• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Ways to deal with worsening diarrhea...

A couple of questions for anyone who might have some advice. After about 14 years w/ Crohn's and being 7 years post-operation to remove strictures my Crohn's appears to be worsening- total inability to produce anything more solid than water in a bowel movement, lethargy, fissures, etc.
It's to the point now that I just feel like cutting back eating quite a lot to give my bowels a 'break'- I'm not talking fasting- done that before with the naso-gastric tube. Never again! Has anyone ever limited their meals to very plain, bland stuff and not eaten very much of it and supplemented with vitamin/nutrition shakes. Probably advisable to talk to GP first but has anyone done this is any form? Cheers.
D

I go on a liquid diet when I start to bleed. It helps the bleeding but sorry to say nothing I have done in the past 6 years or so have done anything for my diahreha. Hope you get some relief soon.

I do cut back on eating and drink Ensure but even that produces diarrhea. Very plain foods like toast and poached eggs help. Have you tried Lomotil or Questran? Those have helped me. I haven't had anything but diarrhea in almost two years and I take a pill form of Questran that helps bind bile acids and the Lomotil is like a prescription Immodium. It's the only thing that's helped control the worst of it. I hope you get some relief soon!

I recently read in a book about Crohn's that a bland diet works best, including removing any carbohydrates and sugar from the diet. I have been on this diet, very difficult, by the way, for 2 weeks and have noticed some improvement, however, can I just tell you how much I hate eating now?! I'm already tired of just fresh veggies/fruit, chicken and eggs. I can eat fish, however, I do not eat that very much. How is one supposed to live on just chicken and fish alone?!?! Also, due to the diet changes and massive problems with diarrhea, I have lost 55 lbs in the last 7-8 months. It seems to have tapered off a bit, but if I lose anymore weight, there'll be nothing left of me. :confused2: This disease has been the most frustrating thing I have ever gone through and the doctor offers NO assistance whatsoever.

I live like this all the time,case of having to as I have stricture in Ileium area,talking to a surgeon again on feb 26th for fourth op.Chicken ,eggs,fish (varied fish) egg noodles, instant of potatoes,cannot even tolerate these. 3slices of white bread Small slices daily max.
Frosties or cornflakes,and soya milk and that's about it day in day out,every third day I will juice some carrots,apples,satsumas and blueberries and that's it.
I still have sugar in tea and do eat the occasional rich tea biscuits.
Have been doing this for years.Apart from the strictures,constant Diarrhoa and taking Imuran (azathioprine)100mg daily,I am ok