Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » Anyone Try Hemp Protein?

02-06-2013, 05:25 PM   #1
Elitepete

Anyone Try Hemp Protein?

Hi everyone. Long time reader but first time poster here. I've had Crohn's for over 15 years and I have recently decided to go Vegan. Only problem is, I have to find a way to supplement Protein. I have tried a few different types of protein powders (Pea and Soy), but they are triggers for me. So really the only other protein powder left is Hemp. So I was wondering if anyone has tried Hemp powder and whether or not they had any issues with it. I'm especially interested in responses from people who have had a negative experience with it. Thanks.
02-06-2013, 06:02 PM   #2
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
I find it scratchy and irritating. I have experimented with all foods and am a former vegan. It's very hard to be a healthy vegan with crohns in my opinion.
02-06-2013, 07:51 PM   #3
Charleigh
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Gianni was a vegan for a while. I will tag him in this post to see if he has any thoughts?

I do wonder, why vegan? Is it for health purposes or for conscience sake?
My daughter is a strict vegetarian. It is nice that she is not vegan. She eats eggs and cheese and that is helpful.

My only thought is lots of nut butters and nut flours/meals. Full fat coconut milk whipped with honey to make whipped cream would add nice fat.
Enteral Nutrition
02-06-2013, 08:03 PM   #4
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
I think Gianni is still vegan and 80% raw?
02-06-2013, 08:12 PM   #5
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
By the way welcome to the forum glad you decided to join. I'd also be concerned about the high fiber content of hemp protein. I hope you are only doing the powder and not the seed but even so it's high in fiber.

Is your disease active? How are you dealing with fiber from fruit and veg? I don't mean to play devils advocate. I would be a vegan in a heartbeat if my body allowed it.
02-06-2013, 08:21 PM   #6
Gianni

My Support Groups:
hi Pete and welcome to the forum

I was vegan for all of 2012. I did supplement my protein with hemp protein and I found that it agreed with me. I did try soy and it was a definite trigger and now I stay away from soy as much as possible. Even though I did supplement hemp protein, I rarely did. My reason for this is I believe that as long as you are eating, then you are getting enough protein. Kind of like you are getting enough oxygen if you are breathing. I believe we as a society have this "protein protein protein" mentality when really we should be worried about other food nutrients. Protein starts at the plant level and as long as you are eating healthy vegetables and leafy greens I really think you will be getting enough protein.

But hey, many people like their protein so yes hemp worked well for me but I also have heard of many others who have had problems with particularly the bulk and fibrous nature of hemp. Only thing to do is try it

Goodluck

Gianni

JUICING! click here!
02-06-2013, 09:08 PM   #7
Elitepete

Thanks for the replies everyone. And I apologize for the late response. Only came back from school.

Nogutsnoglory: I agree, it's extremely difficult, considering Crohnies have extra restrictions on top of an already restrictive diet. I may end up making some exceptions (at least for the Omega 3 and the Protein, since they are very difficult to get through a Vegan diet). Also, I think that the fiber in the Hemp powder shouldn't be a problem because I already eat lots of fiber (I eat lots of Oatmeal and raw fruits/vegetables). Also, I have been in remission for a long time (5+ years). The only thing I worry about is getting enough high quality protein in vegan sources because there isn't much of it.

Charleigh: my reasons were all the above: health, ethical, as well as environmental. Also, I eat plenty of fats because I eat various nuts (at least the ones I can tolerate).

Gianni: I generally agree with you about getting enough Protein through diet. But that really only applies to omnivores, not vegans. It's quite difficult getting good, high quality proteins (with all 9 Amino Acids) through plants only. In fact, I did a diet analysis with my nutritionist and it turned out I was only getting about 60% of my daily required Protein, even though I was eating a great deal of protein (or so I though), mainly through Nuts and Oatmeal.
02-06-2013, 09:37 PM   #8
bangarang

I did hemp protein for post workouts no problems.

Unless your not eating you get enough protein through diet. Don't understand what 60% daily requirement of protein means I have yet to meet or hear about anyone diagnose with protein deficiency. That also includes vegans who only eat like 35grams of protein a day for many many years yet have no health issues.
02-07-2013, 11:21 AM   #9
mnsun

It is distinctly granular when chewing/swallowing, and I haven't found a perfect mixer. I think some sort of smoothy (strawberry/cherry/banana) with cacao powder could mask the taste, but I haven't perfected it yet. I only take it on occasion. I had a smoothie with cacao, dark cherries, hemp nuts, honey and homemade goat kefir last night. That was pretty good. The tang of the kefir was a little weird.

Here's a protein bar recipe from Gianni I've been meaning to try:
If you have a food processor you can throw in some dates, peanut butter, a banana, coconut oil, coconut shavings, and hemp protein powder. Then spread evenly onto a cookie sheet and then throw in the freezer. I just cut out a piece and throw it back in the freezer. They are honestly so delicious, my family fights over them whenever I make them.
02-07-2013, 05:26 PM   #10
My Curse Is My Gift

I have so much respect for you even wanting to try a vegan diet with Crohn's. I cannot say anything about it except it wouldn't work for me but I wanted to just let you know that I hope it works and wish you the best of luck with it!

DX: Crohn's; November 14, 2011. PSC; May 2012
Last flare-up: November 6-13, 2011
Meds: NONE since February 2012
Previous meds: Entocort and Imuran
02-07-2013, 11:36 PM   #11
Elitepete

Here's a protein bar recipe from Gianni I've been meaning to try:
If you have a food processor you can throw in some dates, peanut butter, a banana, coconut oil, coconut shavings, and hemp protein powder. Then spread evenly onto a cookie sheet and then throw in the freezer. I just cut out a piece and throw it back in the freezer. They are honestly so delicious, my family fights over them whenever I make them.
Sounds yummy. I'll have to try it out sometime
12-10-2015, 03:11 PM   #12
Ozman

Thanks for the replies everyone. And I apologize for the late response. Only came back from school.

Nogutsnoglory: I agree, it's extremely difficult, considering Crohnies have extra restrictions on top of an already restrictive diet. I may end up making some exceptions (at least for the Omega 3 and the Protein, since they are very difficult to get through a Vegan diet). Also, I think that the fiber in the Hemp powder shouldn't be a problem because I already eat lots of fiber (I eat lots of Oatmeal and raw fruits/vegetables). Also, I have been in remission for a long time (5+ years). The only thing I worry about is getting enough high quality protein in vegan sources because there isn't much of it.

Charleigh: my reasons were all the above: health, ethical, as well as environmental. Also, I eat plenty of fats because I eat various nuts (at least the ones I can tolerate).

Gianni: I generally agree with you about getting enough Protein through diet. But that really only applies to omnivores, not vegans. It's quite difficult getting good, high quality proteins (with all 9 Amino Acids) through plants only. In fact, I did a diet analysis with my nutritionist and it turned out I was only getting about 60% of my daily required Protein, even though I was eating a great deal of protein (or so I though), mainly through Nuts and Oatmeal.
If possible could you please share your story on how you achieved remission
12-12-2015, 03:53 PM   #13
kiny

If you really need protein, maybe reconsider cheating on your vegan diet for protein?

All quality protein come from animal sources, not plants. Protein sources from plants don't have a good amino acid profile and are not bioavailable enough, so they are hard to digest and take up. Albumin (eggs) and Whey (seperated during cheese production), are the best protein sources.

One of those amino acids you need, that are plentiful in meat, but lacking in plants, is Glutamine and Aspartate , they repair your small intestine and mucosa, without them, your intestine can't heal itself. They're found in dairy products and meat.

Studies support this, vegetarians using plants as a source of protein, are lacking specific amino acids and protein in general leading to protein malnutrition.

Last edited by kiny; 12-12-2015 at 04:19 PM.
12-12-2015, 11:16 PM   #14
Ozman

Is egg white okay ? Eggs trigger allergies you know and are they safe for crohns ?

Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » Anyone Try Hemp Protein?