• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Finally got the IBD dx

Hi, my name is Dawn. I'm 30 and have a wonderful supportive husband and a handsome 2 1/2 year old son.

I suffered from belly pain as a kid having my appendix out at 8 , gallbladder removed at 16 and my bile duct cut and Stinted at 18. I finally got the dx of IBD today. My colonoscopy in June showed a lil bit of patchy inflammation in the descending and sigmoid colon however doctors was not convinced it was IBD then. They did a re peat colonoscopy jan and found (per biopsys) severe inflammation the whole way through my colon this time. They are still unsure if its UC or Crohn's, however with my pain and other symptoms they are leaning towards Crohn's. In two weeks I'm having the pill cam to help dx which IBD and i start Humira.

My symptoms : nausea, vomiting, stomach pain (every where), direahha, constipation, bloody bm's, body aches (like if I have the flu), fatigue, night sweats, loss of appetite (I oddly have not loss weight??) :frown:

My question is does this effect my chances of having a 2nd child? My husband and I were planning on trying in June before the dx.

My 2nd question is what has your experience been with Humira??

Hello, I have had Ulcerative Colitis for 4 years and my sister has Crohn's, from your symptoms it sounds like Crohn's. For having a second child if they do remove your colon and give you a j pouch then you will have a 15% chance of not having another child if not then you will not have a problem with having another child.
I have also taken humira as well and it can be painful because its an injection, and for me it didn't not help, same with my sister who has also had humira. but some people do say it works, so it all depends on how severe your crohns or colitis is. I hope this helps. :)

Angrybird

Hello and welcome to the forum.

It certainly is possible to have kids with crohn's - I myself am nearly 34 weeks pregnant. The key is to get the tum settled before you start trying as this will increase your chance of falling pregnant and also means you are less likely to have issues during the pregnancy. Also do keep you GI informed of your plans as they will want to keep an eye on things and may need to assess the med you are on. I do not have any experience with Humira but we do have a sub forum for this that is worth checking out: http://www.crohnsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=59. Are you on any meds right now?

AB
xx

Thanks everyone! I am blessed to have one wounderful lil boy. I deff need t get my stomach /colon calmed down before retrying! I have tried asacol and Canasa , however both did not work and gave me awful side effects. So Humira is scheduled in 2 weeks. 50 mg I think.

Does anyone deal with extreme body itching?? ( something new I'm dealing with)

No I'm no longer on meds (at the moment). And no other rashes or anything. Just SEVERE itching. I use lots of lotion and I still itch. (O wait I'm on tramadol and zofran but have been on them for some time now) the itching just started within this last week.

Angrybird

I take it nothing has changed in your environment like washing power etc? As your tum is unsettled it could even be this that is causing the itchy skin. Are you due to see the doc before you start the Humira at all? It may be worth seeing if your vitamin levels can be checked in case there is something off in this area that could be contributing to this.

Yes I am due to see her in a week. I will def say something. No change on any thing here at home. It could be a Vitamin issue as I don't eat a lot and what I do eat I throw up :(

Is it common to get stomach pain/cramping after eating? It sucks

Angrybird

That can happen if you are experiencing a flare up, I have previously not been able to finish a meal as half way through I would get the griping tummyaches and have to run off to the toilet. Pls keep us updated on how you get on.

Ok...well something is def going on. I have stomach pain/cramping since 12 am non stop (it's 845 here now). I keep throwing up too. The pain is unbearable and my tramadol and zofran are not helping. I called the on call GI. I hope they call me back soon

Well they gave me Dulaid, phegergan and sent me home. (No other pain or nausea meds) so I hope I can hang until Monday. The hospital acts like having ths is no big deal and I had no reason to be in the ER. :(

I know right! My pains are a constant ache and cramp but I get sharp pains on and off through my whole stomach (not just one spot). I have "c" right now. (Been like ths for a week now)

I told them I was to start Humira in a week and a half.i thought they would have contacted my GI and decide to start it now...but nope. They were like great the med we gave you made you feel better. See ya.

Angrybird

I am wondering whether you have a bit of a blockage, especially if you are now constipated. I would say if the pain gets bad enough to go back to the hospital and tell them you are not leaving until they do some proper checks.

I made it through the weekend and called and left a message with my GI. Do a lot f people suffer from constipation with crohns?? Oddly I don't even feel I have to go but then again I have not been eating a hole lot because when I do it increases the pain.

I have a really embarrassing question. This moring I noticed a slit on my skin above my clit (like where pubs would normally start) is this due to the Crohn's? It's like a paper cut. So embarrassing to ask lol

So GI office called. My crp blood work was normal but my SED was slightly elevated?! What does that mean? How can my inflammation levels not be so high if I. In so much pain??

GI was not into.,.soni have to wait til tomorrow to see what's next. :(

I am wondering whether you have a bit of a blockage, especially if you are now constipated. I would say if the pain gets bad enough to go back to the hospital and tell them you are not leaving until they do some proper checks.
Angrybird...I was just reading my chart and I had a small blockage in 2008, 2011, 2012 (may). I am wondering if I have ANOTHER small (partial) blockage . It's been quit a few days since a BM.

Last edited:

Angrybird

Sorry I have not been able to get back to you earlier hun, I have had a slight pregnancy hiccup. How are things at the moment? I would say it is possible to have a blockage without sky high inflammation levels, when my stricture was found via colonoscopy my bloods were still within normal tolerances. Also is the slit still present? I have not heard of this before but if it is still there and has gotten worse it is worth at least having it looked at by your GP.

Hi. I went from an emergency CT scan yesterday and the doc is suppose to call me this am. Still no BM (tomorrow will be a week) a very tiny bit of gas early this am (I guess that's good). My stomach still really hirts and is bloated however I STILL don't feel the need need to have a BM?

I found some where on this site about the split. Lol actually seems to be common with IBD. Who would have ever known .

Hope you are doing well

O..and my blockages in the past was called ileus? Also Slight prominence of the post bulbar duodenal folds?

O..and I was wrong..not putting me on Humira but Imurain (sp?)

Angrybird

I have been on the Imuran and it did do well with settling the tum. I am concerned though about the lack of bm's, definetly start chasing the doc if you have not heard anything by lunchtime.

I have been on the Imuran and it did do well with settling the tum. I am concerned though about the lack of bm's, definetly start chasing the doc if you have not heard anything by lunchtime.
Yea I just called them AGAIN. I'm sure they are sick of me lol. I took 2tramadol and it help a lil with the pain.

What I got was dr is not in till this afternoon and she will call you as soon as she gets in. I was like seriously they thought possible bowel obstruction and you want me to wait. She she sorry that's all I can do.

I lloked in my chart and 2/2012 and 5/2012 I had ileus. They never told me and sent me home both times. I really worried now. I wonder why they do not take this obstruction/blockage serious?

Angrybird

If it comes to it go back to the hospital and say you think you have an obstruction and they should have access to your scan results. You shouldn't have to b kept waiting with something as important as this.

I see an gyn for the cyst Tuesday. Apparently it can cause pressure on my Bowles not allowing mr to go, stomach bloating, pain.

In the mean time my GI is acing me take tool softness and mirlax to try to gt me to go. If still no BM tomorrow I am to call her back.

I also have a low grade fever of 100 now. My friend is a nurse and checked my heart rate and its 136 right now. She wants me to go to er too but our hospital is not all that great personally

Well I decided to wait in my doc to call ack. She never did :( still no BM . My pain decreased a lil. (Or it might be because I took 2 tramadol and a Tylenol.

If still bad I'm going to hospital tomorrow.

Still no BM. No change . I have felt pain in my vag and rectum when I pee (sharp shooting pain). So I'm sure that's the cyst.

And I am assuming the cyst still there since still no period or BM

So I went to er. No blockages. They think with me not eating a whole lot that's why I'm not going??!!? My 4 cm cyst is still there. I did finally after10 days have a BM. They gave me this clear stuff to drink (a whole bottle) and I finally went a lil.

They are positive my stomach pain , nausea and vomiting is still from the IBD. I go Friday to GI to talk about hopefully starting Imuran.

I also go to gyn to or row (Tuesday) to talk about watching the cyst or removing it. I never had a cyst stop me from having my menstrual .

I think I also have noticed when I drink coffee that encourages my vomiting.
My list is growing...no beef, corn, salad and now coffee :(

I am new, but was reading your thread. I do get that paper cut irritation your talking about. Also I will go days constipated and then it's like the dam breaks with diarrhea.

I take it that the x-ray was to see whether your bowel was 'backed up'? I don't whether the cyst could be causing the pain?
I read cyst can cause some of that pain as it gets bigger. But from what I read 4 cm is big but not that big? It's the size of a golf ball. And yes X-ray was to make sure no blockage or backed up.

Let me know when you can on how today goes.
My cyst has leaked a very lil so it's a lil smaller (not much) doc was surprised how she felt it and its very squishy. She did a vag ultra sound and saw that it moves and twist :( I ave to go ack in 4 weeks and if still there I have to have surgery.

Were they able to explain why you are in so much pain or is this down to this GI appt you have on Friday? Is there any improvement with bm's?
Well I ended up having emergency surgery last night. Just got home. My bowel(by the appendix ...ascending??) was stuck to my florian tube . My bowel(the long long at top...transverse??) was also stuck to my stomach. My bowel was full of poop the pictures showed my bowel all bumpy. Also part of it was really red so my gyn assumed information. She also said my transverse colon was being pulled down. Also a lot of white matter on the top of my bowel she had no idea what it was.

My gyn took LOTS of pics for my GI. I am FINALLY having a BM.
My BM are now bloody of course :(
I am on antibotics too.

Angrybird

Oh goodness, how on earth did they miss this at the hospital!?!?!? What did the surgery actually entail?Are you seeing your GI today still? How are you feeling?

Oh goodness, how on earth did they miss this at the hospital!?!?!? What did the surgery actually entail?Are you seeing your GI today still? How are you feeling?
I have no idea how the hospital missed all that. Nothing showed up on ct or ultra sound except for the cyst (which ended up being normal when they went in to take it out ...and they ended up leaving that and u doing everything else). So they un did my bowel attachment to the florian tube and the stomach. She left everything else alone as she was a gyn not a general surgeon or a GI surgeon. She is convinced I def have bowel issues . I am not seeing my GI today I had my mom cancel for me because I didn't get home til 8 pm last night and I can't drive for 2 weeks. And plus when I go to GI I want to be able to show all those pics my gyn took (like 54 pics for the GI) .

I hope the doc still will put me on Imuran to treat this IBD. The last time I spoke to my GI she was thinking my IBD was not active (even though I'm positive it is now with the bloody /mucus "D" and the red inflammation gyn saw ) but also thought I had IBS because of my constipation. So we shall see.

I am very sore and feel nauseated but I truely do feel better! :ybiggrin:

Angrybird

Please keep me updated on you are getting on, I really hope this can be a turning point in getting things sorted for you. I am going into hospital next week to be induced to have the baby so at some point I will disappear for a little while but I will check in as soon as I can.

Please keep me updated on you are getting on, I really hope this can be a turning point in getting things sorted for you. I am going into hospital next week to be induced to have the baby so at some point I will disappear for a little while but I will check in as soon as I can.
Will do...and I hope this is a Turing point too (I hope the pictures also help the GI) . Congrats on your new arrival (very soon ) :)