Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » The Battle Scar Thread

11-30-2008, 12:16 PM   #1
MINI Cooper

The Battle Scar Thread

Ok, I couldn't find it. No thread where we show off our battle scars???

I started listing these in my own thread, but was reccommended I start an entirely different thread for everyone to share!

Here is my ongoing list:

2007 Exploratory surgery where they ended up removing my appendix and some other 'junk'
Lucky for me they used dissolving stitches so it has healed well.

Here is a photo of recent encounters with the IV nurses:

My TPN scar is barely visible, and wouldn't really come out on camera.

This is my latest 'freakiest' one. It's shaped like an 'S'!

Feel free to share yours! We can't all be squeamish with what we've all been through!
Shameless Plug:
www.cloverscritters.com
11-30-2008, 12:31 PM   #2
My Butt Hurts
Squeals-a-lot!

Haha.. I WISH I had a picture that I could put up!!
I had an episiotomy with each child, but I don't think anyone wants to see THAT! Well, a few people might, but...
And the only surgery that I've had for my Crohn's was a perianal fistual, I probably shouldn't go taking a picture of THAT!
I had TMJ surgery, but the scar is in my hairline. I had a mole removed - anyone want to see that picture??
Oh... I just want to belong....

edit - OMG! I KNOW that this is tmi, but I took a pic of my surgery scar just out of curiosity.
Here is the conversation throught the locked bathroom door.
4 year old daughter - Mooooom? What are you doing?
(I don't lie - so I said) Me - What are YOOOOU doing??
Daughter - Are you takin a picture?? (accusingly)
Me - Are YOOOOU takin a picture??
That frustrated her enough that she wasn't interested anymore thankfully.
OMG I am STILL laughing about it!
But - I am NOT putting that pic up here!!!

Last edited by My Butt Hurts; 11-30-2008 at 12:54 PM.
11-30-2008, 01:12 PM   #3
MINI Cooper

awwwww....
11-30-2008, 05:15 PM   #4
jed

I approve of this thread

Current meds - Methotrexate, the rest werent doing anything.
Current state - hopeing poop softener, honey and cinnamon tea make me poop like a crohnie again..

my story - http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=3093
11-30-2008, 05:25 PM   #5
MINI Cooper

yay!!!!

I must say, if any of you get staples, TAKE A PICTURE!
Why? Because the doctors DO NOT keep count of how many they put in you-
it is up to YOU to count so that they remove ALL OF THEM!

Jesse had a bad leg injury a few months ago and they would have left 2
staples in his leg if he didn't tell them there were two more to take out
somewhere. CRAZY!
11-30-2008, 07:01 PM   #6
RHOV

the staples are cool, but that last picture is just gross!

i don't have any battle scars. i do have a nice scar on my ankle from accidentally shaving of a huge patch of skin with a razor 2 years ago, but nothing impressive like the rest of you!
11-30-2008, 08:12 PM   #7
My Butt Hurts
Squeals-a-lot!

JED!! Are those your boxers?!?!?
11-30-2008, 08:33 PM   #8
Colt

Mini, I wish I could bring a camera to work and show you what those nurses do to some of the patients I have to draw from (silly privacy laws). It's horrific sometimes. Every day I come across numerous patients that just shock me.

For example one where I look at one arm and there's an IV in it, I look at the other arm and it's just a huge black circle covering the entire inner fold of the elbow, I look at one hand and it's completely black, I look at the other hand and and there's only 1 vein that's extremely loose and it's got frickin track marks that would make a junkie blush from the dozens of times that someone has tried to catch it. You tell me, where am I supposed to stick this patient?

Oh, and then there's the always fun 3 IVs in 1 patient that leave me with nothing but a hand to draw from and they don't have any usable veins in that hand which is why there's not an IV in it. 'Why are there 3 IVs in 1 patient?', you might ask. Because the nurse is too damn lazy to take out the 2 that don't work.

More fun.. this morning I finished my morning run and was back for my first normal run of the day. A nurse comes scrambling up to me with 2 blood labels in her hand.
"Can you draw these?"
"Let me have a look. Hrm.. well, these are both for the same test. It's also 8:30AM and these are for 1AM and 3AM. It looks like they're from yesterday too. Oh, and they're stat which means the nurse should have drawn them immediately when they were ordered. So, no. I can't. I also wouldn't want to because I drew that test on that patient 2 hours ago when there was a 3rd label for that same test in my stack of labels that was also stat and should have been drawn by his nurse instead of being sent to me. In fact, I had to stop in the middle of my morning run to take that blood down to the lab which set everyone else's tests back 15 minutes. What I would like to do, though, is find out why that lab wasn't drawn yesterday at 1AM."

Just because I'm already into the swing of things here I'll chime in with a gripe against nurses (and some phlebotomists) putting the same damn type of tape on patients who clearly are having reactions to it until that patient develops a rash so bad it hardens the skin to the point that I can't even feel a vein.

Oh, and one poor guy that gets stuck every single morning was bleeding because of the tape last time. I was pissed. I put a roll of coban (hypoallergenic tape with no adhesive that is just as available as the other tapes) on his table, told him to throw it at the next person who tries to put that damn paper tape on him, tracked down his nurse, and chewed her out. Grrrrr...

Maybe I need to start myself a phlebotomist's rant post...

Sincerely,
Mr. Thread Hijacker

Meds: Prednisone, Pentasa, Vitamin D & Calcium, Atenalol, Darvocet

Current Issues: Crohn's inflammation primarily of the upper GI (duodenum and up), Tachycardia, Osteoporosis

Current Stage of Grief: Anger

Last edited by Colt; 11-30-2008 at 08:35 PM.
11-30-2008, 08:44 PM   #9
MINI Cooper

Colt, I'm sorry you have to go through all that and see all that yuckiness!
You work right in the trenches and must see a lot of that everyday!
Sucks to be on the receiving end as well as the one who has to do this to people!
11-30-2008, 09:22 PM   #10
Colt

I don't really feel bad for me, I just feel bad for the patient and especially so when I'm the one inflicting pain. Most of my patients tell me that they don't even feel it and I feel like the greatest, nicest person in the world. But when it's someone in agony because I can only get the blood out of a single horribly battered vein I feel like the biggest asshole in the world.

I do know what it's like though. I've been stuck a few times recently too. I've even let a newbie practice on my hand. The IV I had for my colonoscopy was agonizing too. For some reason it just burned like hell. The only thing that saved me from the pain was the anesthesia and then having it taken out.

BTW, if you weren't on prednisone you wouldn't have had such big bruises. A lot of people don't know it but people on prednisone usually bruise when they get stuck. Of course the bruise and the track marks take a long time to heal because of the prednisone too.
11-30-2008, 11:59 PM   #11
soupdragon69
ele mental leprechaun

Well I havent had any major GI surgery thankfully...

Have plenty of scars though lol

Have one under my right armpit where I had a really bad abcess drained under anaesthetic a few years back.

Have another one under my left boob from a cyst being removed last year.

Have a couple on my face from facial surgery 10yrs ago too.

Numerous pock marks and small scars from other abcessess and boils down my thighs and hip area.

Oh yeah and have a scar on my bottom lip where I decided to trip over my own two feet as a kid and go face first into a concrete step - does that count?? LOL

Colt I couldnt agree more with your comments being on both sides of the fence as I am! Have some nice bruises at the mo having just been in. Thankfully the phlebot who came yesterday morn used a butterfly on me and I was really grateful.

My cannula actually literally fell out of my arm saturday morn when I straightened my arm out ;-) And yeah my big bug bear is the tape because I blister with most of them and despite telling and having it on my allergy band I still end up with the wrong one so I just sort it myself in the end now!

IF YOU DON'T JUMP YOU WONT EVER LEARN TO FLY

Brittle asthma 1996, Hypothyroidism 1998, Severe Crohns ileitis 2006 , Severe IBS 2007, Inflammatory/Rheumatoid Arthritis 2008, Sebhorreic Eczema and Folliculitis 1992, Roseca, steroid induced acne and Hidradenitis Suppurativa 2008, Multiple allergies and food intolerances diagnosed from 2003. Newly diagnosed fibromyalgia Dec 2009. Newly diagnosed calcific tendonitis Jan 2010. Chronic Pain diagnosed Dec 2010.
12-01-2008, 12:38 AM   #12
GoJohnnyGo
One Badass Dude

I have one on my scrotum from when I had an undescended testicle when I was nine.

Plus the one on my belly from my gastro surgery.

They are covered by manly hair now.
12-01-2008, 05:42 AM   #13
Jax

Top thread! Mini I have a matching scar! As well as two more u further on either side. It kinda looks like a suprised smiley face

I haven't had a bowel resection yet just had a bit of a look see and took the appendix. My GI thinks I will need a stricture chopped out in the next year. Do you think I will get staples like Jed? They are pretty impressive Jed. Kinda looks painful though....

Johnny covering the scars with manly hair isn't really an option for me but hey I guess anything is possible if i am fed enough pred! This disease does wonders for ones feminine appeal...
12-01-2008, 05:55 AM   #14
merrywidow
mum with a dogdy tum

how do i put pictures on here?
12-01-2008, 05:56 AM   #15
merrywidow
mum with a dogdy tum

12-01-2008, 05:57 AM   #16
merrywidow
mum with a dogdy tum

12-01-2008, 05:58 AM   #17
merrywidow
mum with a dogdy tum

[oh i give up.
12-01-2008, 06:48 AM   #18
Wiles

I thought my staples were pretty awesome, but I didn't end up taking a picture of them. Here is a pic after the staples were removed. The scar is raised now, but it's hard to see under all the hair after it grew back.

Last edited by Wiles; 12-01-2008 at 06:52 AM.
12-01-2008, 12:18 PM   #19
merrywidow
mum with a dogdy tum

oh someone help me *sobs quietly*
12-01-2008, 02:53 PM   #20
Agent X20

My Support Groups:
Sharon... I'm not an expert on this... and I thought there were computer-geeks a-plenty on this forum! Anyway... whenever I've done stuff like like that, I've gone through a website called photobucket (just google photobucket) It's free! You put your pics onto the website, then when you want to download them into a thread you copy the "address" and paste it in. Can't use all the proper terminology... but that's it... even I managed it (eventually)
Some forums have a facility where you can transfer pics straight in... I don't know if this does it!
12-01-2008, 09:20 PM   #21
My Butt Hurts
Squeals-a-lot!

MerryW-
I posted the following on the photography thread when I finally figured out how to get pics up here -
"I just signed up for a Flickr account on Saturday. It's free and easy.
It's SO easy to get your photos uploaded there if they are already on your computer. Once they are on Flickr you have to click on the picture, then click 'all sizes', choose your size (I changed it medium for 2 of mine and was able to keep it on large for another one.) right click on the SECOND link to copy it, (it should have jpg or something similar at the end) and then when you go to write your post on the forum you click on the mountain thingy (insert image) and paste the URL into the box when it asks you for it."
Hope that helps.
12-01-2008, 11:39 PM   #22
kello82

merrywidow said:
oh someone help me *sobs quietly*
lol i was wondering the same thing! i was trying to put up a pic in another thread and could not figure it out for my life.

hmm ok scars!
no pics for me either as my butt=one giant scar. from many years of fistulas, setons, drains and stitches. no abdominal surgeries though.

ew but here we go, how about stretch marks? shins, thighs, lower back, and back of arms (like come on, stretch marks on an elbow??). from the dumb prednisone, grr.

two dots to show for some picc lines and thats about all for me!
12-02-2008, 11:29 AM   #23
merrywidow
mum with a dogdy tum

i haveh photobuckeet, but it dont say the http of the picture, which is what this site needs. damn technology
sharon xx
12-02-2008, 12:24 PM   #24
Agent X20

My Support Groups:
Let's see...

Clicked on the picture to make it bigger, then highlighted the img code, copied it, and pasted it in here. No battlescars filed though, just me...
12-02-2008, 12:27 PM   #25
Agent X20

My Support Groups:
You should have a little box that says "image link code"... then you can choose which to copy... there's a bit of a guide attached.
I'm still not photographing me bum, which is where all my scars are!
12-02-2008, 12:59 PM   #26
DustinK

lol I wish I had a digital camera so I could post a picture of mine. I've got a wicked battle scar. 26 staples
12-02-2008, 01:30 PM   #27
MINI Cooper

wow! Find someone with a digital camera to take the photo!!!!
12-02-2008, 02:44 PM   #28
MINI Cooper

Ok, Agent, (thread police) my updated bruise pic.
Bruise getting worse instead of better!

12-02-2008, 02:53 PM   #29
Wiles

merrywidow said:
i haveh photobuckeet, but it dont say the http of the picture, which is what this site needs. damn technology
sharon xx
After you've uploaded your photo on photobucket you can click on it and it will bring you to a page with that photo and the info you need will be right in the bottom right corner

12-02-2008, 09:48 PM   #30
DustinK

Crappy quality cause I took them with my phone:

And some of my scars from the pyoderma gangrenosum:

Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » The Battle Scar Thread