Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Imuran/Azathioprine/6-MP » Pneumoccal Vaccine and 6mp

02-06-2013, 05:24 PM   #1
kh216
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Pneumoccal Vaccine and 6mp

I am presently on 6mp for Crohn's. Since this is an immunosuppressant, my gastro doctor said that I should get the pneumoccal vaccine, even though I am under 65 years old. After getting the vaccine, I had a very sore and swollen arm, fever, and a rash that was diagnosed with cellulitis. My primary doctor prescribed me Bactrim for the cellulitis.

Is this strong reaction due to my being on 6mp?
02-06-2013, 05:37 PM   #2
mbishop

Not really likely due to the 6MP. The Pneumococcal vaccine is not a live virus vaccine (so no risk there due to the immunosuppressant). The largest risk with 6MP outside of live agent vaccines is that it will be slightly less effective, though the data on that is sketchy with 6MP.

The reaction and cellulitis are more likely caused by contamination (on the needle, on the vaccine container, or environmental) while getting the shot.
02-06-2013, 08:18 PM   #3
hawkeye
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I am on Imuran and get the flu shot each year - some years the arm hurts more than others.

Diagnosed since 1990
Current Medications: None currently. Was on Imuran (150mg/day) and 5-ASA (3000 mg/day) as maintenance meds prior to surgery
Surgeries: Left hemicolectomy 2014.

Last edited by hawkeye; 02-06-2013 at 08:19 PM. Reason: spelling
02-06-2013, 08:46 PM   #4
kh216
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I spoke with my gastro doctor and he is blaming the reaction on my low white blood count. My low white blood count is caused by taking 6mp,

However, I didn't think that the shot itself could be contaminated. That is an interesting idea.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Imuran/Azathioprine/6-MP » Pneumoccal Vaccine and 6mp