Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Stoma Subforum » Pregancy with crohns/colostomy

01-26-2013, 02:22 AM   #1
jessica22

My Support Groups:
Pregancy with crohns/colostomy

I have a colostomy and wanted to know what is pregnancy like with one.im not at the moment but someday would like to have a child
01-26-2013, 02:46 AM   #2
afidz
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Hello Jessica22!
I do not have a stoma, but I did do some research for you. It seems like the general consensus is that you can safely conceive and carry a baby. I searched several websites, but here is the one I found most helpful, if you scroll about halfway down, you will find the answers you are looking for. Hope this helps!
https://www.homestylepositive.com/living-stoma-1
Ankilosing Spondylitis
Inflammatory Arthritis

Failed meds:
Humira
Remicade
Asacol HD
Cimzia
Methotrexate
01-26-2013, 02:51 AM   #3
jessica22

My Support Groups:
Thanks alot it was really helpful
02-01-2013, 08:21 PM   #4
persephone300

I was wondering this...cos I'm overweight and the surgeons are blaming my shoddy new stoma on that - becoming more inverted, shrinking etc - should I be pregnant, wouldn't my belly bloat more, and my stoma disappear all together?

Taken numerous drugs all had side effects/hasn't worked so had subtotal colectomy 19th Oct 2012.

Probs with inverted shrinking stoma, daily leakage, burns, pain, miserable. Revision March 2013 and much better quality of life, but occasional leakage, burns and a stoma that refuses to stick out every day is the norm.
02-01-2013, 08:47 PM   #5
jessica22

My Support Groups:
Check out the above link you might find it helpful
02-06-2013, 07:38 AM   #6
Mrs800

Thought I'd share that I've just had a baby with a Stoma. I did have to have the colectomy whilst 20 wks pregnant but the later half of pregnancy was fine. I found it easier to change my bag with a solid stomach whereas now its squishy :-). There can be problems with baby squashing your pipework but as they grow it seems to correct itself. Any Qs ladies, is be happy to answer.
02-06-2013, 09:21 AM   #7
2thFairy

My Support Groups:
I had a hysterectomy in my early 20s, but I do appreciate your answer Mrs800. Thanks!

Total colectomy with ileostomy featuring Sideshow Bob since January 2012

"The colon seems an unlikely candidate for dramatic effect, but now and then it serves that purpose well." The Associated Press Guide to Punctuation
02-06-2013, 09:23 AM   #8
2thFairy

My Support Groups:
In fact, Mrs800, if you feel open to it, it would be great if you would put some tips on pregnancy with a stoma in the Stoma Support: Good advice for you! thread.

http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=45979
02-06-2013, 09:30 AM   #9
Mrs800

I'd be happy to 2thFairy, I'll have a think and post some.
02-07-2013, 12:07 AM   #10
afidz
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Thanks Mrs800! I didn't know anyone on here that had dealt with that so I didn't know who to turn to.
02-09-2013, 01:42 PM   #11
jessica22

My Support Groups:
Thanks Mrs.800 I feel confortable considering having a baby
03-01-2013, 06:53 PM   #12
Charuz

I have a Kock Pouch and have had it for over 30 years. I have two children, both born through a vaginal birth. It took a while for me to conceive my second child, but I was in my 40s at the time. Toward the end of the pregnancy emptying the pouch would be a bit more difficult--it was not as easy to locate under the belly and the pressure on the pouch and stoma were not helpful, but I'm assuming women who do not have stomas have other type of issues of discomfort. I loved my pregnancies and never felt better. It's all good.
03-03-2013, 08:47 AM   #13
annawato

My Support Groups:
Charuz, its interesting that you said you loved your pregnancies and never felt better because I was exactly the same. I felt healthier and more energised and more peaceful than at any other time. My usual aches and pains disappeared and although I then got the usual pregnancy discomforts that was ok.
Anyone else fell really well when pregnant?

you name it, i've tried and failed it! currently on- waiting to see whats new and reducing pred
temp. ileostomy reversed feb 2011, new ileostomy, nov 2012
4 resections plus removal of adhesions etc, recurrent intestinal abscesses
lyme disease, depression, sacroileitis, chronic pain and......Crohn's..........

Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Stoma Subforum » Pregancy with crohns/colostomy