• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Meds

A

Amy

Hi

I am new to all this (diagnosed last Wednesday with Crohn's)

I have been put on steroids and Mezavant but noticed yesterday that I am passing the anti-inflams whole! Did anyone else get this? Will they just try me on something else (waiting for Dr to ring me) I am also feeling absolutely awful although doc said the steroids would kick in within a couple of days, do you think it is just because I am not absorbing them?

I am so down at the moment.

Sorry my first post is so depressing!!

Amy

Hi, Amy!
Welcome to the forum. I take Asacol, which has a special coating so it disolves lower down in your system... don't know if your drugs are the same... but they do sometimes go straight through you and come out whole! Sometimes bits of the coating come out and it may look like it's the whole tablet.
I haven't taken steroids for a very long time, but there are plenty of people here who take them and hopefully answer all your questions.
This is a very friendly forum, and sharing all your worries really helps

C

catfud

Hello Amy, welcome to the forums. The steroids should kick in for you in a few days. A lot of people suffer nasty side effects from the steroids. They can really mess with your mood and sleep, they can also make you feel a bit crackers! But don't worry this is all normal and you can post here when having troubles with side effects. I was recently on a high dosage of steroids I could only sleep for 3 hours a night and I felt a bit loopy but this has now settled.

Not trying to scare you anything just giving you the heads up that the steroids mix you up... but do wonders at cleaning things up.

Depression is also a side effect of the steroids but you can vent away here and we will support you.

:)

My Butt Hurts

Squeals-a-lot!
Hi Amy! Welcome to the forum. Don't worry about venting to us or sounding depressed, that's what we are here for. A new Crohn's diagnosis is bound to make anyone emotional.
Usually steroids kick in right away for me, but the last time I started them they didn't start working until day 6. I LOVED being on steroids though, my only side effect was extra energy, so it's different for everybody. Are you on Prednisone or Entocort or is there another one?
I agree with Agent about the Asacol, that happened to me too. If you really want to know for sure, you could grab one out of the toilet (gross I know - but we end up doing strange things and getting over the grossness quickly) and check it out. Oh, a good sense of humor helps to cope with this crazy disease too.
Good luck, feel better, and welcome again!

GoJohnnyGo

One Badass Dude
The "bullet shell casings" effect is to be expected with Mezavant (Lialda). On close examination, there should be cracks in the shell and the contents dispersed.

Welcome to the forum, Amy! Sorry you have to be here, but hope you will get some good information reading through everyone's posts. I have never taken Mezavant, so I can't help you there. I'm with MBH, though, with the steroids - prednisone is a miracle drug for me. I get relief from my symptoms almost immediately when I'm on them. I do have side effects, though, and they are not something you want to stay on very long if you can help it. I developed diabetes from being on them (that must be rare, though, because I don't know of anyone else that this has happened to). I also get sleeplessness, hot flashes and flushing of my cheeks, leg and foot cramps, and constipation from the prednisone, but also extra energy, which I love.

Let us know what the doc says about the anti-inflammatories and how you are getting along!

Lisa

I pass Asacol whole also. Like corn ! What I have noticed is the coating is cracked. Im not looking into it any ferther than that. :ylol2:

A

Amy

Hi thanks everyone. I spoke to the nurse & it does look like it is just the coating so should be fine.

Been on steroids (prednisolone) for 2 weeks and have noticed I am going less and slightly less watery but still got the normal urgentness when I do go, pain, bleeding etc. Been to hospital today & nurse has upped dosage because no major change so I wil see how I get on now!

Also she was giving me the results of my blood tests but I didn't really have a clue what she was going on about! Something about my platelet levels, something do do with my kidneys and the reading being high and also my CLR or CTR levels??? Does this mean anything to anyone?

I think I know what you mean about the steroids making you feel funny! I have had a couple of days where I thought I was going mad and just cried all day! Glad it is not only me, was starting to worry!

D

DustinK

Amy said:
Hi thanks everyone. I spoke to the nurse & it does look like it is just the coating so should be fine.

Been on steroids (prednisolone) for 2 weeks and have noticed I am going less and slightly less watery but still got the normal urgentness when I do go, pain, bleeding etc. Been to hospital today & nurse has upped dosage because no major change so I wil see how I get on now!

Also she was giving me the results of my blood tests but I didn't really have a clue what she was going on about! Something about my platelet levels, something do do with my kidneys and the reading being high and also my CLR or CTR levels??? Does this mean anything to anyone?

I think I know what you mean about the steroids making you feel funny! I have had a couple of days where I thought I was going mad and just cried all day! Glad it is not only me, was starting to worry!
The blood tests might have been for your red blood cell count or CBC. I don't know if those are the same test but I got to get mine tested all the time. You can google it for more information.

W

Wonk

I think everyone answered your question about the pill coating. When I am having problems absorbing the useless Pentasa I have been on it comes out in little fragments. But I just wanted to say don't worry about the emotional part, I've known for about 4 months and I cried in the drs office today, I imagine it will happen again.

Amy said:
I have had a couple of days where I thought I was going mad and just cried all day! Glad it is not only me, was starting to worry!
prednisone is fun, yeah?

lol it does the exact same thing to me, i'll cry for HOURS for no reason and not be able to stop. kinda silly to look back upon :tongue:

welcome!