• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Constipation and Inflammation?

Catherine

We have constipation at moment with the whole large colon completely full to stool and normal bowel movements. We also have high inflammation markers.

We only know there is constipation due to an x-ray.

Last edited:
That's the million dollar question around here. No one (so far) seems to take constipation very seriously. They always want to talk about regular toilet sits. But that is not the issue for us! I do think her constipation is related to inflammation without a doubt!

Definitely in our experience - Lucy's presenting symptoms included constipation hence 1 year delay in diagnosis. Our GI would agree that constipation is a regular feature but general paeds may not have the breath of experience to know this. Good question

Dexky

To save time...Ask Dusty!
I guess it's one of those questions GI's will always answer with a shrug because it certainly is not a one size fits all diagnostic tool. EJ has never had constipation issues but he has had high levels of inflammation.

In J's case I would say YES!! But as others have said, no one will commit to that question.

She is always more sick :puke_r: when she hasn't had a BM for 5+ days. And her bleeding normally gets worse, even without a BM!!!!

Devynn used to be constipated all the time! We haven't had that problem in a long time now. But when she does get constipated, she usually gets sick as well. Feeling nauseaus, stomache hurts, and just plain miserable.

I would say in our case yes for colonic disease anyway. Rowan always had more bleeding with constipation than when we had her on miralax. Rowan was always constipated as a baby.

Hi there
i was always getting constipation and sometimes my bowels were not moving for over a week. the doctor gave me stool softners to take (once daily) and they have been a god send. the only reason he gave me for the constant constipation was that "its just an IBD symptom"

I totally agree its a symptom of inflammation Lewis had terrible stomach ache pain scale 8 all through the night , he was on 6 sachets of movicol at the minute he's not taking any movicol his pain is reduced but not gone al together he's not constipated and his inflammation markers are normal , and my GI it's not inflammation and active disease . I say different I no when he's I'll I don't rely 100 percent on labs I go with how my son looks and feels and the pain he's in then I usually tell the docs he labs usually are o.k isn't normal for him.x

I just was looking this up and apparantly it is more common when the small bowel is involved? Evan has had periods when he's had extreme constipation, and also periods when he's had loose stools. When constipated, we've been given scripts for Miralax (which I call Evan's magic drink).

I personally think there has to be a strong correlation. Ellie's calprotectin numbers have never come down below 400 and she tends to bounce between loose stools with blood to severe constipation with a great deal of pain. She's never reached remission but we've gotten pretty good at being able to tell when she is starting to head in the wrong direction. I seems like what ever we do to head off the flare ends up causing the opposite which is the constipation. I feel like we are always playing a balancing game.

I also think it has a lot to do with flares.
Grace is on EN. Nothing else. She was finally going poo every day with out miralax and now she's backed up again with more tummy pains and her joint pains are getting worse.

Thanks for all the replies. It's nice to know Grace isn't a freak of nature...well totally!:ybiggrin:

The next thread I'm going to start in about joint pain.:wink:

Oh she's just an overacheiver like Jack - no freak of nature. At least she doesn't get hives from miralax like my little freak of nature.