights and cardio regularly, but sometimes I try to do some yoga too. And if I'm doing yoga for the first time in a long time, I find that it's difficult and I get quite sore afterwards! But if I do it again shortly thereafter, it's much easier. So hopefully the next time you do the resistance bands, it should go much easier for you.
03-10-2013, 12:36 PM   #74

My Support Groups:
Yeah I'm sure I will get used to it!
Its also because they are strange things I think, like it feels funny to not be able to put my legs out because my arms are stopping them. I'm so glad I didn't get stronger bands!
03-11-2013, 05:23 AM   #75

My Support Groups:
Owie! My leg muscles are really feeling it after that workout yesterday! I reckon its all those squats. I wasn't used to doing those even without the resistance bands!
I'm going to put off the gym until tomorrow now
03-11-2013, 06:41 AM   #76
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Ouch! My leg muscles are kind of sore today too. I rode the bike yesterday but then I had to keep going up & down the basement stairs and I think that's what made me sore! Feel better soon!
03-13-2013, 09:24 AM   #77

My Support Groups:
Ahh... The gym was hard today!
I was doing well up until about half way through my workout. When I was only 3mins into my rowing machine I wanted to stop but I kept it going up to 10mins (did the last min really slow coz I felt like I was going to be sick!)
Today was the first time I thought "I don't like going to the gym!"
But I felt quite happy driving home afterwards!!
03-13-2013, 10:35 AM   #78
Beach
Forum Monitor

Yeah, I used to get myself pumped up, going to the gym, working out. Then I suppose the obvious dawned on me, working out hurts! Now to keep me going I tend to set times I'm going to exercise and stick with it. I'll also mix up the routines to keep it interesting. This morning I mixed things up, instead of lifting weights I only did body resistance exercises, push ups, leaning against a wall squatted down for a minute, etc. It was good. It isn't as difficult, but will keep me in shape till I decide to return to the old routine.

Not sure if this courts in the exercise section, think I'll be exercising my mind more frequently also. Bought a few summer books. I'm doing what I can to hurry up this cold overcast weather to move on!
03-13-2013, 12:49 PM   #79
sid

great to know so many members are into gymming now. I feel great the days I am into gym..especially when I come out tired and all sweat. I love that feeling.
03-14-2013, 10:41 AM   #80
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
LMV, have you been back to the gym since that bad experience? I hope you keep up with it, don't let one bad day throw you off course. I would have quit a hundred times over by now if I let one bad day derail my fitness plans! I don't think I've ever thought "I don't like going to the gym" but I've thought things like "Why am I doing this again?" and "This is just too hard." You just have to keep going and push yourself through it, though. For the vast majority of the time, I love going to the gym, and fortunately I don't have too many days where I have those thoughts, and when I do I just need to remind myself why I do what I do. Because I have an illness and I need to feel like I'm physically fighting it. Because I now know the value of my health and I try every day to hold on to it and to make it a little bit better. Because I'm not going to let my illness win! And on really bad days, when even those aren't the most compelling of arguments, I just focus on how good I'll feel when I'm all done with my workout. Like you said, you felt great driving home, so remember that feeling for the next time you have a bad day. I always feel better after a workout, always, no matter how crappy or tired or un-motivated I feel beforehand.
03-14-2013, 12:33 PM   #81

My Support Groups:
Cat, I plan to go back tomorrow!
It was only while the exercise was feeling hard that I was feeling that! But tbh I'm not all that motivated to go tomorrow.
But I will.
Maybe if I do well tomorrow I will feel better about it all. I don't know if I'm starting to get bored of the routine though. I think I need a goal to motivate me but I don't know what...
03-14-2013, 12:42 PM   #82
sid

Cat, I plan to go back tomorrow!
It was only while the exercise was feeling hard that I was feeling that! But tbh I'm not all that motivated to go tomorrow.
But I will.
Maybe if I do well tomorrow I will feel better about it all. I don't know if I'm starting to get bored of the routine though. I think I need a goal to motivate me but I don't know what...
hey dont give up....u'll get used to it..i know initially you feel not so motivated after some time but if you continue you'll get over that feeling and get habituated to gym..and thats really great for you in the long run.
03-15-2013, 02:04 PM   #83

My Support Groups:
I went back to the gym again today. It was hard again! At exactly the same point I wanted to stop again. But I still kept it going.
Haha, I saw a girl from school there who was in the year below me. She was rly annoying bk at school and always went on about being allergic to strawberries. "I'm allergic to strawberries, they bring me up in a rash" at the time I had an anaphylactic allergy to peanuts so wasn't particularly sympathetic to her rash.
Anyway I suddenly saw her at the gym having her induction. I was laughing to myself coz I imagined her telling the instructor about her allergy to strawberries on her medical form!!
My Mum and sister found that quite funny as well.
I'm wondering if I found working out hard because its my time of the month? Anyone else get that?
03-15-2013, 02:20 PM   #84
Price
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I can't say I get that, but some gym days are just harder than others, usually because of diet or lack of sleep. Like on a good day I can squat 70kg, on a bad day I have to drop the weight a bit, or just do less reps.

There are more factors to it too, stimulants like caffeine can help boost your efforts in the gym and it's also easier when your insulin is higher. Not sure that's the right way to word it, but about an hour after eating is optimum.

Got dared to drink 8 pints of milk the other day actually, the next gym day was really easy, but it wasn't nice drinking that much milk at all lol
03-15-2013, 03:00 PM   #85
Beach
Forum Monitor

Aw, that's wonderful that you made it back into the gym, giving it a go! I hope you are able to keep at. I have a friend that has tried gyms off and on for a few years. It never did stick for him. He liked the idea of working out, but staying with it was hard. Here of late though he seems to have finally found a workout he really enjoys, karate. It's unreal, I've never seem him so enthused for exercising before. He not only goes to the regular classes during the week, he has been known to drive an hour for a weekend class. I'm really happy that he found the workout that motivates him. He's looking great. A little beat up and blue of late - the class has begun contact hitting, and sometimes wonder if he has become the instructors demonstration subject, but he's hanging in there.

I have to admit, I fell flat with my exercises today. This isn't like me. Today is suppose to be leg day, and while I'm pulling back doing body weight resistance workouts, which are easier and lets the body rest, it just didn't seem right. I'll try again tomorrow. Probably. I have tennis summer tennis hitting coming up & keep telling myself a nice rest is allowed!
03-15-2013, 03:08 PM   #86

My Support Groups:
Thanks beach and price
I don't think I would have done as well with my fitness if it wasn't for the advice and support I get on here!
Interesting about the caffeine. I did know it was a stimulant. Sometimes If I have a coffee before the gym I think, oh this will help for the gym. I defo didn't have any before I went today, I can't remember if I did on wednesday or not.
03-15-2013, 03:58 PM   #87
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
These are all interesting points, particularly about the insulin. With my GERD, I usually wait 2 hours minimum after eating to hit the gym. If I go an hour after eating, I will likely vomit, that's just too soon for me after eating. So I usually work out 2 to 3 hours after eating, and I have noticed that if I am closer to the 3 hour range, I'm pretty much running on empty. I can still do my workout, but I feel empty and like I need to dig deeper to get the energy to finish, and I am starving by the end! Personally I avoid caffeine (migraine trigger) so that's not an issue for me, and I also wouldn't even drink one glass of milk (lactose intolerance).

LMV, I'm glad you're keeping up with it, even though it's been hard the last couple of times. I hope it gets easier again soon! Keep going, don't give up! That's too funny about the strawberry girl, ha ha. But I'm confused, you have to fill out a medical form when you join the gym over there? Here, or at least at my gym, all I had to fill out was stuff like name, address, phone #, and credit card info so they can bill me every month. They asked nothing about medical stuff. Although there was probably something in the paperwork about how I agree to use the gym at my own risk & I can't sue them if I have a medical issue or hurt myself or whatever. Stuff like that is pretty standard here in the land of lawsuits.

Beach, don't you start slacking off now! Just kidding, you're entitled to a rest day, but don't let this slacking thing become a habit. And what you described with your friend, I think that's why I've been afraid to look into martial arts classes. I'd love to learn to defend myself but I don't like the idea of getting beat up in the process of learning, especially with so many iffy body parts (hip & gut mostly), plus I bruise easily.
03-15-2013, 04:32 PM   #88

My Support Groups:
Yeah I can't remember exactly what the forms asked but its the pretty standard stuff like do you have a pacemaker, heart condition, diabetes etc. And they also took my blood pressure as well.
03-15-2013, 05:00 PM   #89
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Wow, only my doctor ever takes my BP! My gym asked no medical questions like that whatsoever, and they certainly didn't take my BP either. I don't think any gym here takes BP readings! Usually just doctors and sometimes pharmacists if you ask them to. The gym just wants to know how to take your money and that you won't sue them and that's about it. Maybe it's a doctor-patient confidentiality thing, like the gyms here don't want to know your health history because they're not beholden to keep it a secret the way your doctor is? I don't know.
03-15-2013, 05:11 PM   #90

My Support Groups:
Hmm... I don't know either. I wouldn't have thought gyms here were much different from there in that they are just a money making thing.