Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Calling all canadians

01-26-2013, 04:47 AM   #1
sickinlk
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Calling all canadians

hi hopefully ill be expat in Canada in the summer.
me and my husband a 2 kids.
we want to move to Edmonton but we'll go were the jobs are.
we were also thinking Saskatoon as theres a lot of irish there.
anyway, i have no clue about the Canadian health system.
my GI said that they have a very strong GI system with lots of research being done.
any advise for me.
i asked to come of remicade as im afraid of the cost of it.
i don't pay for it here as i have a medical card that covers all my health costs even prescriptions.
however the remicade has put me in remission and i might relapse if i come of it and where would i be then.

wish i could predict the future....huh
ju
01-26-2013, 08:17 AM   #2
AlliRuns
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I live in Ontario and the GI clinic that I go to is amazing; but I have also lived in Newfoundland, Nova Scotia and New Brunswick (All Atlantic Canada) and never had good experiences(It took 7 years, when I moved to Ontario to get a diagnosis), but that doesn't mean that everyone in Atlantic Canada or rural parts of Canada have bad experiences. I would think Edmonton or Saskatoon would have good GI programs. When I got referred to the GI clinic in my current city, it took a week to get an appointment, but in other places it took much longer to see a GI doc.

My Remicade is covered by my insurance through work. In Ontario there is a program called the Ontario Drug Program if your insurance doesn't cover the cost of speciality drugs like Remicade. I don't know if the other provinces have similar programs. I would expect that they do.
01-26-2013, 08:28 AM   #3
sickinlk
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
AlliRuns
thanks for the info. very informative

ju
01-26-2013, 08:47 AM   #4
AlliRuns
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
No problem. Canada is a great place to live BTW, can't think of anywhere else I would rather live. Lots of Irish roots in Newfoundland too (that's where I grew up), but medical and jobs are lacking.
If you do plan to move to Edmonton or Saskatoon, bring a parka! Their winters are VERY cold.
01-26-2013, 01:55 PM   #5
sickinlk
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
thanks im preparing for severe winters. im buying winter stuff in the sales now for next year.
I cant wait to get there.
ju
01-26-2013, 02:19 PM   #6
shamrock15
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Ontario is pretty good for the remicade - I live in Ottawa and am only about a 10 minute walk to my clinic. The doctors can be really good once you get in to see them. That can be a problem though. I would suggest you bring as much as you can in files with you to see if you can speed up the process. Getting a general practitioner can be an issue, and he needs to set up your referral. If you determine where you are going to settle down, maybe see if he can get in touch with a doctor in advance to speed the process? Hopefully you will get some medical insurance quickly when you land though to cover your costs.

How's Donegal these days? Was there back in '94 with my family at Port Salon. Beautiful country...
01-27-2013, 06:23 AM   #7
sickinlk
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Donegal is beautiful and Ill miss it terribly but im looking forward to proper seasons and more opportunities for my family and a better standard of living.
I was at a wedding in port salon in the summer. the bay is just gorgeous. im heading to a job expo in Dublin in march and hopefully ill know more about where im going then.
thanks for the tips. im taking my big huge file with me.
shamrock, have you irish roots? why the name.
ju
01-27-2013, 07:28 AM   #8
shamrock15
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
My mom was born (Sloan) on Islandmagee across the bay from Larne. Still have relatives in Ballymoney and a couple other small places. Really enjoyed my visit there. On my dad's (Fitzgibbon) side we have some strong Irish roots as well.
01-27-2013, 01:58 PM   #9
sickinlk
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
the irish are never done emigrating.

Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Calling all canadians