Share Facebook

02-13-2013, 09:49 PM   #31
FrancisK7
Forum Monitor

Looks like you are well covered Good news all around.

@sickinlk: I have never taken anything stronger than paracetamol or ibuprofene for pain. I'm sure codeine or vicodin would do wonder. If anything I would only need to have half a dozen pills on standby for those rare, awful nights when I feel like I'm going to die. You're not the first to talk about the effectiveness of Remicade. Unfortunately nobody will give it to me here... too expensive and I'm not critical enough (aka. my 5-ASA allergy and pancolitis is not enough, I have to be dying to be eligible).
02-14-2013, 12:40 AM   #32
sickinlk
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
that's tight Francisk7. (tight means it sucks)
I wonder if the insurance companies will want me of remicade when I get to Canada.
also, do you know that ibuprofen is a big no no.

Common adverse effects include: nausea, dyspepsia, gastrointestinal ulceration/bleeding, raised liver enzymes, diarrhea, constipation, epistaxis, headache, dizziness, priapism, rash, salt and fluid retention, and hypertension.[15][citation needed] A study from 2010 has shown regular use of NSAIDs was associated with an increase in hearing loss.[16]

8)
ju
02-15-2013, 02:16 PM   #33
FrancisK7
Forum Monitor

If you already were on Remicade my guess is that yes they will permit it. I understand you receive full health benefits as long as you receive your resident status.
02-15-2013, 03:07 PM   #34
JohnnyRottenAppleseed

If that's the case then I would definitely get back on Aza. Immunosupressors actually treat the disease whereas anti-inflammatory medications only treat the symptoms.

If your colitis isn't flaring and 5-ASA are enough to keep what little inflammation is there in check, like it is the case for many people, then all the better.

But when the disease goes in overdrive, it has to be addressed.

The toxicity and side effects of drugs like Imuran/Aza/6MP almost seem desirable compared to steroids. I'm on prednisone right now and I cannot wait to throw the bottle out the window.
Sulphasalzine drugs cause colitis.
02-15-2013, 03:16 PM   #35
FrancisK7
Forum Monitor

Sulphasalzine drugs cause colitis.
Reference?
02-15-2013, 03:31 PM   #36
JohnnyRottenAppleseed

Copied from Admin Dave's response:
On the Lialda website located here it states:
Quote:
Mesalamine has been associated with an acute intolerance syndrome (3% of patients in clinical trials with mesalamine or sulfasalazine) that may be difficult to distinguish from an exacerbation of ulcerative colitis.
Depending on the study (there have been many) you'll see around 2-4% AIS for the various mesalamine formulations.
02-15-2013, 03:32 PM   #37
JohnnyRottenAppleseed

And sure enough I got a lot better after I stopped this junk!
02-15-2013, 03:37 PM   #38
FrancisK7
Forum Monitor

Acute intolerance syndrome does not equal "cause colitis". It's an allergic reaction. One I did experience, but as it says, we're the 3%.

Millions of people all over the world take mesalamine without any side effects to keep their colitis in remission.
02-15-2013, 04:24 PM   #39
JohnnyRottenAppleseed

In the medication pamphlet it lists colitis as a side effect. That's all I know. It digested poorly and caused pain, bloating , and urgency for me and a friend who has crohns.
02-15-2013, 08:21 PM   #40
2thFairy

My Support Groups:
Mesalamine helped me for quite awhile, especially the suppositories.

Total colectomy with ileostomy featuring Sideshow Bob since January 2012

"The colon seems an unlikely candidate for dramatic effect, but now and then it serves that purpose well." The Associated Press Guide to Punctuation
02-16-2013, 03:07 AM   #41
Cross-stitch gal

My Support Groups:
It seems to be working for me. But, I'm pretty inflammed and my inflammation is in my rectal area so it's taking a bit...

Current Meds:
Pentasa 1000mg 2xday or Mesalamine DR 1.2gm 2xday, Canasa Suppositories (when needed) 1000mg 1xday, Tylenol 3 with codeine 300-30mg (when needed)

Non-Meds:
600+D Calcium 2xday, Multivitamin, 65mg Iron 1xday, Fish Oil 1000mg, Vitamin D3 5,000 I.U., Eye Drops 2xday

UP Support Group http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=68350
02-16-2013, 10:29 AM   #42
scottsma

My Support Groups:
The supps work fine for me,but I think I must have mild to moderate Proctitis.(although sometimes it doesn't feel like it)