Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Lomotil and possible obstructions

01-30-2013, 04:59 PM   #1
xSophiexx

Lomotil...

My gi was horrified that i had been taking Lomotil. He told me it actually can be very bad for Crohns patients as can cause obstructions! He said its pretty cruel as it does work for diarrhoea but it can make things worse.

Anyone else heard this?!

Ileocaecal Resection 12th June 2013

Meds
Infliximab
01-30-2013, 05:12 PM   #2
2thFairy

My Support Groups:
Yep. Lomitil can definitely cause constipation/obstipation.

Total colectomy with ileostomy featuring Sideshow Bob since January 2012

"The colon seems an unlikely candidate for dramatic effect, but now and then it serves that purpose well." The Associated Press Guide to Punctuation
01-30-2013, 05:13 PM   #3
xSophiexx

Ooh bloody hello i been eating them like smarties!
01-30-2013, 05:19 PM   #4
2thFairy

My Support Groups:
Oh no!!!! Drink lots of fluids.
01-31-2013, 08:35 AM   #5
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
I take lomotil daily. It would only be a problem if you took too much for you as it could then cause constipation, or maybe even an obstruction if you really overdosed. But it works quite well for me, so does immodium (loperamide) but lomotil is stronger. The amount I take is not enough to stop diarrhoea completely but it slows it down and makes my stomach feel more confortable too.

Lomotil doesn't treat Crohn's in any way - it doesn't stop the inflammation or effect the immune system or anything like that, so you'd still need other medication to stop a flare. Lomotil just treats the symptoms.
01-31-2013, 08:42 AM   #6
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
I take it and I have narrowing. I wouldn't go above the daily amount. I agree with the suggestion of lots of liquids.
01-31-2013, 10:37 AM   #7
Sybil Vane
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Lomotil has saved my life. I can leave the house with it. I figure if I can get down from 20 times a day to five, I'm not at a risk of becoming obstructed or constipated.

If you're on Facebook, please join me for daily silliness, inspiration, and IBD in the news at http://www.facebook.com/TheCrohnsDiaries.

"Cats: Because sometimes they really help you."
01-31-2013, 10:48 AM   #8
scottsma

My Support Groups:
I have U.C and take loperimde BUT the most I have ever taken is 3 per day,and that is only to get me to an early appt. or something in the morning.I do suffer urgency and can take up to 8 per day as per prescription,but I don't take it if I'm at home for the rest of the day.I have read that it isn't good for crohnies though.I agree with drinking PLENTY of water.
01-31-2013, 11:54 AM   #9
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
I am taking it because otherwise I have so much diarrhea. I have lost so much weight and vitamins and minerals. I don't know if it helps with that but it may slow the loss down. It definitely lets me not run.
01-31-2013, 12:26 PM   #10
2thFairy

My Support Groups:
It's great stuff for ileostomies too. I was taking 8-10 a day to prevent dehydration when my ileo was new. However, with many people it can plug you right up if you're not careful.
01-31-2013, 01:26 PM   #11
Jennifer
Adminstrator

Lomotil comes in a prescription so I don't see why one's GI would be surprised they were taking it (my GI is the one who prescribed it for me). You take it as prescribed and/or as needed. If you're dealing with a stricture then be careful with anything that could help harden your stool and as mentioned increase your fluid intake. I haven't found Lomotil to make things worse and do recommend it to other members on the forum who can't seem to get their frequency under control.
Things I take: Tenormin 25mg (PVCs and Tachycardia), Junel, Tylenol 3, Omeprazole 20mg 2/day, Klonopin 1mg 2/day (anxiety), Restoril 15mg (insomnia), Claritin 20mg
Currently in: REMISSION Thought it was a flare but it's just scar tissue from my resection. Dealing with a stricture. Remission from my resection, 17 years and counting.
01-31-2013, 04:51 PM   #12
xSophiexx

Crabby 2th fairy and others i thought his reaction strange too. i was pretty put out as Lomotil makes the day bearable as many of you know!! i never take more than prescribed just found it a bit odd!!

Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Lomotil and possible obstructions