• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Abscess

Hi, I had an abscess for about 3 months (3 different g i docs told me it wasnt) anyway I was put to sleep just under two weeks ago to have it cut out, I have been going to the nurse every day since to have it packed, when I went today she said she thought it was coming back and perscribed me some anti biotics, I would just like to know if this can happen and if so what was done, I really dont want to go back to the hospital with it, thanks

Hello,
I'm afraid this can happen and happened to me! Two weeks after surgery it came back again. I too took antibiotics. Hopefully it will help.
Where is your abscess?
Unfortunately they can reoccur and surgeries may not always be successful. I just had my second surgery on mine.
Talk to your GI about it coming back and maybe try to get some sort of scan done so they can see if there are any fistulas causing the abscess/infection. They may want to do another examination under aesthetic to see how it has healed. The said they would do that to me fairly soon after my surgery but they didn't do it until about 10 months later in the end which was my second surgery I mentioned.

Hi and thanks for the reply, the abscess is at the top of my thigh, I had a mri before the procedure and there was no fistular thank god, I had a general when they first removed it so hopefully they had a good look then aswell, Im just fed up as its just never ending, there is always something, the anti biotics seem to be helping and Im not due back now until Monday so will see then, anyway hope yours is all healed now, thanks x

Hi, well its come back, the doctor wanted to drain it again two weeks ago but I refused as didn't want to have a general again so I was given three lots of antibiotics, they haven't really helped and I go back on the 20th of this month and I will see what they suggest, I will listen this time! With Crohns its just one thing after another, and thanks for asking x

Hey namesake :)
I'm sorry to hear it's being so persistant :-( Unfortunately they often seem to be judging by the posts of fellow sufferers. I hope the docs can come up with a solution for you x

Hi Christie I have recurrent one on my groin, unfortunately it's thought mine is communicating with the upper part of my rectum. Hope you get sorted soon.

Well Im booked in on the 17th April to have the procedure done again as it is not going, they are also sending me for another mri to double check its not a fistular, which I am hoping it isnt, just want it gone now as it is leaking everyday.