Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Books, Multimedia, Research & News » Genetic Leprosy association with Crohn's disease.

01-31-2013, 06:16 AM   #1
kiny

Genetic Leprosy association with Crohn's disease.

"Host–microbe interactions have shaped the genetic architecture of inflammatory bowel disease" from Nature a few weeks ago made some nice tables about the leprosy overlap in CD.

I'm just linking them if interested.

These are the genes associated with CD (UC on the left), note that IL23R mutation has a different function in CD and UC so that association is not strong.

Note that the genes in CD are related to bacterial recognition and autophagy, many of the mutations are missing in UC. (ATG16L1, NOD2, IL23R, VDR).

I didn't know what IL12B was, it's a gene related to protection against intracellular pathogens.

Of the leprosy predispostion, most are related to CD again.

I don't know much about UC, I know there's a strong autoimmune component in UC unlike CD which doesn't have this, but I know that it's a very different disease than CD is, it's a bit shame that the study bunched them up in some graphs. There's that graph that showed IBD / leprosy association, but this association is small in UC and extremly strong in CD, 6 out of 8 loci.

I think it's a shame in general that UC and Crohn's disease are put under an umbrella called IBD sometimes, they are extremely different disease.

This is from a purely Western CD population (NOD2 association is missing in Asia but the leprosy overlap is still there)

The bigger the bar the more important the link.

leprosy overlap:

Last edited by kiny; 01-31-2013 at 06:39 AM.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Books, Multimedia, Research & News » Genetic Leprosy association with Crohn's disease.