Share Facebook

02-01-2013, 11:59 PM   #31
Gianni

My Support Groups:
Sorry for the large size of the photo but I made a large amount of a green juice. Wasn't exactly a recipe that I normally use. I threw some swiss chard cucumbers, kale, romain lettuce, apple, pear, carrots, red cabbage, and I think that's it. It was actually really good. Hope you guys did the first day

JUICING! click here!
02-02-2013, 07:11 AM   #32
Beach bum

My Support Groups:
Well here we are at day one of the juicing challenge.

I had half a pint of nice green juice for breakfast - apples celery cucumber spinach and lemon, which gave me a good energy boost for the day.
Then when I got home from work I had a pint of orange and carrot to build up my vitC before I went out for curry and cider night, to celebrate my friends return from Oz.

If cider counts as fruit juice then I will be way over my 20 oz's today !?
Juicing every morning.
Taking vitamin D spray
Multi vits & iron
And Probio 7 probiotic.

Being given a "drugs rest" from Aza - 17/9/14
02-02-2013, 08:04 AM   #33
tzvia
Forum Monitor

i want to do it! Question: if you take a pic with your cell phone, how do you post it on here?

Current meds: Entocort, Questran
Past meds: Prednisone, Humira

02-02-2013, 08:13 AM   #34
Grumbletum

My Support Groups:
My breakfast juice today was a couple of oranges, large carrot, a lemon, an apple and some spinach, plus have a teaspoon of magnesium citrate. Off to the shops to stock up on more fruit and veg :-)

Previous: Prednisolone, Mesren, Omeprazole, Infliximab, Azathioprine
Current: Pentasa, Librax, Warfarin
Helen x
02-02-2013, 09:04 AM   #35
lisakuney

My Support Groups:
I just found a Breville 850Watt juicer on Amazon for $99. They apparently sell reconditioned, factory warrantied/guaranteed juicers at a significant discount. Subtract the $50 gift card I got for Christmas, and I got a juicer for $49! I am really excited to be able to start juicing.
02-02-2013, 11:57 PM   #36
Gianni

My Support Groups:
i want to do it! Question: if you take a pic with your cell phone, how do you post it on here?
I just email the photo in my phone to myself and then upload it to imageshack and use the Direct Link URl and paste it into the "insert image" option at the top of the text box.
02-02-2013, 11:57 PM   #37
Gianni

My Support Groups:
Had some more of the same juice I made yesterday. Still tastes wonderful, Hope you guys are doing well
02-03-2013, 07:45 AM   #38
Grumbletum

My Support Groups:
Loving this challenge and feeling much brighter in the mornings. My green juice for today: half a cucumber, handful of spinach, two kiwis, and an apple.
I find if I just put the spinach leaves into the juicer they are just going through whole. But I whizzed them up in the food processor before putting them in today and that worked better.
02-03-2013, 07:55 AM   #39
Beach bum

My Support Groups:
I find the trick is to sandwich spinach between a couple of harder things like apples, and run it on the slower setting.
I have also ran them through more than once before now to get the most out of them, it is one of my favourite things to juice.
02-03-2013, 07:59 AM   #40
Grumbletum

My Support Groups:
Thanks, Beachbum. I'll try that. I love the juiced spinach too. It's funny, I don't really like eating cucumber, but juiced it's really nice.
02-05-2013, 02:55 PM   #41
Beach bum

My Support Groups:
It's all going very well so far. I have been drinking loads of juice but over the weekend I ate lots of crap too , so I am going to try to be a bit more sensible this week.

Instead of digging round in the cupboards tonight for a forgotten box of Christmas biscuits or chocs after dinner. I made a pudding juice that tasted just like apple pie.

Half a mug of apple , lemon and ginger, topped up with warm (not boiling so as to preserve the nutrients) water and finished with a sprinkle of cinnamon on top.

Wow yummy.
02-05-2013, 05:27 PM   #42
Grumbletum

My Support Groups:
Mmmm, that sounds good. My juice this morning: an apple, some broccoli stems, bunch of spinach and a small beetroot. It was a bit muddy in colour and tasted really nice.
This juice business every morning is making a difference. I've got a lot more energy during the day.
02-05-2013, 05:35 PM   #43
CrohnsChicago
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Count me in again Gianni!

At least one juice per day is a good challenge, and an easy one for beginners that aren't ready to jump into the deep end just yet.

I plan to jump in on the challenge this Friday the 8th aka payday I always enjoy seeing how juicing works for others. Keeps me inspired and motivated to do it

Plus I am flaring again so I hope this will help get things back under control a bit before my docs throw me to the heavy meds (which is pretty much inevitable but I'd like to make the transition an easier one) lol.
Past Meds:
Prednisone/ Entocort / Flagyl
Current Supplements:
B12 Shot (1cc/mo) / Multivitamin / Vitamin D (1000iu) / Calcium (1200mg) / Omega 3 Fish Oil (4800mg)
Additional Info:
Anemia/Borderline Anemia - whole life
Generalized Anxiety Disorder - 2009 (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, mindfulness meditation)

02-06-2013, 05:57 AM   #44
Grumbletum

My Support Groups:

Juice for today. 2 apples, celery stick, small beetroot, carrot, handful of spinach. Really yummy. Might make some more.
Have a good day, y'all.
02-07-2013, 06:09 PM   #45
Gianni

My Support Groups:
Hope everyone's challenge is going well. I did a red head juice today .. MY fav I've been doing alot of green juices so I needed that sugar I may even do a watermellow fellow tomorrow

by the way grumble, I need you to teach me photography... My pictures don't come out quite as nice...
02-09-2013, 02:18 PM   #46
CrohnsChicago
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
This will technically be my 4th day.

The first 3 days I did morning 20 oz. smoothies (blueberry, raspberry, strawberry, banana, soy or almond milk) for breakfast.

Today I juiced a 20oz. Carrot, Spinach, Ginger, Cucumber, Green Apple beverage for myself for lunch .

I feel like my body really needed this for the moment even if just once per day.

Looking forward to keeping this going again
02-11-2013, 09:42 PM   #47
Tiaspins

I'm getting a juicer! I won a used Champion on ebay, she said she would mail it today, can't wait
02-13-2013, 01:52 AM   #48
Gianni

My Support Groups:
I hope everyone is still on board. I'm telling you, I am feeling good. Clear head, feel motivated, waking up ready to go!
02-13-2013, 09:36 AM   #49
lisakuney

My Support Groups:
I am having trouble with the taste of these juices...I'm nearly gagging. Suggestions?
02-13-2013, 10:18 AM   #50
CrohnsChicago
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
What drink recipes are you using?

Green apples help to sweeten the juice up a bit.

Lemon and ginger are good refreshers.

Cucumbers can help to water down the drink a bit making the taste a bit more tolerable.

I am having trouble with the taste of these juices...I'm nearly gagging. Suggestions?
02-13-2013, 11:35 AM   #51
Beach bum

My Support Groups:
I find adding ice to juices really helps, especially very veg heavy ones.

And yes adding a third of a lemon and/or knob of ginger will perk up any juice.
While a couple of apples or a quarter of a pineapple are good sweeteners.
02-13-2013, 04:36 PM   #52
Tiaspins

Just curious as to what juicers everyone here is using?
02-13-2013, 04:52 PM   #53
KWalker

I know I haven't been contributing but I just thought I'd let you guys I've been doing this still and replace my between breakfast-lunch snack with a big smoothie/juice!

Previous Meds:
Prednisone
Remicade
Humira
Methotrexate (oral)
Methotrexate (injections)
Cipro
Flagyl

Current Treatment:
200mg Simponi, Psyllium
02-13-2013, 05:39 PM   #54
Beach bum

My Support Groups:
Just curious as to what juicers everyone here is using?

This is my juicer.
Takes whole or large pieces of fruit and veg - no pre-cutting needed.
Very easy to clean, just rinse off the parts most days then give it a good soapy wash at the weekend when I have time.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-HR18...d_sim_sbs_kh_1
02-14-2013, 06:51 AM   #55
Beach bum

My Support Groups:
Been trying very hard to keep up with the challenge and have mostly succeeded I would say.

I haven’t been feeling 100% the last few days, not sure what is going on but it has made me even more determined to be full of juicy goodness for the rest of the month.
I woke up yesterday with a pretty nasty cold sore in and on my nose – just in time for my romantic dinner date tonight oh joy – so I guess I must be run down, not enough sun mayhap?

Today I did a massive juice first thing, some spinach based green juice and some beetroot based purple juice. I even took an extra bit to work so that my boss could try, she has been saying that the juice doesn’t always look very appetizing (mostly the green ones which she said look like something from Star Trek) but she was really pleasantly surprised at how they both tasted and even called the green one her favorite – another convert? Huzzah!

02-16-2013, 03:51 PM   #56
Tiaspins

My Champion Juicer came! It was used. It was in pretty good shape, there was a bit of food stuck in the corners of the mesh screen that wouldn't immediately scrub off. So I boiled some water in my tea kettle and poured that over the screen, scrubbed with a tooth brush and repeated that a few times and it came clean. Haven't actually used it yet as I just ate lunch and am full.
02-16-2013, 05:28 PM   #57
CrohnsChicago
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Still going strong after 11 days.

20oz Breakfast berry/almond milk/banana smoothies (with some greek yogurt or protein powder) on the mornings i work and need something on-the-go

small Veggie drinks in the evening and 20oz ones on the weekends. Found out this week that my hemoglobin levels dropped so I am juicing more kale and spinach and adding a vitamin c pill or extra carrot each day I drink them to help absorb the iron better.
02-24-2013, 10:59 PM   #58
CrohnsChicago
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Tomorrow marks day 20 of the Challenge for me! .

Starting the day with a green tea, banana, blueberry smoothie and finishing off the evening with a spinach, carrot, cucumber drink

I plan to continue the one smoothie/juice per day for as long as I can. I don't see an end to it for me right now, I have gotten some good benefits from it especially with regards to energy levels. I can use all the energy I can get right now to get through this upcoming month.

Hope everyone else is going strong!
02-25-2013, 06:52 PM   #59
Grumbletum

My Support Groups:
Yep, me too. It's such a great way to start the day. I make and drink about half a jug of juice in the morning and that's breakfast now. I used to have eggs and/or bacon but my tum like the juice much more. It lasts me til 11am, when I have fruit, yoghurt and muesli at work.
It's become such a part of my morning routine and only takes 5 minutes to whizz up in the morning, I'm pretty sure it's a permanent fixture now :-)
03-06-2013, 08:08 AM   #60
Jam300

My Support Groups:
I know i'm late but I started this challenge yesterday, had carrot, ginger and romaine (which didn't seem to agree with my juicer very well).

Just about to juice my day 2 and think i'll try one of your recipes Gianni!
Currently undergoing re-assessment.