Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Cimzia vs. Remicade

02-04-2013, 05:51 PM   #1
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
Cimzia vs. Remicade

Aside from injection versus infusion is one better or worse than the other in any way? I'm debating which to go on.
02-04-2013, 10:20 PM   #2
Dukeis
Dynastic Overlord

My Support Groups:
I have never been on Cimzia, but I was on Remicade for 7 years and it worked great for me. Back when I started though there was no choice it was just Remicade. I'm on Humira now and it is a lot easier then sitting there for a few hours getting the infusion so I would think Cimzia would also be easy in that respect.
02-04-2013, 10:47 PM   #3
ThanksP

I tried Cimzia first. It stopped working for me at the one year mark. I'm on Remicade now and have been fantastic since starting in September of 2011. I prefer the infusion over the hassle of the Cimzia anyway.
02-04-2013, 10:56 PM   #4
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
I tried Cimzia first. It stopped working for me at the one year mark. I'm on Remicade now and have been fantastic since starting in September of 2011. I prefer the infusion over the hassle of the Cimzia anyway.
In what way was Cimzia a hassle? It seems the infusion is more annoying.
02-05-2013, 06:00 AM   #5
Jer
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
They are both TNF blockers, they just use a different pathway.

That being said, I used Remicade first. I was basically symptom free for about 3.5 years on it. There is the hassle of sitting in the infusion lab/hospital for 3+ hrs every 8 weeks. There is a great deal of lethargy afterwards for about a day. Other than that, it worked great. One day, after 3.5 years it just stopped being affective even after a double in dose.

I then tried Humira. Bad allergic reaction, hives, swelling, and MAJOR debilitating headaches.

I'm currently on Cimzia now, it's not helping at all, had to go back on prednisone to keep the flare down.

The fact that you can do the Cimzia at home in a couple min is convienient, but only if the med works. I always bitched about having to go for my Remicade infusions, but I would take it all back and gladly go if that stuff still worked for me.

I would recomend bringing an iPad, laptop, book, headphones.......something to keep you occupied for the duration if you do go the Remicade route. It may be a good window to get some things done depending on your job/schedual.

Good luck on whichever one you chose, hope it helps.
02-05-2013, 09:56 AM   #6
ThanksP

I travel quite a bit so setting up Cimzia delivery every month, making sure I'm home to receive the package, and sometimes having to carry the injections with me, on ice through the airport was a hassle. Also, the day after my injections, I was useless. I was achy, flu-like and exhausted. I much prefer knowing that on a certain date, every two months, I can spend two-three hours and be done. And I don't have to inject myself lol.
02-05-2013, 09:59 AM   #7
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
Why does it seem so few patients with IBD take cimzia? Also, why didn't Europe approve it for crohns. They rejected it and only approved it for arthritis.

Last edited by nogutsnoglory; 02-05-2013 at 10:30 AM.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Cimzia vs. Remicade