Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » SCD and Paleo Diets » SCD / Paleo / GAPS Support for February 2013

01-28-2013, 11:39 AM   #1
Charleigh
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
SCD/Paleo/GAPS Support for February 2013

A few days early, but I am ready for a new thread
Enteral Nutrition
01-28-2013, 11:42 AM   #2
Charleigh
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I made great Ranch...

1 cup homemade mayo
1 cup full fat canned coconut milk (the SCD safe kind)
2 tsp apple cider vinegar

I added the following to taste. Sorry, I will measure next time.

garlic powder
dried dill
chives
ground mustard
sea salt
pepper

It was good Very good
01-28-2013, 11:44 AM   #3
Charleigh
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I was also thinking about KWalker and his suggestion of using Pinterest for recipes. I opened an account and am trying to figure it out.

If you are on the SCD/paleo or similar diet and want to be friends on Pinterest to share recipes just message me and I will attempt to figure out how to add you.
01-29-2013, 08:22 AM   #4
Charleigh
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
E took his first SCD safe probiotic supplement yesterday. I am anxious to see how this changes things. Wish us luck
01-29-2013, 03:52 PM   #5
KWalker

Wow, for some reason I thought I was tagged in the January support thread so I never replied to this. Is the SCD mayo hard to make? I would love to make ranch sauce because it would really open up options because I could take regular meats and just dip them to change it up.

Previous Meds:
Prednisone
Remicade
Humira
Methotrexate (oral)
Methotrexate (injections)
Cipro
Flagyl

Current Treatment:
200mg Simponi, Psyllium
01-29-2013, 04:59 PM   #6
Charleigh
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Wow, for some reason I thought I was tagged in the January support thread so I never replied to this. Is the SCD mayo hard to make? I would love to make ranch sauce because it would really open up options because I could take regular meats and just dip them to change it up.
Do you have a decent blender? The homemade mayo rocks. It opens a ton of dressing and sauce options. We make ranch, honey mustard, etc. Also, it is really good mixed with salsa (tastes like sour cream and salsa mixed). I make it out of light olive oil and it really isn't difficult. I can give you tips if you want to try it. Just let me know
01-29-2013, 05:36 PM   #7
KWalker

Yes, I have a very good blender.
01-30-2013, 09:38 AM   #8
Charleigh
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Yes, I have a very good blender.
Mayo is pretty easy, really. Once you get the hang of it you will love it. In the bottom of your blender put a whole egg, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp dry mustard, 1/4 cup olive oil, 2 Tbs apple cider vinegar or lemon juice (or 1 Tbs each ~ that is what I do). Let these ingredients sit for about 30 minutes to get to room temp. Measure one cup olive oil in a different cup/container. The glass measuring cups with a pour spout are perfect. Do not pour the one cup into the blender yet. This where it gets tricky ~ if you have a lower end blender, put the blender on high. With my vitamix, high is too high. So, unless you have a vitamix, blendtec, or a similar very high speed blender high should be fine. Once it is on high, very slowly drizzle a steady stream of the olive oil (the one cup you measured) into the blender while it is blending on high. It should take about 60 seconds for you to drizzle the olive oil. If you dump, it will not work. If you end up with a small layer of oil on top of the mayo, that is okay. When you are done you can simply stir it into your mixture. I put the end product in a mason jar and label it. Let me know how it works.
02-01-2013, 02:17 PM   #9
Charleigh
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Just bumping
02-01-2013, 03:30 PM   #10
KWalker

Ugh, I've been so busy lately
02-01-2013, 03:32 PM   #11
Charleigh
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Ugh, I've been so busy lately
No, that is okay. I wasn't bumping for you specifically. Just in general, so it doesn't get lost somewhere. Hang in there!
02-02-2013, 01:51 AM   #12
carolhew

My Support Groups:
How long dose the mayo stay fresh? Also do you think you could use a Cusinart mixing wand?

My sister sent me the book "Eat Well Feel Well" so I have been reading up on SCD. I just ordered "Breaking The Vicious Cycle"

Not ready to commit just yet but getting closer.

Currently taking Humira 40 mg every 2 weeks and Azathioprine 150mg daily. Humira is going to be weekly soon.

Crohn's Dx June 2011, primarily in the TI some in the colon

Past meds: Entocort, prednisone and Pentasa.
January 2012: stricture found in terminal ileum, balloon dilation
Remission as of January 2014!
02-02-2013, 10:00 AM   #13
Charleigh
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
How long dose the mayo stay fresh? Also do you think you could use a Cusinart mixing wand?

My sister sent me the book "Eat Well Feel Well" so I have been reading up on SCD. I just ordered "Breaking The Vicious Cycle"

Not ready to commit just yet but getting closer.
It is suggested that you consider the expiration date the same as the expiration for the eggs you use. I try to use my freshest eggs for mayo. The mixing wand? Hey, it is worth a try! I have heard of people using similar tools. Let us know if it works for you.

The book is great. It is easy to read and it makes sense. I wasn't sure about the diet either (from just internet reading) but then I read the book and it was so clear how this method/diet could help.
02-04-2013, 07:41 AM   #14
Charleigh
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I found a better bread recipe. The batter made the best pancakes ever.

Bread (Paleo, Gluten Free, Grain Free, Gaps)

The pureed cashews and unflavored gelatin help add structure to this bread. I store the bread wrapped in a large piece of parchment paper in an airtight container for up to 2 days at room temperature or for 4-5 days in the refrigerator.
Inspired by Elana’s Pantry
Makes one 7 1/2 x 4 1/2″ loaf

For the dough:
1/2 cup cashews (I prefer to use soaked and dehydrated cashews)
1 1/2 cups almond flour
2 tablespoons coconut flour
3/4 teaspoon unflavored gelatin (I prefer Great Lakes or Bernard Jensen)
1/2 teaspoon Celtic sea salt
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
4 large eggs
4 tablespoons unsalted butter or coconut oil, melted
1 tablespoon honey (I used clover)
2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar

Directions:
Place cashews and 1/4 cup water in a small bowl and let soak for 30 minutes.

Preheat oven to 350ºF and adjust rack to middle position. Butter a 7 1/2 x 4 1/2″ glass loaf pan. Pour cashews and water mixture into the bowl of a food processor. Blend until smooth, scraping down the sides a few times to ensure all cashews are pureed. Add almond flour, coconut flour, gelatin, salt, baking soda, eggs, butter, honey and cider vinegar to the cashew mixture. Process until smooth. Pour batter into buttered loaf pan and bake for 30-35 minutes, until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes. Run a knife around the outer edges of the bread and then invert bread onto a cooling rack and remove from loaf pan. Serve.
02-04-2013, 11:08 AM   #15
Pentasa
Banned

Here's a couple recipes I recently made which were good

Zesty Shrimp-Avocado Omelet
2 omega 3-enriched eggs
1 T olive oil
1 T chopped scallions
1 T chopped tomatoes
1/2 c small shrimp
1 tsp dried dill weed
1/2 tsp black pepper
Guacamole Fiesta

Cook an omelet and fill it with the scallions, shrimp, tomatoes then the dill and pepper. Fold in half and top with guacamole fiesta.

Making guacamole fiesta
3 ripe avocados
1 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
1 jalapeno pepper finely diced, destemmed, deseeded

Mash avocados together with a fork or potato masher until smooth, then mix the rest and stir until well mixed.

-------------------------------------

Omega 3 mayonnaise
1 whole egg
1 T lemon juice
1/4 tsp dry mustard
1/2 c olive oil
1/2 c flaxseed oil

Put egg, lemon juice, mustard in a blender for 3-5 seconds. Continue blending and slowly add oils. Blend until the mayo is thick. Refrigerate and it keeps for 5-7 days.

Veggie Dip
1 c Omega 3 mayonnaise
1 tsp dried dill
1/2 tsp garlic powder
Pepper to taste

Just mix the ingredients with a spoon. (I've been going through raw vegetables like crazy with this dip)
02-05-2013, 04:14 PM   #16
Charleigh
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
It seems like E has settled in at 82 pounds. 82 is within the healthy weight range for his age and height. At his lowest, he looked bad, but he really doesn't look unhealthy at 82 pounds. Before he got sick he was around 90-92 pounds, so I was hopeful to get back up to the starting weight.
Should I just relax and consider this the new normal? Any thoughts? Thanks ya'll
02-05-2013, 04:20 PM   #17
KWalker

That's great news! I look at it like it's better to be a little smaller but healthy than the previous weight and not healthy.
02-05-2013, 04:33 PM   #18
Charleigh
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Thanks for your thoughts. I was thinking about keeping a food diary and counting calories, but (as you know) I already spend so much time focused on feeding him and cooking special foods. I hate to add to my workload. Trying to calculate calories with everything being made from scratch ~ what a nightmare! So I plugged his current weight into a pediatric BMI calculator and he is in the normal range. So the only reason I would be calculating it all out is to make sure he puts on weight to impress the doctor. I am just not convinced it is worth it. I have noticed the last few days that his skin coloring looks so much better. He doesn't look sunken in the face and his wrists aren't bones. The ten pounds he has put on has done quite a bit for him.
02-05-2013, 04:40 PM   #19
KWalker

You should have a look at www.myfitnesspal.com because you can use it as a food diary/calorie counter. I used to use it a lot and you just find the food you eat from the drop down box and then it does the rest for you. It tells you how much you would have to eat if you want to gain/lose/maintain, etc.
02-09-2013, 06:25 PM   #20
partlycloudy

My Support Groups:
Those hand blenders work GREAT for homemade mayo. Using a regular blender my mayo wouldn't work half the time. I saw some YouTube videos using a hand blender, tried it, and have yet to make a bad batch. I've made a gazillion batches successfully. You don't have to drizzle the oil or let it come to room temp. Just dump everything in and blend. Fifteen seconds later you've got mayo.
02-09-2013, 08:03 PM   #21
partlycloudy

My Support Groups:
I got this online somewhere. If I ever remember I'll credit the author.

Jimmy Dean Style Breakfast Sausage (SCD legal)

16 oz gr pork
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp parsley
1/4 tsp sage
1/4 tsp thyme
1/4 tsp coriander
* 1/4 tsp cayenne

Mix, patty out, fry or bake. Enjoy.

I use Penzey's spices. They affordable, high quality and SCD legal.

*Regarding the cayenne, if I used the whole 1/4 tsp it'd bother me so I just used a tiny pinch. IMO, the sausages are missing something essential without it though.
02-09-2013, 08:08 PM   #22
partlycloudy

My Support Groups:
[B]Stuffed Burgers (SCD legal)[/B]

2-1/4 lbs ground beef
1 tsp dried tarragon
1/4 cup chopped parsley (I guesstimated a dried amount)
salt and pepper to taste
3/4 cup gorgonzola cheese

Mix beef, tarrogon, parsley. Form mix into 12 patties. Sprinkle w/ salt and pepper. Sprinkle cheese over half the patties, put other patties on top and seal edges. Grill, fry or bake until done.
02-11-2013, 06:57 AM   #23
Charleigh
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Great looking recipes. Thanks for sharing

E will be excited about the sausage recipe!
02-11-2013, 10:35 AM   #24
partlycloudy

My Support Groups:
Great looking recipes. Thanks for sharing

E will be excited about the sausage recipe!
Wait till he smells them frying. I almost cried the first time I made them and took a whiff. Your priorities change a bit on SCD.
02-11-2013, 03:02 PM   #25
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I thought this an inspiring story to read. Thought to post. It is about how James Waller from the UK was able to use diet to find relief of all Crohn's symptoms. In the future he plans to visit his health care providers in order to test if the diet has placed him in remission.

"Healing Chrohn’s Disease: I Feel Absolutely Normal And Well For The First Time In 10 Years"

http://robbwolf.com/2013/02/11/heali...and+fitness%29
02-11-2013, 03:41 PM   #26
KWalker

Its true in my opinion. Being on heavy for a big part of my life I always felt like I was just placing a band aid over the damage from crohns and being told I could never manage without medicine. I honestly feel now that I'm in the healing process. I feel healthy, and better about myself knowing I've become healthier and not just putting more chemicals into my body.
02-11-2013, 09:56 PM   #27
partlycloudy

My Support Groups:
Chive Shallot Dressing, SCD legal
All amounts are approximate
1/4 tsp salt
pepper to taste
1/2 to 3/4 cup yogurt
1/4 cup oil
couple splashes white vinegar
1 tablespoon dried chives
1 tsp shredded fresh shallot (I ran it across a hand grater)

Mix and enjoy the salty-tart-chivey grooviness.
02-12-2013, 05:07 AM   #28
Charleigh
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I have been watching and waiting to see what E is doing right now. He went for a very long time (like 10-14 days) completely solid and now he is a tad bit loose (only like 1-2 BMs a day though). He has had the flu though? I think it might just be sickness. We also tried some salsa and this would be our first attempt at tomatoes. I am thinking the flu, but I don't know. For the first time, I am not really stressed about it just keeping my eye on it
02-12-2013, 07:23 AM   #29
KWalker

I am also having loose stools at the moment Somehow I managed to catch another cold and I'm hopong its because of that and not the potatoes. I'll have to keep an eye on it
02-12-2013, 10:55 AM   #30
partlycloudy

My Support Groups:
I was having loose stools off and on into my tenth month on SCD previously. I think it's just the nature of the beast.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » SCD and Paleo Diets » SCD / Paleo / GAPS Support for February 2013