Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Stoma Subforum » Think there's an abscess at my Stoma :(

01-24-2013, 11:00 AM   #1
littlefreebird

My Support Groups:
Think there's an abscess at my Stoma :(

So the last time I had a leak I discovered a fistula beside my Stoma. I leaked again today for the 2nd time ever in 2 years... I think there's an abscess about a cm below my fistula so the abscess is directly under my Stoma- I have to lift the Stoma to see it. It's a red slightly raised lump which is light red it has pus and blood all over it.

My Stoma nurse is going to look at it in the morning but I am really gutted. I've just booked my first holiday since my surgery and things were really looking up for me now it seems up be just one thing after another.

Has anyone ever had these problems with their Stoma and what is the next step? Would antibiotics clear it up?
Thanks all

Crohn's since 2000 (aged 10)--> full colon & rectum removal 2011.
01-24-2013, 12:18 PM   #2
Nyx

My Support Groups:
I've had 2 abscesses beside my stoma. What I did was take some gauze, put the numbing polysporin on it and placed it over the abscess (mine were always painful so the numbing was wonderful). Then I put the flange over that and taped the edges if I needed to with tegaderm. I didn't need to take oral meds (which I hate) and the abscess cleared up in a few days if I caught it early enough. Hope this helps!

Crohn's Diagnosis: May 2006
Current meds: none
Surgeries: Colostomy, December 2009

"Never trust a fart." Jack Nicholson, The Bucket List

Oscar is awesome! Loving my life with my stoma (with a hint of poo)!!

01-24-2013, 12:30 PM   #3
2thFairy

My Support Groups:
Oh no!! I hope you can get this straightened out quick!!

Total colectomy with ileostomy featuring Sideshow Bob since January 2012

"The colon seems an unlikely candidate for dramatic effect, but now and then it serves that purpose well." The Associated Press Guide to Punctuation
01-24-2013, 01:16 PM   #4
Terriernut

My Support Groups:
I think Cindy had a very good idea there for healing her abscesses. Definetely need to get on top of it ASAP Hannah. I'm sure you can get it sorted quickly with antibiotics.

DX Crohns Feb 2011, symtoms 1997, 2009 and then WHAM! Emergency surgery for perforated sigmoid, fistula through fallopian tube, septic and near dead: Colostomy-Stan was born 22/12/10. Another parastomal hernia, his name is Ollie and he is MONSTER size!
4gm Pentasa
6MP 50mg
01-24-2013, 03:18 PM   #5
SusanB

Hi Honey
I am in the hospital for this very thing on IV antibiotics. You should be too! Aren't you in pain?

Hugs
01-24-2013, 07:08 PM   #6
littlefreebird

My Support Groups:
No I feel great had bad pains 2 days ago which I think was a blockage but I have felt great and the site feels tender to touch but very minimal pain there.

So the abscess won't definitely turn into another fistula I was panicking that this was the start if fistula number two.

Thankyou for the tip about the gauze I'll try but the abscess is directly under the Stoma so I wouldn't be able to tape around it properly.

Good to know I'm not the only one. I wonder what they're going to do tomo.
Thanks all! X
01-24-2013, 07:26 PM   #7
Gav

My Support Groups:
Sounds like Cindy's advice could really do the trick. If not, as others have said anti-biotics may well help. All the best with getting rid of the abscess!
01-24-2013, 07:58 PM   #8
littlefreebird

My Support Groups:
I just don't really understand why I have an abscess.

So is it common enough to get abscesses now and again?

Do they come and go?

If they are left is that when they can turn into fistulas?

Does the crohns make the abscess?

Sorry for all the questions.
01-24-2013, 10:33 PM   #9
annawato

My Support Groups:
i don't know what causes the abscesses - did it form from skin that was damaged from output or taking off the wafer too quickly? i.e. did you have a sore there that maybe healed on top but left a pocket underneath?
Sorry I can't be of more help. i hope it clears up quickly and isn't a fistula forming from underneath. Fingers crossed for you,
Anna

you name it, i've tried and failed it! currently on- waiting to see whats new and reducing pred
temp. ileostomy reversed feb 2011, new ileostomy, nov 2012
4 resections plus removal of adhesions etc, recurrent intestinal abscesses
lyme disease, depression, sacroileitis, chronic pain and......Crohn's..........
01-25-2013, 07:15 AM   #10
littlefreebird

My Support Groups:
Just back from the hospital the Stoma nurse got a surgeon to look at my Stoma who didn't think I had an abscess because there was no blood and pus there but I was trying to explain there was lots there yesterday. He said I'd only need antibiotics if I had a temp etc which I don't so that was it.
Waiting on my GP ringing do that I can ask if I can start the azathioprine which I'm meant to start if the pentasa hadn't made a difference which it hasnt.

Had a bit of a cry in the car Im just feeling a bit sorry for myself today
01-25-2013, 07:19 AM   #11
littlefreebird

My Support Groups:
That's a good point Anna because the skin under my Stoma has always looked angry and raw from being directly under the fistula.
01-25-2013, 07:40 AM   #12
Terriernut

My Support Groups:
Hugs to you Hannah. I think you should take your temp 3 times a day every day for a while. I also think you should use a mirror to keep an eye on things down there.

It could very well be not an abscess, but bad irritation. Dont let them get you down hun.
01-25-2013, 11:02 AM   #13
Nyx

My Support Groups:
I still think you should give the gauze and polysporin a try...if there was pus and blood, then there's something there whether it's an abscess or not. Sorry the dr didn't have better news for you...hope things clear up for you!
01-25-2013, 11:32 AM   #14
littlefreebird

My Support Groups:
Forgot to say earlier she said my skin around Stoma was awful said it was contact dermatitis I had to get a prescription for scalp lotion. Put the scalp lotion on the flange of the bag. Leave for 15mins to crystallise then stick on my tummy. Haven't tried this yet she said it don't effect the adhesion of the bag. We shall see!
Will let u know how I get on she said its so strong u can only do it twice.
01-25-2013, 12:38 PM   #15
bigtruck

Good luck littlefreebird. hope they get it cleared up soon. Keep a good eye on your temp. Thinking off you.
01-26-2013, 08:30 AM   #16
Misty-Eyed
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Sorry you are going through this!! Could it be that the abscess had already burst and so had drained itself? Either way it normal to feel down about these things. I hope things pick themselves back up for you ASAP and that you can enjoy your holiday!

'You can't change the past but you can ruin the present by worrying about the future.'

Diagnosed with Crohn's colitis aged 9, 1992.

Panproctocolectomy and terminal end ileostomy October 2011.
01-26-2013, 09:28 AM   #17
Susan2

My Support Groups:
I hope that both your abscess and the skin clear up so that you can go off and enjoy your holiday.
Currently on no medications, but under constant gaze of very caring GP, with annual blood and other tests.
01-27-2013, 08:24 PM   #18
annawato

My Support Groups:
Mercurochrome (sp?) is a good one for infections under the wafer - It helps dry out the skin too. My wound nurse said to only use the 1% solution and only sparingly cos it contains mercury but it worked really well for me when the ulcers around my stoma got infected. Betadine would probably work well too - not sure of brand names in UK.
And don't apologise to any of us for being down, we all understand. Hope it all gets better soon.
Anna

Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Stoma Subforum » Think there's an abscess at my Stoma :(